Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Mindtrap
Mindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMindtrap has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle
How I converted an epub dictionary to mobi format

I recently received a series of great translating dictionaries in epub format. Here is how I converted them to a working mobi dictionary for use on the kindle:

- unzip epub file
- convert html files to tab delimited files
- concatenate and sort tab delimited files
- convert tab delimited file to opf format using tab2opf.py
- edit metadata
- convert opf file to mobi file using kindlegen

This resulted in a mobi file that was recognised as a dictionary by the kindle. The non-obvious steps are detailed below.

Convert HTML to tab delimited files
The HTML files in the epub container consist of 2 lines per word: one line like this:
Code:
<p class="ww"><sub>qword</sub></p>
and one like this:
Code:
<p><span class="gag">word</span> ...
I wrote the attached perl script (htmldict2tab.pl) to convert this to the tab delimited format required by tab2opf.py

Convert tab delimited file to opf format using tab2opf.py
I found this python script at http://www.klokan.cz/projects/stardict-lingea/

Edit metadata
Edit the .opf file generated by tab2opf.py and set the title etc. to the desired values. The following tags might be important to get it working:

Code:
<DictionaryInLanguage>en-us</DictionaryInLanguage>
<DictionaryOutLanguage>en-us</DictionaryOutLanguage>
Convert opf file to mobi file using kindlegen
Kindlegen is provided for free by amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

Everything together
You can use the following (clumsy) script to automate all this a bit more:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Argument 1: epub file to convert

TMPDIR=/tmp/convertvandale
MYDIR=`dirname "$0"`;

mkdir $TMPDIR
unzip -d $TMPDIR "$1" 

for i in $TMPDIR/content/*.html; do "$MYDIR/dicthtml2tab.pl" $i >  $i.tab; done
cat $TMPDIR/content/*.tab |sort > $TMPDIR/dictionary.tab
python "$MYDIR/tab2opf.py"
Attached Files
File Type: pl dicthtml2tab.pl (371 Bytes, 619 views)

Last edited by Mindtrap; 06-30-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Mindtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Thanks very much for that post Mindtrap and welcome to Mobile Read.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Buddhaxe
Buddhaxe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi All,

Did anybody try the instruction above? I have no experience whatsoever with Pearl or Python so i'm really struggling to get this working.

Could anyone help with this?

When I run the script I get "Can't exec /bin/sh at test.pl line 1."

Thanks a lot in advance!
Buddhaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, epub, kindle, mobi