Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
SD Card

I was reading the Hanlin V5 User Manual about copying books to the SD chip. It's a little confusing:

>How to confirm to copy the data to the SD card
>Under the Windows system, the data don’t immediately copy to the SD
>card, the data will be firstly copied to the cache, therefore it needs to
>confirm.

Somewhere I saw instructions to connect to the PC and the SD card will appear in Windows Explorer as a volume. Is it possible to just put the SD card into my PC and copy my books directly to it? If I do it that way, will the EZPro be able to read my books? I didn't know if the manual is referring to the PC cache or a cache on the EZPro.

This may have been answered in the big thread but I couldn't find it.

BTW, the FAQ on the web site [http://www.theezreader.com/index.asp] says the device doesn't support SD 2 cards.

>Q.Is the SD slot SDHC compatible?

>No, not yet. The EZ Reader has 512 MB of internal memory and supports SD
>cards for expanded memory.

Elsewhere it says the EZPro supports 16GB SD chips, which would seem to mean it does support SDHC. Can I assume it supports SDHC cards? I've not heard of SD 1 supporting cards bigger than 4GB so it seems a fair guess.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Yes if you have a card reader/writer on your PC you can transfer ebooks that way. They will be recognized if they are in the correct folder. I use OpenInkPot firmware with my EZ Reader so I don't know the name of the correct folder for the Astak firmware. And if you're using a SDHC you will need a reader/writer compatible with the card.

Also you're correct in regards to the Pocket Pro and SDHC cards.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Cut thru the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I was reading the Hanlin V5 User Manual about copying books to the SD chip. It's a little confusing:

>How to confirm to copy the data to the SD card
>Under the Windows system, the data don’t immediately copy to the SD
>card, the data will be firstly copied to the cache, therefore it needs to
>confirm.

Somewhere I saw instructions to connect to the PC and the SD card will appear in Windows Explorer as a volume. Is it possible to just put the SD card into my PC and copy my books directly to it? If I do it that way, will the EZPro be able to read my books? I didn't know if the manual is referring to the PC cache or a cache on the EZPro.

This may have been answered in the big thread but I couldn't find it.

BTW, the FAQ on the web site [http://www.theezreader.com/index.asp] says the device doesn't support SD 2 cards.

>Q.Is the SD slot SDHC compatible?

>No, not yet. The EZ Reader has 512 MB of internal memory and supports SD
>cards for expanded memory.

Elsewhere it says the EZPro supports 16GB SD chips, which would seem to mean it does support SDHC. Can I assume it supports SDHC cards? I've not heard of SD 1 supporting cards bigger than 4GB so it seems a fair guess.
Dear 6charlong:

The FAQ sheet was redone a week ago and they are trying to get it posted to the website.

Both the 5 inch and 6 inch support SDHC!

The 6 inch supports 4GB... but others have tried 8GB and had no problem.
The 5 inch supports 16GB.

I am sorry it is taking so long to get this posted!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Thanks to both of you. I was just being dumb about the SD card: when I went to order one for the EZPro all I could find for sale was SDHC cards. For a moment I had flashbacks on trying to find SmartMedia cards for the EB1150 before I realized it had to mean SDHC.

Slayda, I’ll plug in my blank SDHC card and see what folders it creates. That should do it.

Thanks again. Can’t wait for next week.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Yes if you have a card reader/writer on your PC you can transfer ebooks that way. They will be recognized if they are in the correct folder. I use OpenInkPot firmware with my EZ Reader so I don't know the name of the correct folder for the Astak firmware. And if you're using a SDHC you will need a reader/writer compatible with the card.

Also you're correct in regards to the Pocket Pro and SDHC cards.
For ebooks it doesn't matter where they are on the card; the bookshelf is the SD card file system.
If you drop them in the card root, they'll show up in the bookshelf root; put them in a folder 6 levels deep, that's where they'll pop up. Its your choice; nothing is hardwired for books.
No magic involved.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
For ebooks it doesn't matter where they are on the card; the bookshelf is the SD card file system.
If you drop them in the card root, they'll show up in the bookshelf root; put them in a folder 6 levels deep, that's where they'll pop up. Its your choice; nothing is hardwired for books.
No magic involved.
OK, I was thinking of the way OI did ebooks. Been a while since I used the "official" firmware.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Moo Strength
Moo Strength began at the beginning.

Device: Astek EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thanks to both of you. I was just being dumb about the SD card: when I went to order one for the EZPro all I could find for sale was SDHC cards. For a moment I had flashbacks on trying to find SmartMedia cards for the EB1150 before I realized it had to mean SDHC.

Slayda, I’ll plug in my blank SDHC card and see what folders it creates. That should do it.

Thanks again. Can’t wait for next week.
Just an FYI. Newegg still has the older SD cards, even though it appears that the older Hanlin/Astak SD slot will read an 8B SDHC card.

Remember, 4GB is available in both SD and SDHC. I believe that all of newegg's "kits" are SDHC, even if they don't say so in the listing.

Here are the 3 SD (Non SDHC) cards that newegg sells:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...13500&name=4GB

Here's an example of a "kit" that doesn't advertise as SDHC, but is in fact a High Capacity Secure Digital card inside:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830994344

I used to take the time to search through pricewatch.com for the cheapest PC components when building a computer, but honestly most of the time newegg is so close that I'd rather just buy everything from one vendor, unless I want some sick custom Video card or a component that Newegg doesn't sell, (like before they started selling PC Power and Cooling Power Supply's 3 years ago).
Moo Strength is offline   Reply With Quote