Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Two-screens-solution.

Hello, guys. I know, it could sound rather crazy, but what if it would be possible to build an app, which makes 1 multiscreen from two of them? I mean the way, it's done, for example, there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS040...eature=related
Also, it would be great, if there were a possibility to type on the LCD-screen (with the bigger keyboard) with the result being shown on E-Ink (that's connected with my first proposal to make 1 multiscreen from two of them), for example in Doc to go... What do you think? Is it possible?

Last edited by Vit-orekhov; 10-22-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Vit, I think you are asking to do something that would take a lot of knowledge and programming skill.

For a start, to make an integrated screen using both screens requires the application and combining of two completely different technologies - one having full colour capabilities at a high frame refresh rate, the other is limited to a small number of greys and white and black with a frame refresh rate you can watch.

To answer your last questions. I think I can see what you are after but there are easier ways of inputting text - I use a small USB keyboard that packs in the carry bag with my EE.

Is it possible? All things are possible if you throw enough money and resources at them

In fact the question should be. Why would we want to do such a thing?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

As I know, you have an EE. So, I think your device doesn't need this development feature at all
I thought it would be rather useful for people with PE, And the main goal, as I could presume is to open big PDFs. Maybe, to read books, but that's not for me, I like to read it on one type of screens (either E-ink or LCD). But PDF - yes, it a real problem.
+ to surf internet.
So, I think, that is. maybe, it could be easier to build an app for this two goals, what do you think?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Thumbs up

@ivanjt

I agree it will take research and knowledge, but there are places where this is already integrated; namely the Journal. When naming a Journal the entry is made on the LCD and displayed on the eInk.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
@ivanjt

I agree it will take research and knowledge, but there are places where this is already integrated; namely the Journal. When naming a Journal the entry is made on the LCD and displayed on the eInk.
You are correct Gunner but I think that is something like LCD2Eink and not the full integration Vit is talking about.

Vit,

There is one way I can see that might do what you are looking for. That is to have the keyboard on the e-ink screen and use the wacom tablet functions to map screen position to letters and numbers - something very like my Acecad D-8000 digitizer with a keyboard overlay.

To do something like that would require reverse engineering the software that runs the e-ink display just to see what controls the digitizer and how it interacts with anything on the LCD side. Not an easy job, especially since we don't have any SDK for the devices.
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #6
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
There is one way I can see that might do what you are looking for. That is to have the keyboard on the e-ink screen and use the wacom tablet functions to map screen position to letters and numbers

ivanjt, do you mean, it would be very difficult to make it vice versa?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
ivanjt, do you mean, it would be very difficult to make it vice versa?
I don't think it would be more difficult to do, just a case of 'why use the more restricted e-ink screen to display what you are typing'. I would have thought typing on the e-ink - OK you would have to use the stylus, but then I use it on the LCD keyboard anyway - and using the LCD screen to see the results would be the more logical way to do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast

Hm, but don't you think, that it's much longer to type with the stylus than with fingers on the whole-screen-keyboard?
By the way, thanx for your interest for the idea
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
Hm, but don't you think, that it's much longer to type with the stylus than with fingers on the whole-screen-keyboard?
By the way, thanx for your interest for the idea
The thing you have to consider is the response times of the two screens.

The LCD has a many times faster response than the e-ink, therefore if you were typing on it you would be typing blind or have to adjust your typing speed to the response of the e-ink - I also think the e-ink would have to refresh for each character.

By typing on the e-ink you would be using the wacom tablet as the input device - the e-ink display would have a static keyboard image. In fact once you had a key template and position mappings you could use whatever keyboard you liked - even make special keyboards if necessary.

In fact I have several templates for inputting mathematics and chemical formula that I use on my Acecad digitiser.