Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #3001
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I didn't think Baldur's Gate was all that great, myself, but then I never got very far. Maybe that's why I haven't ended up with a huge collection of Forgotten Realms novels.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #3002
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
What's the most books anyone has bought in a year?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #3003
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
What's the most books anyone has bought in a year?
I refer the Honorouable Member to the answer I gave some moments ago.*

395, in 2008 (when Mobipocket DRM-removal tools first became readily available).

*OK, nearly a year ago! BTW, my 2013 total was 283. Whoops.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #3004
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 75% off coupons from Kobo have got me again. Three more books by Brandon Sanderson, a favourite author.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #3005
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Me too. Three more books from my wishlist. And I've just realised I forgot a couple of eligible items, so I'm hoping for more.

I have been having a great month of reading, though, and I had actually earned four more purchases based on my TBR target. I had already bought a kindle book before I saw the kobo thread, so I'm back at my limit again.
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #3006
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
The 75% off coupons from Kobo have got me again.
You are just lucky (I'm reading Ringworld). The best I have gotten with 3 different email accounts is 35%, so no books for me.

Edited to add: Now that Whispersync has launched in the UK, many more of you will understand the addicting draw of audiobooks... especially extremely low cost audiobooks which compels you to buy an ebook just to get that audiobook. If you are not part of the amazon garden, you can still resist without effort.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #3007
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
You are just lucky (I'm reading Ringworld). The best I have gotten with 3 different email accounts is 35%, so no books for me.
Umm... In this competition it turns out the the competition codes are valid for one use per account in US, UK and Canada.

In the discount codes thread there are currently four 75% off codes and five 65% off codes.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #3008
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well I did really good this month! Didn't buy a darn thing. Passed up sale after sale! I just bought the 2 books I really wanted that just came out today.(Tuesday) I was even able to use a 65% off coupon for one of them that I got in the latest Kobo contest. Now I have a few dollars left on my gift card for those sales. YAY me.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #3009
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Well I did really good this month! Didn't buy a darn thing. Passed up sale after sale! I just bought the 2 books I really wanted that just came out today.(Tuesday) I was even able to use a 65% off coupon for one of them that I got in the latest Kobo contest. Now I have a few dollars left on my gift card for those sales. YAY me.
Good for you!

I just wish I'd passed up the Baen Bundle and waited in confidence for the Kobo competition. But I just wasn't confident it would turn up. Sigh.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #3010
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Good for you!

I just wish I'd passed up the Baen Bundle and waited in confidence for the Kobo competition. But I just wasn't confident it would turn up. Sigh.
When the odds were announced and then when the contest was pulled for a bit, it looked as if you'd made the right decision. It's only the glitch that has the coupons usable for each account (and people's posting the codes) that makes this contest work for most of us.

I figure you have to look at these things in their totality, i.e., how much you've saved with bundles and discounts overall; the occasional wrong call is far offset by other savings. So no cause to beat yourself up, really.

My own bad decision was to use perkopolis in India on a wishlist book once I saw the odds on the contest. I figured perkopolis wouldn't last much longer (and I was right about that, as it turns out) and that the likelihood of my being able to use a 65% or 75% coupon at the US store for a greater savings was slim (wrong, in the eventuality).

Last edited by issybird; 08-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #3011
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Good for you!

Buying Baen ebooks is a good thing though. DRM free and all. I can pass up the bundles most of the time if they're just sequels to series I haven't read yet, which they are in the coming months. Well, that gives me time to catch up. I might go on a Baen book reading binge sometime. In fact I am reading Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo right now!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #3012
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I have to confess that the availability of 75% off coupons has lead to some purchases. Only favourite authors, though.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #3013
DrNefario
Wizard

I've spent just over £10 on 7 books using the 75% codes. While this does mean I've "saved" £30, it's still spending £10 and buying 7 books I probably otherwise wouldn't have bought any time soon. All of them were, at least, from my wishlist, although some of them were very recent additions, and one of them had been there so long it might not have mattered if I'd never got to it.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #3014
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Good for you!

Yes, I'm in the same boat. But I'll be a bit more resistant this coming month.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #3015
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've spent just over £10 on 7 books using the 75% codes. While this does mean I've "saved" £30, it's still spending £10 and buying 7 books I probably otherwise wouldn't have bought any time soon. All of them were, at least, from my wishlist, although some of them were very recent additions, and one of them had been there so long it might not have mattered if I'd never got to it.
No matter how long one's TBR pile, it's hard to say no to wishlist books at less than £1.43 each.

I suppose 75% off coupons will end some day, but I thought we'd seen the end of them with the demise of Fictionwise. I wonder how long Kobo will keep on handing them out. A long time, I hope!