Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Hobbes24
Hobbes24 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Clie SJ22
Question Best Smartphone For Ebook Reading?

I've been using an old Palm Clie for about 4-5 years now and I'm ready to upgrade. I'm one of those all-in-one people who don't like carrying around both a cell phone and a PDA. I'd prefer my device to be a combination cell phone and PDA and that leads me to the smartphone.

I should be able to read on the phone for at least 2 hours. I'm not too worried about eye strain, although the easier it is to read the screen the better, of course. Phone comfort isn't a high priority - if I have to, I'll use a bluetooth headset.

Currently I'm leaning towards the XV6700 by Verizon, but I am more than willing to go to any carrier that has the best phone for what I need. Does anyone have a suggestion? I would appreciate any and all input. Thank you!
Hobbes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #2
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The t-mobile Dash is a good pda-phone. Very small, has bluetooth, keyboard works well and the screen is a nice 320x240 resolution. T-Mobile's data plans are pretty cheap also.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Id also look at the Sprint Mogul. It is the update to the 6700 for Sprint. Also Sprint has the best data/phone plans. Do a search for SERO.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Hobbes24

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've looked into the T-Mobile Wing, but not the dash. It looks like another crowded phone, like a Palm Treo. Are phones that size really optimal for ebook reading?

The Spring Mogul sounds interesting and it looks like a PDA as well. I've never held it, so I don't know too much about it but it has pretty decent reviews. Does it display text crisply? It seems to be a very recent release, which is probalby why I've never heard about it until now.

The thing I like best about my clie is that it has wide display angle, so I'm a little wary about going to a thinner screen.

I appreciate all the advice.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes24 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.

I've looked into the T-Mobile Wing, but not the dash. It looks like another crowded phone, like a Palm Treo. Are phones that size really optimal for ebook reading?
I think it works well. I also have a Sony eReader-- primarily because of the great battery life. I'd be very happy with an eink device with a smaller screen.

I went through several clies (including your model) before finally ending up with a Palm t3. I found that I liked reading on it with the slider closed for some reason, so moving over to a square phone screen didn't bother me much.

Also, having a small phone is important to me. I had the previous version of the T-mobile Wing (same basic features and size) and it was just too big to use comfortably. Very thick. You can't really keep it comfortably in your pocket.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Id also look at the Sprint Mogul. It is the update to the 6700 for Sprint. Also Sprint has the best data/phone plans. Do a search for SERO.

I (personally) didn't care for the Mogul. I'm actually trying to sell mine off right now since I got a free Blackberry 8830. I agree though that Sprint data packages tend to be better. Of course the unlimited data plan for the Blackberry is $15 more than the unlimited data plan I was on with the Mogul. Odd since Blackberry supposedly handles data much more efficiently than Windows Mobile.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
Several considerations:

Are you limited in carrier choice? Does any particular carrier have better reception for your geographics? This will limit selection of handsets.

Any concern about other third-party applications you have been using on the Clie? Switching OS means you will have to re-purchase.

Do you intend to maintain your current library of ebooks and are they transferrable to a different OS?
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
Hobbes24

Interesting that you didn't care for the Mogul. I went to a sprint store and found that it was comfortable in my hand. Combine that with the fact that the sprint.com SERO offer means 500 minutes + all the data you could want for $30 per month means I'm seriously leaning towards it.

Right now I am not too concerned about porting my ebooks. I have multiple versions of my favorite books on both .pdb and .lit, so I am set there. I live 6 months in an area that gets really horrible cell phone service and 6 months in a major metropolitan area, so cell coverage is pretty constant - it either sucks all the time or 5 bars. I never really bought that many apps for my Palm, so going to a PocketPC doesn't bug me too much.

I haven't made the jump yet, but I'm feeling the itch. Thank you for the line on the sprint SERO offer. I'm going to seriously investigate it before I jump. I just got to look at my first Mogul yesterday and the screen looks pretty clear. Not really Iphone quality, but it does cost $200 less and it seemed pretty responsive.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the openmoko.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Anaksulnamun
Anaksulnamun began at the beginning.

Device: E90
Nokia e90 with a deluxe solution 800x384
It took me only 4 hours to read the ebook "201 questions to ask on your interview" ~250 pages on pdf format.
And mobipocket .prc format ebooks is fitted too ...
The question is ...price
Anaksulnamun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #11
johnsims
johnsims began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Interesting that you didn't care for the Mogul. I went to a sprint store and found that it was comfortable in my hand. Combine that with the fact that the sprint.com SERO offer means 500 minutes + all the data you could want for $30 per month means I'm seriously leaning towards it.

Right now I am not too concerned about porting my ebooks. I have multiple versions of my favorite books on both .pdb and .lit, so I am set there. I live 6 months in an area that gets really horrible mobile communication phone service and 6 months in a major metropolitan area, so cell coverage is pretty constant - it either sucks all the time or 5 bars. I never really bought that many apps for my Palm, so going to a PocketPC doesn't bug me too much.

I haven't made the jump yet, but I'm feeling the itch. Thank you for the line on the sprint mobile communications SERO offer. I'm going to seriously investigate it before I jump. I just got to look at my first Mogul yesterday and the screen looks pretty clear. Not really Iphone quality, but it does cost $200 less and it seemed pretty responsive.
I can't beleive either that they didnt like the mogul. I had no issues with it.
I'm also concerned about the ebooks tho...
johnsims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You did realize you are answering a 4 year old message. There was a warning when you posted.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
jordanwells
jordanwells began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Interesting that you didn't care for the Mogul. I went to a sprint store and found that it was comfortable mobility in my hand. Combine that with the fact that the sprint.com SERO offer means 500 minutes + all the data you could want for $30 per month means I'm seriously leaning towards it.

Right now I am not too concerned about porting my ebooks for mobile network security. I have multiple versions of my favorite books on both .pdb and .lit, so I am set there. I live 6 months in an area that gets really horrible cell phone service and 6 months in a major metropolitan area, so cell coverage is pretty constant - it either sucks all the time or 5 bars. I never really bought that many apps for my Palm, so going to a PocketPC doesn't bug me too much.

I haven't made the jump yet, but I'm feeling the itch. Thank you for the line on the sprint SERO offer. I'm going to seriously investigate it before I jump. I just got to look at my first Mogul yesterday and the screen looks pretty clear. Not really Iphone quality, but it does cost $200 less and it seemed pretty responsive.

Definitely make the jump!!! the screen is clear and the quality is great
jordanwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Hobbes24

Since there's been some interest in this thread recently, I thought I'd post to let you know that I've been using the Mogul for a while and I enjoy it, but it has some serious stability issues. I think it's about time to switch, so I'll probably go to the iPhone or Droid X. The huge screen of the Droid is a big draw, but I got to imagine the large footprint will be uncomfortable in my pocket.