Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Does your bookmarks bar disappear?

On iPad: My bookmarks bar is turned on, but it will disappear from time to time, without clear pattern, and reappear. (For instance, I will have a Safari page open and the bookmarks bar will appear as usual. Then I might open another Safari page and it appears without a bookmarks bar, as do new Safari pages after that. Then I might open yet another page, and the bookmarks bar will appear.) What the heck?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have not seen it..... but, gestures you make on the screen can change the layout. Perhaps something is happening there.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Hmm. Not sure what it could be. Like I'll be reading this forum, open a new page to read The New York Times or Engadget, and will encounter the problem. I'm generally just reading. Stumped.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
could be javascript on the site to hide your bar. some do that. also might depend on the type of window the site tries to open (a popup).

i long abandoned safari on my ipad. you might want to look into atomic browser or icab. both have far better features and are cheap replacements.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Haven't seen that happen, Maggie...I always have the bookmarks bar visible on the iPad as well. It kinda bugs me now that iPhone Safari doesn't have it (even though I know it won't fit )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
could be javascript on the site to hide your bar. some do that. also might depend on the type of window the site tries to open (a popup).

i long abandoned safari on my ipad. you might want to look into atomic browser or icab. both have far better features and are cheap replacements.
This is possible. I generally use the same news sites every day.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
This is possible. I generally use the same news sites every day.
My experience is that it appears when you tap in the address field or the search filed, but is otherwise hidden. So if I want to go to a site on my bookmarks bar, I have to tap twice - once ot make it appear and a second time to go to the site
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
My experience is that it appears when you tap in the address field or the search filed, but is otherwise hidden. So if I want to go to a site on my bookmarks bar, I have to tap twice - once ot make it appear and a second time to go to the site
Thanks, Nick. My bookmarks bar stays visible while I read and navigate (except for the odd disappearances). I will try tapping the address field to bring it back next time it disappears, though. I suspect there's something triggering the problem, maybe a script, as Scott mentioned. I have pop-ups blocked. Dunno whether that's also contributing.