Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
langmarp
langmarp began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
scanned book to epub

Hi!

I have many books and articles scanned into pdf. I would like to read and annotate these properly in epub format on my BeBook Neo.

Before converting I do the OCR with Acrobat Pro.
I have tried Calibre to convert, but it has many weaknesses, for example can not properly delete the header and footer.
(The best would be to find a software, which runs under Ubuntu.)

Any idea?

Thank you!

Last edited by langmarp; 07-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
langmarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by langmarp View Post
Hi!

I have many books and articles scanned into pdf. I would like to read and annotate these properly in epub format on my BeBook Neo.

Before converting I do the OCR with Acrobat Pro.
I have tried Calibre to convert, but it has many weaknesses, for example can not properly delete the header and footer.

Any idea?

Thank you!
If you *have* Acrobat Pro, why aren't you doing an 'Export' to either Word's .doc, .html, .rtf or .txt??? And if you're creating scanned images as a first step, have you considered setting up a batch file, in GIMP or Photoshop, to 'trim out' the headers and footers from the scanned page images???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by langmarp View Post
Have you tried cropping off the headers and footers with something like BRISS before attempting the OCR? (Heck, you should be able to do that in Acrobat too, right?)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
langmarp
langmarp began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
if you're creating scanned images as a first step, have you considered setting up a batch file, in GIMP or Photoshop, to 'trim out' the headers and footers from the scanned page images???
I do not exactly know, what you mean, but I will try my best. acrobat, briss or gimp...

to use acrobat pro to export a pdf to .doc/.txt/.rtf keeps the header, footer >> same problem, than with epub

thank you!
langmarp is offline   Reply With Quote