Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
bektamun
bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle
Fast Pencil

Just wondering if anyone has heard of used this service. Fast Pencil

Experience with them, good/bad? Advice or feedback?
bektamun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #2
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
No experience, but just looking at the website, I don't like them.

a) They pretend Amazon and Kindle are different things.
b) Since a) already makes them look dishonest, the way the "testimony" under the "Sell" box almost-quotes the "Sell" box makes me suspicious they made it up themselves.
c) You have to pay $150 for them to publish on 4 platforms plus their own, which they pretend are 5 by pretending Amazon and Kindle are different things.
d) I get the impression they are mostly interested in upselling services, including charging you $49 if you'd like to change the price of the book. Seems like you even have to buy your own ebook copy if you want to see if formatting turned out OK...
e) They take a 20% cut (example calculations for ebooks at the bottom here))

Smashwords AFAICT takes a smaller cut, and certainly distributes to more ebook retailers (including Kobo, which I see as important because they don't limit sales to the USA).

I guess if fastpencil actually does good work with the editing services and such, that might be worth it - it would save you work looking for an editor and formatter yourself - particularly if you are confident about selling a lot of books. But I have no idea about that.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
bektamun
bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.bektamun knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle
Anke, I wasn't overly impressed with Fast Pencil myself. But I didn't want to dismiss them as an option without doing a little investigation.

Among the several forums I'm involved, no has heard of them let alone used them. At this stage I'm fairly sure I'll be going with Smashwords.

Appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.
bektamun is offline   Reply With Quote