Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #16
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
With glass doors? I have two of those.
Yes, me too. Although I don't have space for any more of them, which is partly why I've moved to ebooks
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Yes, me too. Although I don't have space for any more of them, which is partly why I've moved to ebooks
Ditto
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
The thing I don't like about the stores is the lack of natural light. I start to feel slightly disorientated if I'm there too long.
It doesn't help that in my local one the artificial light is not that good. It lends an air of shappy cheapness to everything.

And whilst there are shortcuts, it's still housed in a sodding great warehouse, so they aren't that short!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #19
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I'm a horrible customer.

When I know what I want I look up its location online then go in through the checkouts (aka the exit), straight to the warehouse shelves, collect what I want, back to the checkouts and home. I also know how to avoid the whole showroom when going in through the entrance
Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
With glass doors? I have two of those.
No doors on mine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Am I the only one that found the dungeon crawl bit to be the part that I can relate too? Yeah so what, I was a teenager!

On a different tangent. I have to set a time limit when I take my wife there. If I didn't the kids might starve to death or pass out from walking every isle 25 times to see if maybe that thing she wants is over there but she missed it the first 24 times down the isle.

On yet another tangent. The last two times I have gone to Ikea, I left injured. Let me explain. My sister in law was with us both times and when the two of us are together we bring out each others inner child. She, like me, doesn't like spending hours shopping. So we end up daring each other to do dumb stuff.

Like the 2nd to last time I was there. We were going through the kids area and there was this 12' x 12' bin of stuffed animals and my sis'n'law says "dare you to jump in!" Well naturally being that I was acting the part of a 13 year old, I jumped in. Whole hog! Took a couple running steps and launched my self in. Turns out that the 12' x 12' bin was actually a bunch of 4' bins pushed together. Various body parts colliding with various metal structures ensued. OUCH!!!

As for the last time I will only say it involved boredom due to massive storm outside and us waiting it out and a wheel chair and a security guard.

The good news is my wife no longer allows me in the store so I get to hang out next door at the sporting/hunting store.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #22
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
To set the record straight with all of you Ikea-lovers (the thread's title is Ikea-haters, after all ), I don't know much about their furniture. I have a more traditional style of decorating. My daughter Shannon, on the other hand, is 22 and into more modern/asian styles of furniture. She and her friends like to walk around the Ikea store in Woodbridge and dream of their future apartments, much as I probably did at Ethan Allen type of furniture stores when I was her age.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
I also know how to avoid the whole showroom when going in through the entrance
Ours has jobsworth security guards that stop us doing that, even though the signs say you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
Am I the only one that found the dungeon crawl bit to be the part that I can relate too? Yeah so what, I was a teenager!
I related to both parts

(you have to be a teenager to play roleplaying games? )
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #24
ruth1304
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Ours has jobsworth security guards that stop us doing that, even though the signs say you can!
I think ours does some of the time, but I usually get there about half an hour before it closes when the staff are trying to clear up and are hurrying everyone through.

The system failed once when I needed a part for a drawer which was only available in the showroom. Going the wrong way through the system is one of the most annoying things I've ever tried!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Actually ours has an official shortcut to the warehouse thingie... But I read they used a new concept when they opened it in 2005. (The first was opened in 1997, the second in 2005 and it's again too small...)

Fun part, where once there was 1 IKEA, there is now, a Saturn, a huge bicycle shop (with an indoor track for trying out bikes), a no-idea-what-to-call-it-kind-of-furniture shop (budget stuff, also has lamps, carpets, curtains, etc) and a KFC...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #26
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I like IKEA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhymes_with_Orange-IKEA.gif
Views:	150
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	31222  
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle

<--------
has never been to IKEA
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #28
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Kaz: I still do exactly like Shannon and plan decors with Ikea furniture over and over again! When they publish the catalog each year, around the end of July (it's coming!!) I go through it at least once everyday for a month, mark my favorite pages, evaluate the new design fabrics for Ektorp couches ( I want one badly, but I'm in no position to invest in anything worth more than 20 bucks ), make a wish list once I figured out in my head the new decor I want, then only I feel comfortable enough to put it away in a corner of my (not yet Billy) bookcase. It's manic. I think that if you get the Ikea bug, you are bound to have it badly, so there is no hope for Shannon if she's bitten!

Mike: I want to go shopping with you!

Krisk: !!! What???? Go, go now! At least you'll know if you like or you hate it! You needed furniture, didn't you? You are bound to find affordable and good looking pieces there. And they have plenty of baskets...I know you love baskets!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #29
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I think the closest one is about an hour away
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #30
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I think the closest one is about an hour away
I don't like IKEA. I love the food they sell though The Swedish cookies, the Starksweinglögg in winter etc. But IKEA itself is a terrible experience: too many people, you have to go through the whole store even if the item you want to buy can only be found next to the exit. Plus: You end up buying thousands of things you definitely do not need. Then you have to use this little thing below to spend the next 10 weeks putting up all those shelves and furniture you actually never wanted to buy...... No, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ikea.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	31233  
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote