Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
Easiest drm to circumvent

I'm wondering which drm format is easiest to break. I don't like the idea of being forced to use one device or the possibility of the device switching formats. At the least, I'd like to be prepared for the worst. As I don't own an eReader yet (waiting on Kindle 2 and the Astak updates) this would help decide things. Thanks!
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Mobi with mobidedrm, IMHO
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Would that include Kindle, since it's a form of Mobi?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Don't know that... I have a Sony 505. I'm sure one of the Kindle folks will amble along shortly...
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MOBI and eReader both require Python scripts run from the command line to strip their DRM. LIT requires a C program which you can get as a pre-built binary for the command line, and under Windows there is a GUI (ConvertLIT GUI). Amazon's AZW format is MOBI, and can be made DRM-free with mobidedrm like most other MOBIs. However you can only currently buy from Amazon if you have a Kindle (there are reports that this will change soon), and some Amazon titles are in the TOPAZ format which, like Adobe PDF and ePub, is currently not strippable.

Secure LIT is only down-loadable using Windows Internet Explorer (i.e. you need a Windows PC), but it is the most feature rich of the formats and the most often recommended. MOBI and eReader are ok too, particularly if your current device supports the format and you want DRM-stripping capability for the future. With LIT the ebook is typically immediately format shifted to allow it to be read on your device, because relatively few devices support it directly.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Mobi (so Kindle azw), MS Reader (lit) and eReader are all equally deDRMable. There is a tool available for each format.

Now, Sony's LRX and Secure Adobe do not have deDRM tools that I have ever seen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Both Mobipocket (.prc/.mobi) and Microsoft reader (.lit) are easy to strip. (not break - you must know the keys with which the files were encoded).

If you're on windows I'd advise going for .lit files, since in general they have the best quality HTML and images, and are easiest to convert to other formats.

If you're not on Windows, obtaining DRMed .lit files is very hard or impossible, so I'd advise going for Mobipocket.

eReader format can also be stripped easily, but has a very specific coding of the text, which can be converted to HTML, but means it's not as convenient as the other two.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
I'm wondering which drm format is easiest to break. I don't like the idea of being forced to use one device or the possibility of the device switching formats. At the least, I'd like to be prepared for the worst. As I don't own an eReader yet (waiting on Kindle 2 and the Astak updates) this would help decide things. Thanks!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Thanks for all this great info! I am on Windows and expect to be so unless Apple reveals a magical way to run Windows programs without virtualizing Windows :-)

I need to find some online sources for LIT files to see what's available. The little research I did showed that MOBI & PDFs were most common, at least for the 15 or so books I checked. For a reader, I've been leaning towards the Kindle due to ease of use & generally better book prices, but I think anything else that does MOBI well would be a likely candidate.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FictionWise and Books on Board sell Secure LIT ebooks. It is often available for DRM-free "multi-format" ebooks, like those from FictionWise, Baen books, and manybooks.net (although there is then less need to do your own conversion).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Maybe waiting has been good. The upcoming Astak options seem pretty good too.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Thanks for all this great info! I am on Windows and expect to be so unless Apple reveals a magical way to run Windows programs without virtualizing Windows :-)
Ive Heard that Windows Virtrulzation under apple is so complete now that many people who have had it set up for them dont even know the difference between a window in OSX and a window in XP in Virtual.

see this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9jNNeEd98 I believe you can set up shortcuts too to boot windows programs from the OSX taskbar.

I only find the price of Macs Prohibitive. but many people dont.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I need to find some online sources for LIT files to see what's available. The little research I did showed that MOBI & PDFs were most common, at least for the 15 or so books I checked. For a reader, I've been leaning towards the Kindle due to ease of use & generally better book prices, but I think anything else that does MOBI well would be a likely candidate.
You can find free sample books in most formats at http://www.fictionwise.com/ Just click the free eBooks link, and then choose the format you're looking for in the drop down menu.

They have at least one of secure Mobipocket and Microsoft Reader and lots of Secure eReader at the moment (the Harlequin romances).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
There are very few windows programs that don't have a Mac counterpart. Either a Mac version of that specific app, or a similar (and usually better) native Mac option.

The main fault in the offerings is games. Very few PC games run on Macs... even though some of the more popular ones do. But, I much prefer my XBox 360 for gaming to a PC.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
.lit has been easiest for me, and I'm a command line dummy.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
Ive Heard that Windows Virtrulzation under apple is so complete now that many people who have had it set up for them dont even know the difference between a window in OSX and a window in XP in Virtual.
It still requires running a second OS at the same time. I did that with Linux and some programs (namely Adobe products) ran much worse. Thus I went back to Windows, got a new computer with Vista and will be going back to XP shortly.

What would be truly magical if somehow the virtualization doesn't require 2 OS's to run at the same time.

Tags
drm