Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
How to go to a page on Kindle??? Locations are annoying.

Hello there,
I found this question have been asked numerous times on different forums, but I didnt find any answer. Correct me if I am wrong but locations AKA page numbers on Kindle have absolutely no sense. How am I supposed to go to a particular page? I read half of a book on another ereader. Then I sold that ereader and got Kindle DX. I put the book back on DX hopping to continue reading from page 242 and just found "Locations 75-90" or smth like that. Is it a joke or dont I understand something???? Why dont they allow us just to use page numbers? Yeah, I can try to use search by a word or phrase but its annoying.
Thanks
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Because page numbers according to screen size and font size selection. Page 242 on a Sony PRS-600 is not going to be the same as page 242 on a Kindle DX.

Locations (which are a count of 128 bytes in the file) are independent of the size of the screen or the size of font that you've chosen. They can be used to give an absolute reference within a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindles do not use page numbers only locations which are more accurate than page numbers. Page numbers will change depending on the size font used but locations will remain the same.

For some folks locations are annoying but that's the way it is.

The best way to try to find where you left off in your book is to use the search function. If you can remember a phrase or something unique on the last page (or near the last page), use that as your search term and the Kindle will find it for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
For people new to ereading in particular, having locations instead of page numbers must feel very odd. However, locations provide (as HarryT said) an absolute reference to the part of the book you're reading.

I love locations because I can read a book on Kindle for iPhone and the same book on my Kindle and get to exactly the same place on each via the location. Yes I can also sync up wirelessly too but sometimes I find it quicker to input the location manually.

If you're reading a paper book or a book on a non-Kindle platform and you want to get to the exact same spot on your Kindle - open the book on your kindle and search for a phrase on the page of the book you're reading.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

I understand that page numbers are different on different ereaders. But I d rather prefer page numbers instead of annoying locations. It much easier to remember page number than some absolute reference. I tested several models and I think this is actually the most annoying thing an ereader can have. The second one is absence of folder support that Kindle also kinda lacks.

Last edited by pashlit; 09-11-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Also - while you are reading - if you encounter a "page" with something you know you will want to refer back to, or need to re-read, put a bookmark on that page. Bookmarks are also great to use if your book does not have an active Table of Contents to allow you to jump from chapter to chapter - bookmark the first page of each chapter.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You don't have to remember them though. You can just add an annotation and the ereader will remember your position in the book by itself also. Page numbers are only useful if you're referring to a paper based copy of the book as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
I understand that page numbers are different on different ereaders. But I d rather prefer page numbers instead of annoying locations. It much easier to remember page number than some absolute reference.
Perhaps it is, but what use is a page number if it doesn't get you to the point in the book where you want to go? You said that you had read half of a book on another reader, and then bought a Kindle DX. Even if the Kindle did support page numbers, the page numbers that you had remembered on the other reader would be useless to you, because they wouldn't correspond on the Kindle. I really don't see what you would have gained, at all.

Quote:
The second one is absence of folder support that Kindle also kinda lacks.
The Kindle supports collections, of course, which are very like folders.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
You don't have to remember them though. You can just add an annotation and the ereader will remember your position in the book by itself also. Page numbers are only useful if you're referring to a paper based copy of the book as well.
If I read 300 pages, didnt put any bookmark but want to go to around page 132 how can I do that??? Yes I can remember that the stuff I want was between 130-140 pages but noway I can remember it was around some locations.
Sorry guys, while locations might be useful in finding a page on iPhone or smth it makes no sense to me in real life. At least they could've had both locations and page numbers where we could choose which one to use.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The thing is even with paper books, the same book eg Pride and Prejudice will have differing page numbers unless you get the exact same edition.

This was annoying at school and university because you could only ever rely on going to a particular chapter with a paper book and not a page number.

At least with studying with a Kindle, you'd all be on the same page
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashlit View Post
If I read 300 pages, didnt put any bookmark but want to go to around page 132 how can I do that??? Yes I can remember that the stuff I want was between 130-140 pages but noway I can remember it was around some locations.
A page number is just a number as well. Same as a location. You just have to get used to page locations instead.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid that's just the way it is. If you can't live with it, perhaps you'd be better off returning your Kindle and getting a reader that has page numbers.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it is, but what use is a page number if it doesn't get you to the point in the book where you want to go? You said that you had read half of a book on another reader, and then bought a Kindle DX. Even if the Kindle did support page numbers, the page numbers that you had remembered on the other reader would be useless to you, because they wouldn't correspond on the Kindle. I really don't see what you would have gained, at all.

The Kindle supports collections, of course, which are very like folders.
Harry. collections are not folders. You cant create a folder on PC and just upload it to a device. I had like 150 docs on the device I had to group using collections. It was pretty uncomfortable and time consuming. May be you can argue its good to have tags instead of real folders but again I d prefer just having folders. I tried other device with folder support and it was very comfy and fast.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that's just the way it is. If you can't live with it, perhaps you'd be better off returning your Kindle and getting a reader that has page numbers.
Yep, might do that. I have 30 days I guess. Love the screen and other stuff but dont like colletions and locations.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh yes, I'm well aware of the difference between folders and tags and, like you, I'd prefer real folder support. However, collections are at least better than nothing at all. If you need folders then there are of course many reading devices that do support them.