Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Hello from Sunny QLD Australia

Hiyas all. I have been lurking here reading up on a few things for a couple weeks now and I thought Id better say hello.

About me : My name is Tony and I read way too much. I read while getting ready for work, on the way to work, at work (heheh), and read when I get home. In between al that reading I have a missus who reads as much as me or more, thats why I love her so much and for my wonderful 5 children, three who are grown up but wont leave home.

I have over 3000 paperback books in my library and 1000 hardcover books. I have spent the last year obtaining electronic versions mainly from Mobipocket and other means. As my eyes get worse I need bigger and bigger fonts to be able to read. I use PDAs to read with and my wife has just switched to electronic reading as well.

Why am I here and what do I want :

I have purchased just over 300 electronic books (Mobipocket, Baen mainly) and have around 400 others (classics and not so classic) in HTML, word, LIt and Text formats and want to convert them all to mobipocket, which is not a problem with Mobipocket creator. But I am wanting to make sure that I have the correct metadata inserted in all books when I convert them to mobipocket format including a cover.
Im hoping someone makes a program that I can do all this in one run. I have purchased all the Amber Converters and their free ones as well, so conversion is not a problem. I just like my library to look good.

Well thats me, thanks for reading about me and you all have a wonderful day and Ill see ya online.

Cheers
Tony

gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
Why am I here and what do I want :

I have purchased just over 300 electronic books (Mobipocket, Baen mainly) and have around 400 others (classics and not so classic) in HTML, word, LIt and Text formats and want to convert them all to mobipocket, which is not a problem with Mobipocket creator. But I am wanting to make sure that I have the correct metadata inserted in all books when I convert them to mobipocket format including a cover.
Im hoping someone makes a program that I can do all this in one run.
I'm not sure what you're asking for. Mobipocket Creator can be used to insert the proper metadata, and define a cover image to be used. The results are stored in an OPF file that defines the book.

Mobi can also import from HTML, Word documents, PDFs, and plain text files. The output of the conversion is HTML, and you can edit the HTML before building the Mobi book files to tweak things.

Conversion from other formats requires seperate tools, like Convert LIT.

I'm not aware of any tool that does all of it within one program.

If you want to do batch conversions, Mobi offers a command line version called Mobigen which takes an OPF, HTM, HTML or epub file as input, and it wouldn't be too hard to produce a batch file to handle more than one book in a run.

Quote:
Cheers
Tony
______
[B]Dennis[/quote]
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #3
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Heh, Yeah Im lazy and didnt want to type it all in. The metadata that is. I saw with calibre that it will go and get the Metadata, and even a cover. Awesome. But it only converts to lrf. I was hopin for something like that that does it for Mobipocket.

Cheers
Tony
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, grandor62. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll concede "Sunny Queensland" but it's still bloody cold at the moment. I moved here last year expecting it to be beautiful every day and perfect the next. I pay my rates! I want my summer back! I want my sunbaking, bodybashing beachdays back! (Tony's currently saying "Bloody whinging southern refugees..." ).

G'day, Tony. Enjoy the forum.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'Day gandor62 and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote