Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
silentspoon
silentspoon began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs500
PRS-500 - stuck "Updating Firmware Now..."

Hi all! I'd love some advice on getting my beloved reader back from an attempted flash with the UF 2.1. I've tried all the common fixes to revive the device. This is the sequence of events:
  • Latest Sony FW on the prs-500
  • Ran UF 2.1
  • Press 5 - success
  • Press 6 - failed (error while flashing partition)
  • Power off\on - hard\soft reset - Stuck at "Starting up"
  • Reset 10x - success
  • Screen at "Updating Firmware now..."
  • Full overnight charge
  • Cannot trick updater into enabling "Update" button
  • Screen still at "Updating Firmware now..."

I ran igor's ebook python script, but that did not help either. It did put the reader back to the frozen "Starting up" page, and a 10x reset got me back to the "updating firmware now" page.

I have searched for the original firmware without success. I no longer have the original installation disc to attempt a reinstall as someone pointed out in another thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

silentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Please ignore - missed that this was a 500, which I don't know enough about to comment
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
silentspoon

Thank you for taking a look and trying to offer some help. To simplify, I'm trying to trick the updater. Can a flash be done via SD card?

Any ideas out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prs-500_updater.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	38612  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm not sure I'm afraid. A bit of a long shot, but do you have other USB ports or PC's you can try running the update app on? No idea why, but when trying to update my 505, the standalone app wouldn't detect my Reader on one laptop, but did on a second one. Different ports (e.g. back rather than front) on a desktop machine have been reported to have the same effect, I think, but no idea why they might.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
outofbreath
who ? Me ?
outofbreath began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
have you tried a software like windows enabler to enable the update button ? This has worked on my terrartec iradio
outofbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
silentspoon

Exclamation

Thank you for the tips.

I tried other systems, and different USB ports on those systems, without any luck. I also used the intriguing "Windows Enabler" tool, but it too was unsuccessful at enabling the update button.

I have managed to find someone with the v1 prs-500 CD. I am going to try and load that when I get it to see if I can downgrade or re-flash my unit.

I'd hate to throw the little guy in the trash, but I can only imagine what Sony charges for an out-of-warranty repair. I understood the risk, but I should have never attempted the UF. Period.

To those out there across the interwebs - this is an example of an unrecoverable, truly bricked, Sony eReader after running the Universal Flasher.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Might this page from our wiki help?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...ctory_settings
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
silentspoon

Sorry, I should have clarified in the last post. By "unrecoverable", I mean that I have already tried every wiki entry and thread suggestion to recover the device.

Note my initial post which goes through the steps I took including hard\soft resets, 10x resets, and updater version fiddling.

Basically, I'm stuck on step 6 of the "Unbricking" section of the wiki. I cannot proceed to step 7 because the updater will not enable the button to continue.

I haven't given up all hope, however. I managed to find someone with the original CD for the PRS-500. I have my fingers crossed that this CD with the original Connect software, will allow me to reflash the device. If it works, fantastic! If it does not, people need to be aware of the risk - a truly dead ereader.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
silentspoon

Using the original prs-500 connect CD did not work to restore the unit. I'm getting "USB initilization" errors from the connect software.

I am going to send the unit to Sony as part of their ePub update procedure. During that update, they may fix it themselves at no cost to me. Worth a shot, since the next place for my reader is the trash, or getting credit towards the pocket (small, no SD ) or the touch (can't justify the cost).

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
OK; the latest firmware means you've sent it off to Laredo for the EPUB upgrade?
If not, try that They'll probably fix it in the meanwhile!
-- Oh, you're going to anyway Guess great minds think alike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentspoon View Post
Hi all! I'd love some advice on getting my beloved reader back from an attempted flash with the UF 2.1. I've tried all the common fixes to revive the device. This is the sequence of events:
  • Latest Sony FW on the prs-500
  • Ran UF 2.1
  • Press 5 - success
  • Press 6 - failed (error while flashing partition)
  • Power off\on - hard\soft reset - Stuck at "Starting up"
  • Reset 10x - success
  • Screen at "Updating Firmware now..."
  • Full overnight charge
  • Cannot trick updater into enabling "Update" button
  • Screen still at "Updating Firmware now..."

I ran igor's ebook python script, but that did not help either. It did put the reader back to the frozen "Starting up" page, and a 10x reset got me back to the "updating firmware now" page.

I have searched for the original firmware without success. I no longer have the original installation disc to attempt a reinstall as someone pointed out in another thread.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-30-2009 at 03:41 AM. Reason: moar
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Willo142
Enthusiast
Willo142 began at the beginning.

Device: None
I have this EXACT problem, and i live in the UK so cant send it in for an update

iv managed too "unlock" the update button, but it doesn't do anything because its doesn't think the prs500 is connected. even though its in device manager. is there any way i could force it too connect? or maybe i could flash it with a SD card?
i think its due too the fact i had the latest firmware on the reader.

any help? Please?

Last edited by Willo142; 12-03-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Willo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
silentspoon

I've read somewhere on this board about uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers, but I can't be sure. I never made it that far. The fact that you've unlocked the update button is, in my mind, a step in the right direction.

Be sure to try some of the other suggestions in this thread, including using the original Sony Connect CD\Software, and flashing to the original firmware first. You can also try a different USB cable, in case the cats chewed on your original

Don't feel too left out regarding the Sony update. The Sony ePub update "Terms and Conditions" explicitly states that the unit must arrive in a fully functional condition. No other repairs will be made during the update. I'm just crossing my fingers that they are a little flexible with this policy. It is en route as we speak.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #13
Willo142
Enthusiast

Quote:
I've read somewhere on this board about uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers, but I can't be sure. I never made it that far. The fact that you've unlocked the update button is, in my mind, a step in the right direction.

Be sure to try some of the other suggestions in this thread, including using the original Sony Connect CD\Software, and flashing to the original firmware first. You can also try a different USB cable, in case the cats chewed on your original

Don't feel too left out regarding the Sony update. The Sony ePub update "Terms and Conditions" explicitly states that the unit must arrive in a fully functional condition. No other repairs will be made during the update. I'm just crossing my fingers that they are a little flexible with this policy. It is en route as we speak.
Unlocking the update button isnat all that great, all i did is edit the XML, if you press it it does nothing becasue it cant see the reader( hence why its locked in the first place) although the sony library software sees the reader (although comes up error) and its in device manager.

did you ever get as far as being able too flash it?
i swear i saw some stuff using libprs500 and python, that could write directly too the reader. any ideas?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
silentspoon

None of the people who developed the Universal Flasher, libprs, or the ebook python script, have responded to this thread with suggestions. When I didn't get support using ebook.py, I pretty much gave up on that path. I don't know if it's because I'm not asking the right questions, but I never got a response from the mobileread 'technical staff'.

I too saw some information on connecting at a low-level with libprs, but I don't know anything further. If I find anything, I'll let you know. Sony may reject my epub update because of this, so I'm still interested in uncovering a solution.

Depending on how technical you are, someone may have a pinout listed on here so that we could create a jtag cable and interface directly with the device via a console.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #15
Willo142
Enthusiast

Thumbs down

Quote:
None of the people who developed the Universal Flasher, libprs, or the ebook python script, have responded to this thread with suggestions. When I didn't get support using ebook.py, I pretty much gave up on that path. I don't know if it's because I'm not asking the right questions, but I never got a response from the mobileread 'technical staff'.

I too saw some information on connecting at a low-level with libprs, but I don't know anything further. If I find anything, I'll let you know. Sony may reject my epub update because of this, so I'm still interested in uncovering a solution.

Depending on how technical you are, someone may have a pinout listed on here so that we could create a jtag cable and interface directly with the device via a console.
thats what im working on now, Luckily im pretty handy with Python, and iv managed to get the lib usb drivers too work and recognise it.

heres the output
Spoiler:
Code:
Device: \\.\libusb0-0002--0x054c-0x029b
  Device class: 0
  Device sub class: 0
  Device protocol: 0
  Max packet size: 32
  idVendor: 1356 (0x054c)
  idProduct: 667 (0x029b)
  Device Version: 01.00
  Configuration: 1
    Total length: 32
    selfPowered: 0
    remoteWakeup: 0
    maxPower: 232
    Interface: 0
    Alternate Setting: 0
      Interface class: 255
      Interface sub class: 0
      Interface protocol: 0
      Endpoint: 0x81L
        Type: 2
        Max packet size: 64
        Interval: 0
      Endpoint: 0x2L
  Configuration: 2
    Total length: 32
    selfPowered: 1
    remoteWakeup: 0
    maxPower: 4
    Interface: 0
    Alternate Setting: 0
      Interface class: 255
      Interface sub class: 0
      Interface protocol: 0
      Endpoint: 0x81L
      Endpoint: 0x2L
Bus bus-0 Device \\.\libusb0-0002--0x054c-0x029b: ID 054c:029b Sony
<usb.DeviceHandle object at 0x013B2260>

so at least theres hope, im just wondering weather such a high level language can write too flash, looking at Ebook.py it should be able too, because you/i could change the mode into normal (although it didnt help lol)

i hope they reply, it will make the whole situation a bit easier.

if it does come back fixed, Wanna buy mine for $80? :P

as for the pinout.
Spoiler:

i dont fancy soldering that bad-boy lol

Last edited by Willo142; 12-04-2009 at 04:17 PM.