Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Linux 2.6 Kernel Port for the Iliad

Greetings Everybody!

Since iRex has now provided quite a few developers and users with the "Reflash from CF" package and will provide it to the mainstream with the next (2.11) release, it is time to start thinking about more deep-down modifications for the Iliad.

iRex has actually gone ahead and asked on their own forum whether anyone would be willing to work on a Linux 2.6 Kernel Port for the Iliad.
Our most beloved () developer Adam B. has already started a thread on this here in the Developers Section and Antartica has stated willingness to give it a try...
Since there have been only a few responses to either topic so far I decided to give this a place on the frontpage and call out to all Linux Developers out there:

If you are willing and able to help with porting the 2.6 Kernel to the Iliad, then now is the time to join the fray and earn a place in the Iliad Hall-of-Fame!

Please use the two threads linked above if you want to help and/or give encouragement to the developers.
Thanks!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What would be the benefit of running an updated kernel? Would it permit a wider range of applications to be ported to the iLiad?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
First and i think the most important a better management of the battery, we don't know if we can solve the hibernation/sleep problem with the 2.6 but i'm sure that the management power of the 2.6 is better than the 2.4

For my limit knowdelage i will read all the forum related to this but i can't do anything this "big", if i see a little problem and i can solve i will post the solution.

I was thinking that all of we can have the "booting from the CF", are you telling that all people in the 2.11 will be granted with these package ¿?
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
The device handling would be much improved. Especially for USB. It would make the iLiad an interesting device for controlling hardware. I work for Code Mercenaries (http://www.codemercs.com). For our IOWarrior we only have a 2.6 driver for example. The slow screen update may be hampering some applications, but controlling and storing the data for later display is well within its power. Many robots work with phones or PDAs as computer.

Please port the current 2.6.23 kernel. I do know that USB support is in hot development. USB OTG is not yet fully supported so the newest kernel is a requirement.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would be the benefit of running an updated kernel? Would it permit a wider range of applications to be ported to the iLiad?
My personal pet peeve is ARM EABI support (2.6.16 and greater). With that, it would be feasible to use Debian armel experimental branch binaries out-of-the-box. It would also be possible to peruse Nokia's Maemo development CDs for N800 and N770 (as they also use EABI).

Of course, it would have a lot of other benefits (better power management, etc), the one above is sufficient for me to try to help a bit :-).

P.S.: The problem with using normal Debian ARM port binaries is that they use a form of floating point support that is VERY slow. The iliad right now uses another form of floating point support that is way faster, but that means compiling "in a special way". Using ARM EABI we would get the best of both worlds (fast and compatible with other distributions if we put the needed libraries in)... In fact, even OE (OpenEmbeded, the distribution that the iliad uses) is migrating to EABI too. Hope this clears it up a bit
Antartica is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
Will the SD driver continue to work with the 2.6 kernel? I was under the impression that all of the secure digital device drivers were binary blobs that were only being supported for the ARM 2.4 kernel tree. Has this changed?
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm afraid all I can contribute is an offer to test. But I think it's a great idea.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote