Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Henry Kuttner 100th birthday yesterday

I was over at feedbooks and found a book by Henry Kuttner (one of 5 there) and was just reading the bio on him when it struck me that he would have been 100 yrs old yesterday as he was born April 7th 1915. I've read a good many of his short stories over the yrs. Alas he died in 1958. Anyway I felt that such a date shouldn't pass without note.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here, here!

Tonight's read will be a Kuttner. that reduces the list to under 100...maybe.

But which one?

The Big Night?
A Gallagher yarn?
A Hogben?
Fury?
The Iron Standard?

Decisions, decisions....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
It's unclear to me whether Clash by Night was a Kuttner story or a CL Moore story, but I love it.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
It's unclear to me whether Clash by Night was a Kuttner story or a CL Moore story, but I love it.
All I can say is that the sequel, Fury, was ascribed by CL Moore as being 7/8 Kuttner and 1/8 Moore...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
As I understand it the two of them worked on many pieces together and when one would leave off from a given book/story the other would often pick up from that point and continue for a bit and then the other would pick up the story again so maybe Clash by Night was also written that way. If so then it's a case of it being both a Kuttner and a CL Moore story.
Advert
Old 04-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Yes, I know, that's why I was unclear who was responsible for it
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Kuttner got a better word rate from the magazines, so they were known to submit her work under his name.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:15 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Kuttner got a better word rate from the magazines, so they were known to submit her work under his name.
Makes sense when you consider the times. Back then I understand female authors often used a pen name that hid their gender or just used their initials i.e. C. L. Moore for the same reason. After all a woman couldn't possibly write science fiction etc. That was a man's field of work. You still see shades of that in today's world. That's why J.K. Rowling is J.K. Rowling and not Joanne Rowling (Kathleen is her grandmother's name).