Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Ptop
Ptop began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Mobi to Epub problems

I finally got my book uploaded in the Kindle format and it looks great. Our local library wants it, but they can only do it in epub format. So, I tried converting my mobi generated file to the epub format using Calibre. I uploaded to Pubit and looked at it on the Nook and many photos are repeated, the formatting is odd and some of the text runs over the photos.
I tried downloaded the html from Pubit and it sure wasn't html, just a bunch of gobblety-gook. So, I took the file and opened it in Sigil to see how it looked and everything was fine and formatted correctly.
Also, the links don't work. I noticed that there is a single apostrophe around the links. (They work fine on Kindle.)So, what the heck is going on?
Is there something that I am missing?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
Ptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Strange that no one has offered any suggestions yet Ptop. Have you solved your problem yet? It's best to create the ePub from your source document. I've seen a lot of requests like your over the months.
From what I can gather the best way to do this is start with the source document and create the ePub then use Calibre to create the mobi.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptop View Post
I finally got my book uploaded in the Kindle format and it looks great. Our local library wants it, but they can only do it in epub format. So, I tried converting my mobi generated file to the epub format using Calibre. I uploaded to Pubit and looked at it on the Nook and many photos are repeated, the formatting is odd and some of the text runs over the photos.
I tried downloaded the html from Pubit and it sure wasn't html, just a bunch of gobblety-gook. So, I took the file and opened it in Sigil to see how it looked and everything was fine and formatted correctly.
Also, the links don't work. I noticed that there is a single apostrophe around the links. (They work fine on Kindle.)So, what the heck is going on?
Is there something that I am missing?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated
What is your original source? it is likely better to use it for the ePub. However if you want to fix the ePub you have you will need to change the ' to " as you have already figured out. Often a document resaved by Sigil will be better than the one you gave it automagically.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Ptop
Ptop began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the suggestions. I did download Sigil. One error that I did find was that I had added the photos into the html file and then again into the Creator, which is why they all repeated at the end. At least now, I now how to add photos at the end of a document.

As far as the phtoos not showing - I found that I had to add SPAN tags around them. Doing that got them to show up.
Ptop is offline   Reply With Quote