Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
yet
Banned
yet began at the beginning.

Device: EPUB
Calibre installation on Ubuntu 8.0.4

Is there a reasonable way to install the latest Calibre version with Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS? I am getting issues with libqt3.

In general: is it possible to install the command-lines utilities only - In my case I don't have need for the UI?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There are instructions for installing on the download page.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
yet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
There are instructions for installing on the download page.
I am able to read, dude.

Does it answer my clear question about Ubuntu 8.0.4? No.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I think you mean Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
I installed calibre 0.7.4x on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS using the binary install method, but couldn't make it work, probably for not meeting all the necessary dependencies. Some days after that, I upgraded (online) Ubuntu to 10.04 LTS and calibre started working, even though I hadn't re-installed it.
While I had Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, earlier versions of calibre didn't recognise my Sony PRS-505 (because of some "deprecated" thing in the kernel), but now it does.
Note: you can install calibre from the Synaptic packet manager, but the version they make available is quite old.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yet View Post
I am able to read, dude.
You gave no indication of the kind, dude. Basically, if someone waltzes in here and ask a question with little to no information given, it's always best to start at the basics. Which I did.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
I am getting issues with libqt3.
calibre does not use Qt3. All Qt libs are bundled with the binary installer.

Quote:
In general: is it possible to install the command-lines utilities only - In my case I don't have need for the UI?
No.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
yet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
calibre does not use Qt3. All Qt libs are bundled with the binary installer.

No.
root@lvps178-77-74-179:~# /opt/python-2.6/bin/python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]:
Will download and install calibre-0.7.53-x86_64.tar.bz2
Downloading calibre-0.7.53-x86_64.tar.bz2
100% [================================================== ================================================== =============]
Downloaded 47438638 bytes
Checking downloaded file integrity...
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 55, in main
File "site.py", line 41, in set_qt_plugin_path
ImportError: cannot import name QCoreApplication

Run "calibre" to start calibre
root@lvps178-77-74-179:~# cd /opt/calibre/
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# ls
bin calibre-debug calibre_postinstall ebook-meta lib lrs2lrf web2disk
calibre calibre-parallel calibredb ebook-viewer librarything markdown-calibre
calibre-complete calibre-server ebook-convert epub-fix lrf2lrs pdfmanipulate
calibre-customize calibre-smtp ebook-device fetch-ebook-metadata lrfviewer resources
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# bin/calibre
bin/calibre: error while loading shared libraries: libcalibre-launcher.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# bin/ebook-convert
bin/ebook-convert: error while loading shared libraries: libcalibre-launcher.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# find . -name libcalibre-launcher.so
./lib/libcalibre-launcher.so
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/calibre/lib
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why are you running the launchers in /opt/calibre/bin/? Run the ones in /opt/calibre
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
yet
Banned

Quote:
root@lvps178-77-74-179:~# /opt/python-2.6/bin/python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
100% [================================================== ================================================== =============]

Run "calibre" to start calibre
root@lvps178-77-74-179:~# cd /opt/calibre/
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# ls
bin calibre-debug calibre_postinstall ebook-meta lib lrs2lrf web2disk
calibre calibre-parallel calibredb ebook-viewer librarything markdown-calibre
calibre-complete calibre-server ebook-convert epub-fix lrf2lrs pdfmanipulate
calibre-customize calibre-smtp ebook-device fetch-ebook-metadata lrfviewer resources
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# bin/calibre
bin/calibre: error while loading shared libraries: libcalibre-launcher.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
bin/ebook-convert: error while loading shared libraries: libcalibre-launcher.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# find . -name libcalibre-launcher.so
./lib/libcalibre-launcher.so
root@lvps178-77-74-179:/opt/calibre# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/calibre/lib
Unable to read?

/opt/python-2.6/bin/python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"

tells you clearly that the error already occurs upon installation.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unable to read?
Now that really motivates me to help you. Take a flying leap into the nearest well.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
yet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Now that really motivates me to help you. Take a flying leap into the nearest well.
fool language removed

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 04-03-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thread closed, I dont have the time to deal with lackwits.
Closed Thread