Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
rossdorn
rossdorn began at the beginning.

Device: Keian M716S Android 4.2.2
Second Question: How do I make ezPDF the default Reader??

On my Android 4.2.2 I have un-installed Adobe Reader and installed ezPDF.

However... When I transfer anything readable from my PC to the tablet, it still automatically gets the Adobe Reader Icon, which of course can no longer open the book/Magazine, as it is no longer installed-

How do I make ezPDF my default reader?

And: How do I get every file/folder that I transfer from my PC to the tablet, go to those bookshelves where ezPDF stores everything, when I open ezPDF?
When I transfer a weekly magazine it will appear in the newspaper folder of Android, with the Adobe Icon instead....

Thanks
rossdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Questions about Android belong in the Android forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
rossdorn
rossdorn began at the beginning.

Device: Keian M716S Android 4.2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please use the forums correctly. Questions about Android belong in the Android forum.
Same here... sorry.
rossdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

Try this:

1 - browse the folders on your android device with a proper file browser - my advice get the outstanding free ES File Explorer from Google Play Store;

2 - go to a folder where a PDF file is and “tip” on it to open the file;

3 - if there are more apps installed in your device that can open PDF’s, you will get a windows with the list of those programs, bellow you will get a little box to activate that will make the chosen app the default one to open PDF’s;

4 - activate the box and choose ezPDF Reader.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Mr. Harriman, you've given the correct answer - one that should work on most Android devices, and not just for PDFs, of course. I have successfully used the steps you described with my Google Nexus.

However, on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, the little box for setting the default is not present. I see the choice of apps that you describe, but that's all. I can select the desired app, but the next time I try to open a file of the relevant type, I have to do the same thing again.

Given that you have a Galaxy Note, I was wondering if you could throw any light on this?

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
On TouchWiz (I have a Galaxy S4 and Note 8), when you go to open a downloaded PDF, there should be a prompt with all the apps on the device that can open the file. There are two buttons underneath, "Always" or "Just Once". Choose always.

Last edited by roninmedia; 10-19-2014 at 05:38 PM.
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello Mr. Mike L

I have tested with my android phone (the galaxy note) and my tablet (Qilive 97r – a rebranded archos 97b platinum hd) and both show the box for setting the default app for opening / using a file, so I find very strange that you do not get the same on your galaxy tab tablet.

Still, it exists a free app that supposedly let’s one set the default app for every type or file (and more – like having a period of time where one can still choose a different app before the default deals with the file).

I have not used it myself, but it’s called “Better Open With” and can be downloaded on google play store.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
... I find very strange that you do not get the same on your galaxy tab tablet.
Well, there are other things like that missing on the Tab, and several weird things that don't quite work as well as on other Android devices I've used. I plan to move back to the Nexus when the new models are available.

Quote:
I have not used it myself, but it’s called “Better Open With” and can be downloaded on google play store.
That's good to know. I'll give it a try and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
On TouchWiz (I have a Galaxy S4 and Note 8), when you go to open a downloaded PDF, there should be a prompt with all the apps on the device that can open the file. There are two buttons underneath, "Always" or "Just Once". Choose always.
Yes, that's right. It's precisely those two buttons that are missing.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote