Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Marcus365
The Bayou Classic1
Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: none
Name A Book (if any) that had a profound effect on you.

Name a book (if any) that had a profound effect on you and changed your perspective or outlook on life.

Last edited by Marcus365; 03-06-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Marcus365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Why don't you answer this yourself and expound on it a little?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Blithe
Blithe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Why don't you answer this yourself and expound on it a little?
Why don't you answer it rather than telling the OP to expound?
Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Posts "ordering" others to do something, without giving a reason why, can come across as a little authoritarian.

Rather than saying:

Quote:
Name a book (if any) that had a profound effect on you and changed your perspective or outlook on life.
It might perhaps be better worded as something like:

Quote:
Such-and-such a book had a profound effect on me because.....
Have you been similarly affected by any book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Peter Singer's Animal Liberation was a bit of an eye-opener for me, the book itself had some flaws, but it lead me to read more on the subject to fill in the gaps (Tom Regan's The case for Animal Rights, Gary L. Francione's Rain Without Thunder, and Mark Rowlands' Animal Rights were good.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
jeremy young
jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jeremy young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablet
Why don't you....
Why don't you...
Switchofyourtelevisionsetandgoanddosomethinglessbo ringinsteadsittingathomewatchingtvturnitoffitsnogo odtome.....

A curious song for a TV program.

Ummmmmm.....

Brian Patten, Little Johnny's Confession.
jeremy young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Non Fiction:
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Bottom Feeder by Teras Gresco
Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman
These books had a profound impact on me resulting in permanent changes I've made too ow I live my life.

Fiction:
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
The Cellest of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blithe View Post
Why don't you answer it rather than telling the OP to expound?
I asked, the OP told. You should try to get that right before asking me to do as the OP commanded. I also think it's poor style for an OP to require something s/he he doesn't offer, as Harry pointed out.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One book that had a profound effect on me (and I'm serious here) is Twilight. When it initially came out I thought it was brilliant. I was one of the early fans of the book, and recommended it to my friends. Some time after it became really huge and before we went to see the movie, I decided to give the book a second go.

I'd experienced the same feeling as liking a book in the past, but not digging it in the present. At that time I was rereading it, I've grown to be more observant in books, especially the characterization. And it ended up that the book's characterizations put me off. It got me to realize I was getting better at book insights. That was a profound feeling for me.

I guess the usual answers for this thread are the smart, classy books that usually leave you a profound feeling. But I can't forget the intense reaction I had (and profanities I may have uttered) while rereading twilight. And that wins personally for me anyway, hands down.
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Perhaps the OP is merely looking for suggestions?
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Perhaps the OP is merely looking for suggestions?
Then he could take it to the Reading Recommendations forum and ask.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Johnny Got His Gun," by Dalton Trumbo changed my life and has never left. It's almost always in my mind when I think about extraordinary books.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
Marcus365
The Bayou Classic1
Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.Marcus365 writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: none
There are a few books that had a profound effect on me but the two that come to mind immediately are "The Forgotten Heroes" by Clinton Cox and "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu. "The Forgotten Heroes" is an profoundly interesting story altogether, not to mention an account of actual events and "The Art Of War" is just profoundly insightful in too many ways to list. "The Art Of War" is the ultimate do it yourself manual in terms of discipline and virtues. "The Book Of Virtues" By William J Bennett is another great read also.

and Yes Joe Hunt, the op is looking for suggestions...minus the merely point, aren't we all. If not then what's the point in blogging?

Last edited by Marcus365; 03-08-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Marcus365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus365 View Post
and Yes Joe Hunt, the op is looking for suggestions...minus the merely point, aren't we all. If not then what's the point in blogging?
You realize that participating in this forum is not actually "blogging", don't you?

If you meant "what's the point in participating in a forum", then for me, I participate to discuss things that interest me.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Three that immediately come to mind are Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, Anna Sewell's Black Beauty, and Woodward and Bernstein's All the President's Men.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote