Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #76
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
As someone with essential tremors -which often comes with aging- I could not use any of the touch screens that were new 2 yrs ago. They either didn't respond, or skipped 2 or 3 pages or suddenly went somewhere else .... from a book page, I'd suddenly be back to the menu or in settings, etc.. Even the store clerks agreed that touch was not for me. I haven't tried more recent ones.
Also, the size of your hands are a consideration. From the tip of my middle finger to the base of my palm is just over 6"; with hand spread open, from tip of little finger to tip of thumb is 7½" . When holding a reader with one hand, having to move a thumb or finger causes me to lose all stability.
My clunky little ereader works fine for just reading books; it has both buttons and a slide bar to turn pages.
But, I did recently buy a 7" tablet with a touch screen and it does quite well for me, although the stylus works MUCH better than fingers. I don't plan to use it for reading - or only occasionally for short periods, like waiting for a Dr appt. If I need to do more than read, then it is extremely handy to toss in my purse and take along. I love my laptop, but no way does it fit in my purse or shoulder bag!
The case I have for the tablet has a keyboard which connects via usb and that is WAY better than the on-screen keyboard where I basically have to use the stylus and even a short note takes forever.
Do any of the touchscreen readers have a way to adjust the 'touch' sensitivity? If not, then I am another one that hopes buttons are here to stay on at least some basic models.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote