Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #19411
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I read that 20th Century Fox has optioned the film rights.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #19412
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It was rightly part of the 5 star thread. An excellent fantasy, which I greatly enjoyed. That does mean that Max Gladstone's other book is now on my wishlist, but at around £10 (£12.59 at Kobo) it will have to wait for a price drop or a very good coupon.

Never heard of the book or the author before. Just read the book description on Amazon and it seems really good. If I buy and read (and enjoyed) the first one, same as you, I won't get the second book unless the price goes down. It's $11 on Amazon. Whoa.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #19413
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished The Analyst. This was a really good read I had trouble putting down. It kept me up too late many nights. I rated it 4 of 5 stars on Library Thing.

I also joined in on reading The Martian as well. I hope it lives up to the thread hype.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #19414
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I finished The Analyst. This was a really good read I had trouble putting down. It kept me up too late many nights. I rated it 4 of 5 stars on Library Thing.

I also joined in on reading The Martian as well. I hope it lives up to the thread hype.
I put a hold on The Martian at my local library so I will read it sometime soon. The waiting list isn't that long. No, I'm not buying. New author+$12.99 price= library.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #19415
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Finished The Martian, and gave it 5 stars for sheer ingenuity (and required knowledge the author had to have to come up with the scenarios). Really enjoyed it.

Now started The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons by Lawrence Block. Looking forward to reacquainting myself with Bernie Rhodenbarr once more.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #19416
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
With all this talk about The Martian, I think I'll need to move it somewhere towards the top of my TBR list. I bought it earlier this month but haven't got around to it yet - very much looking forward to that, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I'm currently reading The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani - not entirely sure yet how I feel about it (as far as the plot goes), but it's a fairly well written and at times very amusing middle grade book.
And done - with somewhat mixed feelings. Overall, I ended up enjoying it a great deal; a fun ride with plenty of imagination and humour as well as depth. There were a few things I did not quite care for, though, and they were significant enough to bring my rating down to three stars out of five.

Still, most of it was great fun and I'm very certain I'll want to read the next book in the series as well.

And now I've moved on to The Forbidden Library by Django Wexler, another middle grade adventure. I'm about a quarter into it and struggling a bit; I'm not sure if it's the pacing - and I don't necessarily find a slow pace a problem, most of the time - but it feels like introductory parts are going on and on and on. It's got potential though, so I hope that once the actual plot kicks off properly, it'll be more enjoyable.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #19417
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Steerswoman Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished The Outskirter's Secret. Wow. Just Wow! I'd forgotten how powerful this series gets. There's a sequence towards the end of this book that is just incredible.

Well, no question, straight on to the next one! The Lost Steersman.
Another 5 stars. And in a completely different vein. It's quite remarkable how these stories all tie together and yet are in many ways quite different in feel. I'm so glad they are finally available as eBooks. I have them in paper, but it's not likely I'd ever have read them again in paper. I can hardly stand the wait for the next one (the final of the 4 book series so far, though there are books 5&6 planned, at a minimum.)

Next up? No idea. I know I have Peacemaker coming on Tuesday, so I don't really want to start anything major. Maybe an Alice Munro story or two will do?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #19418
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished " 1636:The Devil's Opera". I've enjoyed the music and Magdeburg police stories in the Gazette, so it was nice to see the themes connected in a full-length novel. It's been so long since the last 1632 novel that I'm feeling the need for a series re-read
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #19419
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Like a Mighty Army", the latest instalment of David Weber's "Safehold" series. I really enjoyed this - some of the earlier books in the series have been rather slow going, but this one is non-stop action from start to finish.

Definitely not a book you can read on its own - has to be read as a part of the series.

Goodness only knows how many books it's going to take him to get into space and fighting the Gaba, given that they're still at the "breech-loading black-powder rifles are pretty cool" stage of technology. ISTR that this was originally supposed to be an 8-book series. I think this is book 7, so I suspect the number of books will be somewhat larger than originally planned...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:36 AM   #19420
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think this is book 7, so I suspect the number of books will be somewhat larger than originally planned...
Not necessarily. Ten pages from the end of the next book, the Gaba could show up and obliterate the planet.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #19421
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Not necessarily. Ten pages from the end of the next book, the Gaba could show up and obliterate the planet.
True!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #19422
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Surely, on the last page. I don't see how even David Weber could stretch "everyone's dead" out for ten pages.

I've read Like a Mighty Army too, and I agree that it is action-packed, unlike some of the earlier books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #19423
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Surely, on the last page. I don't see how even David Weber could stretch "everyone's dead" out for ten pages.
Oh, that's easy. The last ten pages are a detailed account of the planetary bombardment. (As if it could be managed in less.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 AM   #19424
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh, that's easy. The last ten pages are a detailed account of the planetary bombardment. (As if it could be managed in less.)
... with detailed technical specifications of all the ships and weapons used. He usually needs at least a hundred pages for that .
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #19425
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I don't often participate here because it seems many who contribute read a lot of the same material and I seem to read a lot that's quite different. However, I did just finish Just One Damned Thing After Another, which a lot seem to have read and enjoyed. I thought it was a lot of fun and blasted through it quickly. I'll pick up the sequels - they're available at Kobo and they're cheap!

I also just finished The Casual Vacancy. It was much better than I had expected, particularly after reading many poor reviews shortly after it was published. There wasn't a single character that I liked, but I did want to know what horrible thing each would do next. I'm a huge David Adams Richards fan; a Canadian author who writes rather dark novels that take place in the Mirimachi area of New Brunswick. Rowling's book reminded me of a Richards' book set in England.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote