Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Downgrade Kindle 3.x Kernel to 3.0.2 (on linux k3flasher) to provide forensic 3.3

So... You've installed a custom 3.x Kernel and now they released 3.4...

What are your options?
  • Rollback the modules to a 3.3 clean copy of the files
    (you would need a backup copy, this won't apply to most people)

Try Update

if it fails? Maybe you installed a custom kernel (too)?
  • Extract the 3.3 kernel from the official update using Nilujes KindleTool

Try Update

if it fails?
  • Remove any random jailbreaks that are ligging around

Try Update

if that fails???
  • Roll back to a 3.0.2 and do the complete upgrade steps.
    It is worth noting that this final method also does not flatten your documents just as the others don't

Where can I get a 3.x Kernel Image if I don't have one?

Niluje says:
Quote:
@twobob: ... the 3.3 update (like the 3.4) was a 'full kernel' update, not a patch, so, the full kernel is there for the taking right in the official update package.
However for my exercise in debricking / image extraction I will be using an older kernel and updating. If someone would prefer there is a python script or suite of tools to aid in extraction. ( ./kindle_update_tool.py or the newer Niluje solution) that can be found here on dev corner. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187880

Quote:
Geekmaster provide links to a pristine 3.0.2W kernel image that can be pushed onto the device via ATK or k3flasher (The 3.3 image was lost in the Gitbrew deaths) http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT
Alas, the one I (and most probably others) need would be a 3.3 [3G + Wifi], but this one is not on the table AFAIK. (unless you extract it from the official update)

Thus rolling back to the 3.0.2 and applying the updates incrementally is a long but safe option. This is a long job and you would probably be better off going Nilujes way

However I will be rolling back and updating:

a) Select your weapons -
Quote:
I have chosen the very excellent k3flasher by hawhill. It's embryonic and but should get the job done in linux. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310
Quote:
You might also choose the ATK route, the wiki has a debricking via USB with ATK on windows howto by qlob
b) Get an Image (I'm going for the 3.0.2 Kernel and File system)

c) grab a copy of mx35to2_mmc.bin from the ATK install (you can just install it in wine and grab the file out)

HINT (/home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/freescale/AdvancedToolKit-STD/image/*)

c) Put K3flasher in a listening state
sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info

d) put your device in USB Downloader mode

Quote:
This MUST work. It is a HARDWARE function that does not use mmc.

Plug into computer USB, press power until LED off (back off a little so you can see the LED status), press Vol-, the release power. It times out after a bit I think, so you need to use k3flasher or ATK soon after the new VID/PID are detected.
me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher $ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info

Quote:
I: found suitable device
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B006C0D319990Q6P>
I: got device Wifi MAC <29FF099099FF>
Okay we have a connection:

Let's push across the kernel

me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher $ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel ./k3w-kernel-factory.img

Wait a longish time

Quote:
I: flashed 0x001a0000 (=1703936) bytes
I: flashed 0x001b0000 (=1769472) bytes
I: flashed 0x001c0000 (=1835008) bytes
I: flashed 0x001d0000 (=1900544) bytes
I: flashed 0x001e0000 (=1966080) bytes
I: flashed 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes to address 0x28dc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashing of 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes complete
now the file system

me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher $ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs ./mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img

This will take about 3 hours to cook...
(you charging it though? Right)

Next steps, test this works after a reboot (worked fine for me)

You should see Kindle version 3.0.2 in your Settings Page on the kindle.

MENU -> SETTINGS (in the status bar at the bottom)
(3.0.2 (999999blah) I see this)

FROM THIS POINT YOU ARE GOOD... if you are just trying to get a fixed device just upgrade it now. to whatever version.

MY NOTES NOW CONTINUE

Next up get the various (and correct) Amazon updates for your device:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&tag=pamisl-20

first copy the extracted 3.1 update from link (Update_kindle_3.1_B00x.bin) above to /mnt/us and do a restart from the MENU -> SETTINGS -> MENU -> RESTART

Here's where it gets weird...

Quote:
install 3.1, then 3.3, and then install 3.4
says amazon...

But when I finished installing the Update_kindle_3.1_B006.bin oddly I now see Kindle version 3.3 in my settings page???

I should see Kindle version 3.1 in the Settings Page on the kindle.

(3.3 (999999blah) I see this)

I will attempt to run the GM kernel extraction tool.
Currently trying to figure out if that can be done without a JB.

If I get it done I'll share this on mediafire so that others can simply flash this. Assuming it is actually CORRECT. some brave soul will have to test I guess. Alternately someone with a pristine 3.3 could upload an exported kernel image, this would also fix everyone's problems.

Next steps for me:

Get GM's tool working or figure out the range of addresses to export via k3 flasher. like

sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin dump kernel <length> ./kernel-3.3-factory.img

I don't know length right now sadly, working on it.

Then upgrade to 3.4 - use the extract tool to get 3.4 kernel (Niluje mentioned wanting this perhaps) to prevent this happening next time. Then - time allowing - extract a forensic file-system image as well.

I have ZERO idea how seemingly I managed to upgrade two versions in one step. :¬\ but there you go.

To Be continued...

Hope this helps get us all back on the right path.

Then I'll think about doing a buildroot. Cheers.

(This was post 1000 for me yay )

Last edited by twobob; 02-15-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added freescale hint, added Nilujes updates and notes
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So. Get JB. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1339816801

Install it by copying to /mnt/us and MENU -> SETTING -> MENU -> UPDATE YOUR KINDLE -> OK

(U004 This update was not successful) Hmm.. I know it's supposed to fail but...
Is that right fail code? no. it should be a U006...

Last edited by twobob; 09-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
twobob

Hmm well. Guess I'll have to do all this one more time to be certain anyways so to this end I'll try upgrading it to 3.4 then flatten it again with the 3.0.2 and run through the sequence again.

So. Install the 3.4 update:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&tag=pamisl-20

extracted bin to /mnt/us and MENU -> SETTING -> MENU -> UPDATE YOUR KINDLE -> OK

TBC...

EDIT:

Update Successful. Machine reboots.
"Please wait a moment while we make your kindle have more stuff on it"
Reboots again... Kid under tree...

New Message: "Your Kindle Is Updated"

Quote:
Dear you,
Your Kindle is updated!

We've updated your kindle...
Very nice of them.

(3.4 (999999blah) I see this)

So actually as a route to installing 3.4 from being stuck with a now dated custom kernel this route is a complete and successful one.

Next up. Test the Jb.

Last edited by twobob; 09-12-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: stuff happens
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: On the other hand, the 3.3 update (like the 3.4) was a 'full kernel' update, not a patch, so, the full kernel is there for the taking right in the official update package.

I caught your karma message way too late, but the stuff blocking your update were most likely the custom kernel *modules*, not the kernel itself. In 'full kernel' official updates, the checksums are checked *post* flash, they apparently don't care which kernel you came from (unless I missed something, which is entrely possible ).

(As for the failed jailbreak: wrong install file. Use the -3.2.1 one for FW 3.2.1/3.3/3.4).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
twobob

So. The JB on 3.4.

Install it to /mnt/us from Nilujes page.

Installs now without an error seemingly (as-in not even a U006).

Reboots. Sweet.

Then let's try: USBNetworking to give us SSH.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...3&d=1340037109

Successful also. Happy days

Time to drag out a 3.4 image -kernel at least- perhaps...
Next up GM's toolset's

MAny thanks to Yifan Lu, Hawhill, Niluje, KNC1 for their work on the tools we used so far.
(And the countless others who worked originally on the code or in support of testing the code)

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: On the other hand, the 3.3 update (like the 3.4) was a 'full kernel' update, not a patch, so, the full kernel is there for the taking right in the official update package.

I caught your karma message way too late, but the stuff blocking your update were most likely the custom kernel *modules*, not the kernel itself. In 'full kernel' official updates, the checksums are checked *post* flash, they apparently don't care which kernel you came from (unless I missed something, which is entrely possible ).

(As for the failed jailbreak: wrong install file. Use the -3.2.1 one for FW 3.2.1/3.3/3.4).
Yeah sussed the JB was the oopsy one!

I had a copy of the original modules, so I could have just rolled them back but hopefully this generalised guide (showing how to bring together toolsets we have on offer) will serve it's purpose:

Guiding people through the obvious mistakes; as well as the right way to do things

As you say the kernel is there for the taking anyways so I shan't bother rolling back then to extract one.

So guide complete. 3.0.2 -> 3.4 on a budget
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_068.png
Views:	705
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	92259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_069.png
Views:	644
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	92260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_070.png
Views:	670
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	92261  

Last edited by twobob; 09-13-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: tidy tidy
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
twobob

Other useful tools:

Launchpad: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97636

MyTs (version 8) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=70
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A not too useful news flash on this topic:
http://minimodding.com/article8-Fake-K3-News-Item

The message below the header means you have to be logged in to read the body of the News Release.

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2012 at 08:13 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
twobob

Lol. I didnt wan't to pollute minimodding with my "Err... this is the way sorta" noise until I was sure that right method to "push"

I think it is clear now there are 3 or 4 steps/solutions/measures one can take to try to get the 3.4 update to go through.

Extract the 3.3 kernel from the official update using Nilujes KindleTool

Rollback the modules to a 3.3 clean copy of the files
(you would need a backup copy, this won't apply to most people)

Remove any random jailbreaks that are ligging around if those steps fail

Roll back to a 3.0.2 and do the complete upgrade steps.
It is worth noting that this way does not flatten your documents

So, now I have my facts straight, In the AM I will transfuse my upgraded knowledge to the Nerd Cave

Wow that took a long time.

Last edited by twobob; 09-12-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: (you would need a backup copy, this won't apply to most people)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@twobob: There's a full copy of the *kernel* in update files, not the modules. You'd still need a proper backup/dump of the sytem part for those, since bsdiffs are one-way only .

On the other hand, not a lot of people had custom default *modules* installed, I think .
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
twobob

I have a backup containing the default 3.3 modules. and no I don't think so either.
But worth mentioning ey
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that twobob did a complete "Kindle 3 Re-Mix" over the past few weeks.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Lol. I didnt wan't to pollute minimodding with my "Err... this is the way sorta" noise until I was sure that right method to "push"
- - - -
So, now I have my facts straight, In the AM I will transfuse my upgraded knowledge to the Nerd Cave

Wow that took a long time.
I think I have the "Articles" section featured to-death.

Will tackle the "Blogs" section tomorrow.

Mike
Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
twobob

Next up... 3.4 BR.

A looksee at the defconfig and busybox config to see if they diff anything interesting. (hopefully not)

Get a device that can support the entire tree so I can rollout some of the cooler stuff too. I found a few cheaper old devices that I might grab for testing on. I really don't NEED another average reader, even the "PaperWait" will be a few weeks (If I got an imported one)

ho hum

Well. We have definitely "covered the bases" for the Kindle keyboard in terms of getting a solid platform to jump from.

I think we can *probably* say that will be the last update for the KB in a very long time, possibly ever, so now is a great time to split out the BR go for a 3.4 branch.

well anyway, that took about 8 hours longer than it might have done.
Documentation. A highly thankless task that I benefit from everyday so it's good to do ones part.

3.4 Yay! What does it give me? err almost nothing, nice fonts YAY! that'll do

Last edited by twobob; 09-12-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: PaperWait
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@twobob: Numbers! Shiny numbers! Higher is always better, isn't it?

Tags
howto, k3flasher, kernel, kindle3, recovery