Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
Neptunus
Neptunus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Unable to Download Metadata

Two week ago, I installed Callibre 64 on a fresh new PC with Windows 8.1 Pro (64b) But now, I can't download the metadata anymore. It will time-out and give me an error on every book I look for. It worked OK on my old PC with windows 7 (32b). After that, my netwerk LAN internet connection is very slow or complete gone. I have to restart the PC to bring back my LAN internet connection.
After a new PC startup my connection is back. In safemode, Calibre and downloading metadata works well. This only happens with Calibre. I tried the 32b version: same problem. I have the latest realtek LAN drivers for , the latest motherboard firmware (Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD-3) for my on-board PCIe family Controller. After losing connection, I flushed DNS, reset winsock, disabled IP6 in LAN driver, but nothing helps. I may be a windows 8.1 problem, but for me, it only happens with running Calibre, loading internet meta data. Am I the only one with this problem ? Any advice on how to solve this would be welcome !
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunus View Post
After a new PC startup my connection is back. In safemode, Calibre and downloading metadata works well.
This would indicate a third party program that does not boot up in safe mode is blocking calibre from accessing the internet. Typically this would mean your anti-virus or firewall is the culprit. Make sure calibre is allowed to pass through these programs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Neptunus
Neptunus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Thanks ! Problem solved. I uninstalled all my drivers, and installed all latest drivers (again) from the Gigabyte motherboard support site. Now it works at last.
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Glad to hear you are up and running again.
Advert