Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Removing Headers/Footers Help?

Does anyone know a tool/program (preferably for mac) that'll remove the title/author/page numbers in bulk from the top/bottoms of all book pages? Abbyy Finereader demands that I do it one page at a time, and it's very annoying.

If I just crop all the pages in preview, that doesn't help, 'cause when I convert the book to an rtf the headers/footers are still there. Any suggestions?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
These are PDFs?

Here's an old thread about this issue, which may help.

Could you just use a regex find and replace to remove the headers from the rtf afterwards? What are you using for the PDF>RTF conversion? Calibre lets you use regex expressions to remove headers and footers too when converting:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/conversion.html
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

I'm using ABByy fine reader to OCR/convert the pdf to rtf.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I'm using ABByy fine reader to OCR/convert the pdf to rtf.
When saving to Word, there's an option in Finereader to remove headers/footers (check the save options). Then you can open the file in Word (I do spellchecking and rough proofing at this stage) and save to .rtf. The file will be bloated, but reopening it in Wordpad and resaving it will fix that.

Last edited by wayrad; 04-16-2010 at 09:22 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist

Hn, I have Abbyy Finereader for mac... I don't see save options anywhere....

Last edited by Anarel; 04-16-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Hn, I have Abbyy Finereader for mac... I don't see save options anywhere....
I don't have access to the Mac version, but it's fairly well hidden in FineReader 9.0 for Windows. In the Text window, select Word as the save format. In the drop-down list (Exact Copy, Editable text, etc.) select Options. The Options window has a checkbox for whether to save headers and footers. Alternatively, when you click the Save button, the Save Pages window will appear, and it has an Options button too.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
If you have an image based PDF, there are some utilities for cropping those PDFS to remove headers and footers. If you have a text based PDF, you can use the pdfreflow command line utility, also described in the PDF forum, to create an HTML. You can then used TextEdit to convert an HTML file to a RTF file.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Mamaijee
Connoisseur
Mamaijee doesn't litterMamaijee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Removing Headers/Footers Help?

I am using Calibre for PDF>RTF, but I dont know how to use regex ecpressions.
Can u explain a bit please - I read thru that portion of the manual also but it goes way over my head -
Thank u
Mamaijee
================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
These are PDFs?

Here's an old thread about this issue, which may help.

Could you just use a regex find and replace to remove the headers from the rtf afterwards? What are you using for the PDF>RTF conversion? Calibre lets you use regex expressions to remove headers and footers too when converting:
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/conversion.html
Mamaijee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've never done it, so I'm not the best person to ask. Apparently there's a Wizard for it. Try the wizard. If it doesn't help, ask in the calibre forum.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I'm formatting an eBook but could only get my hands on the press ready PDF. I tried all the export options in Acrobat and most left a paragraph break at the end of every line.

I found success when I output it to html. Double click it and cut and paste from the browser.

The occasional footer did sneak in.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
I would suggest using Acrobat as you can export without headers and footers, best thing to do would be export as rtf without headers and footers, if this works export as HTML and tidy up with regex in dreamweaver.

If you need any help feel free to add me to skype: nedknowles
---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote