Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Kindle Touch Software-Update 5.3.2

You get it here:

German:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/help/custome...deId=200841660

And the "improvements" are:

Die folgenden Funktionen sind im Software-Update enthalten:

•Neue Benutzeroberfläche
•Verbesserte Kindersicherung
•Buchcover
•Lesefortschritt
•Empfohlene Inhalte
•Verbesserte Leseproben
•Navigation in Graphic Novels und Comics

English:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

This software update includes the following new features:
•A new user interface
•Whispersync for Voice
•Enhanced Parental Controls
•Book Covers
•Time-to-Read
•Recommended Content
•Enhanced book samples
•Navigate graphic novels, and comics

most likely they messed up the whole System again.
NOT installed yet, wait for first reports if it is worth to do ...

Actually updating the KT of my sister in law ... hahaha, so I do not spoil mine.

Last edited by diba; 01-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Yay, new obfuscation! (probably, I haven't yet looked into the update)
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
most likely they messed up the whole System again.
NOT installed yet, wait for first reports if it is worth to do ...

Actually updating the KT of my sister in law ... hahaha, so I do not spoil mine.
Since it is part of the 5.3.x series of (locked down) firmware -

I strongly suggest you leave that update alone until one of the dev's here can check if the Jailbreak survives the update.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... but as it's Kindle Touch, even if it locks down everything, that's not really an issue. They can't disable USB downloader mode on the Touch, so we'll always be able to get into fastboot and diags.

Edit: Might be different for the Paperwhite, which I assume will also get this update. Then again, on the PW, one can always downgrade to 5.3.1...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

OK UI is looking nice, seems to be the same as on PW (I do not own one .... yet).
I have not had a look under the hood of the "thing", best I wait for ixtab swearing at Amazon ...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
MarvinO
MarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolateMarvinO is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Touch
Just checked the patch file with kindletool. It contains the new fonts.cramfs.img framework for fonts like the PW, but all the fonts are OLD 5.1.0 (and 5.1.1, 5.1.2) versions! This is not a matter of PW screen resolution - K4 has the same resolution screen as Touch and has newer fonts in its version 4.1.0.
MarvinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
diba
Addict

@ixtab, I see you have a full set of kindles now ...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... but as it's Kindle Touch, even if it locks down everything, that's not really an issue. They can't disable USB downloader mode on the Touch, so we'll always be able to get into fastboot and diags.
Sure - we can.

But still the common (non-hacker) user would probably like to know if they are about to lose all of their customizations.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries. It simply fails with error 006 if modifications are present.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Panel view on the touch: I want to try it...
BTW, I'm locking down my wifi until I know something more!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Interesting that the new K5 Touch firmware version number leapfrogged over the latest PW firmware version.

I wonder if they will come out with new firmware that supports all K5s (Touch and Paperwhite), similar to how 4.1.0 supports both silver and black K4s.

And will PWs that come with 5.3.2 (or later) need an all new jailbreak?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
ENABLE_DIAGS is being ignored but as I expected, you can get to the diags by mfgtool. Stupid Amazon...
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

... and none of the known jailbreak methods work. I'll go and watch TV now.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
... (my fault)

Last edited by mmatej; 01-08-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: my stupidity
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
/etc/uks/ is missing. I am going to install usbnet firstlz and then look at it.
No, it's not missing. Copying the pubdevkey01.pem there (from a booted diags) works, and you can install usbnet using the update.bin afterwards.