Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Basic Kindle 'v' Paperwhite

Hi folks

Both Wife and I have Kindle readers, the basic reader with the page turn buttons (not a Touch) its around a year old so not the current £69 version but the one previous to that. Overall we're both delighted with these and use them a lot. We're both particularly impressed with the screens and the general 'readability' of the page. We use our Kindle's as pure book readers so have no interest in web browsers/email/Apps/colour screens or other tablet-like functionality.

Whilst neither of us have any particular complaints about our Kindle's It's wife's birthday coming up and I'm contemplating getting her an upgrade to the Paperwhite (PW) . I'd be interested in feedback from users who have taken this upgrade route. For me the biggest factor in any upgrade is the readability of the screen.

Questions

1) With the screen lighting turned OFF is there any difference in the clarity or general readability of the Kindles we currently have and the PW?

2) One of the reasons I like our current basic Kindle's is that it does have the page turn buttons . I have a thing about dirty screens and the buttons avoid the need to touch the screen at all thereby reducing the need to clean the screen. So how quickly does the screen get dirty from page turn touches and general use? Do you find this a problem?

3) One last query, based on past product release frequency any thoughts on the probability of a Paperwhite II hitting the market any time soon?

All comment & opinion welcome.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'll let those who own PW's advise you of your first two questions but in terms of the possibility of a PW II being released, I don't think anyone knows for certain but Amazon have released a new Kindle every year for the past few years now, and it's generally in the Autumn (Sep/Oct) they make an announcement. However it may not be available to buy until November or December (or later, with the Touch in 2011 we had to wait until April before it was available in the UK, last year with the Paperwhite it wasn't so bad, December if I remember correctly?).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
I had a Paperwhite and downgraded to the basic and have not regretted my decision to do that.

My reasons:
1. slimmer, lighter and easier for me to hold.
2. looks better in a well lit room. Because:
A) the natural color of the screen is lighter and provides better contrast IMO than the PW light off/very low. The PW screen is more of darker coffee color while the Basic Kindle (as you know) is more grey.
B) The capacitive touch screen and the lighting system on the PW create extra layers which to me make the e-ink text look sunken into the screen. I like the basic because the text seems to be right on top of the screen similar to ink on paper. That seems lost to me on the PW.
3. Battery life on the PW seems to drain faster especially when using the light which cannot be fully turned off.
3. PW felt too much like an electronic device (a tablet). Others may disagree so I want to emphasize that this is a subjective opinion. What I want in a e-reader is to disappear into the reading experience in the same way that I do with a book. The less bells and whistles, the less distractions.

There is a lot like about the PW - easier to read under different light conditions, better collection menu's, sleek feel and generally a nice looking device, fonts, customization etc.

IMO having owned both devices the kindle basic looks much better under good natural light. That's what mattered to me and that's what I compared both devices with when I had them (I bought both to test). If you find yourself agreeing with me, I would wait for the PW II.

I'm hoping they update the basic to higher ppi and more fonts while keeping it a non touch device.

Last edited by stutzj; 07-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I really like my Paperwhite, but I'm not 100% sure it's an obvious decision.

As has been stated; in good lighting, the basic Kindle's screen is superior to the Paperwhite, especially outdoors. The Paperwhite's screen, while higher resolution, has the touch and lighting layer over the eink. While it's barely perceptible, it adds to the feeling that the print is below the surface rather than ON the surface, like plain e-ink. If you look closely, you can also see a grid of fine dots from the capacitive touch layer.

That said, in anything less than perfect light (90% of the time, for me) the Paperwhite shines <grin>. I run my Paperwhite at such a setting that you can barely tell that it's lit, and I find that it's much whiter, as advertised. When I go back to a regular Kindle I find it hard to read, distracting just how gray and dull it looks. The Paperwhite really is that much better -- I honestly couldn't go back for MOST reading environments. Also, touchscreen is a big help for navigating to footnotes, looking up words, highlighting passages, etc...

Paperwhite:
+ Screen in less than ideal lighting
+ Dictionary
+ Highlights

Basic Kindle:
+ Outdoor Reading
+ Form Factor (smaller, lighter)
+ More predictable page turns (I sometimes get random back/forth, or double page turns on the Paperwhite)

Personally, I'm sticking with the Paperwhite, but am curious what'll come out later this year. Hopefully they improve the lighting and touch to lessen the gap for outdoor reading.

Hope this helps...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I love my PW. If I had a basic kindle, I would not hesitate to upgrade. The frontlight alone makes it very worth it, especially if she reads often in the dark or poorly lit places.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I own two of the $69 Kindles and they are collecting dust. Once I upgraded to a Paperwhite I needed no other reader. It's perfect for me. I have no complaints. The higher resolution, the front light, cover view and the ability to use my own fonts are four of the main reasons I upgraded.

The differences between Kindles with the light down is huge! It's higher resolution than the K4 and the background is much cleaner and nicer. I can't read on the K4 now I am use to a PW i it just looks ugly to me.

I clean my Screen maybe once a week. I never notice fingerprints unless I am holding it up to a light looking for them.

If they have any new Kindles it will be announced later in the Fall and they come out usually right before the Holiday.

I also don't miss the on screen keyboard on the K4. Every month when I check out a new book from the Lending Library on my K4 I am reminded just how hard it is to type on it. The touch screen keyboard on the Paperwhite is so much easier and faster.

I think it would be a great gift for your wife. Go For it! I love mine and I could never go back to a unlit eReader with lower resolution.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-01-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The keyboard is a great point. I buy and borrow through the website with a computer, but if you do it on device it'll be much better with the Paperwhite.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
I had a Paperwhite and downgraded to the basic and have not regretted my decision to do that.

My reasons:
2. looks better in a well lit room. Because:
A) the natural color of the screen is lighter and provides better contrast IMO than the PW light off/very low. The PW screen is more of darker coffee color while the Basic Kindle (as you know) is more grey.

3. PW felt too much like an electronic device (a tablet). Others may disagree so I want to emphasize that this is a subjective opinion. What I want in a e-reader is to disappear into the reading experience in the same way that I do with a book. The less bells and whistles, the less distractions.

2a. This is not true on all PWs Mine is much whiter than any K4 I own. I own a K4S with a grayish background and a K4B with a creme color background my PW is much lighter and cleaner definitely not a coffee color background. EInk varies, I own 4 Kindles and all have different background colors.

3. Battery life on my PW with daily use is much better than either K4 I own which just sits doing nothing. I charge my PW every 21 days and my K4s I get 14 to 18 days and this without use. I keep my light on my PW on 8 at all times. I don't charge my Kindles till I get the battery low pop up and I keep WiFi off unless needed.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The keyboard is a great point. I buy and borrow through the website with a computer, but if you do it on device it'll be much better with the Paperwhite.
I cringe each time I have to use the K4's keyboard. It's only once a month to check out a book but it takes forever to type two words in the search box.

I also love the Paperwhite's translate feature. It works pretty good most of the time. I use it alot when I am reading a romance and the hero throws in a foreign word or phrase I don't know. So much easier to use the Dictionary as well compare to the K3 and K4.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The light diffuser does - to my eyes - make the screen marginally less clear in good lighting, but the higher-resolution screen, and the ease of reading in poor light, vastly more than compensates for that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
My Paperwhite screen is more grey and dark, with light off, than my sony prs t2, fairly

I think that it don´t happen with kobo glo, for example

It´s only thing that makes my doubt about new kindle this year...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I also love the Paperwhite's translate feature. It works pretty good most of the time. I use it alot when I am reading a romance and the hero throws in a foreign word or phrase I don't know. So much easier to use the Dictionary as well compare to the K3 and K4.
Another good point. I can read foreign language books, even hard ones with as many as 20% of the words new to me, at an acceptable speed with the translate feature... it's amazing how fluid it is. I only wish they'd put the translate button on the first level menu.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
About front-lit devices:

I will never again buy an ebook reader that is not front-lit, that's how much I enjoy reading on my Kindlewhite and Kobo Glo. My decision, therefore, rules out the basic Kindle.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Paperwhite does not show oils to nearly the same extent as tablets seem to do. Operating a tablet generally requires many more taps and swipes than the PW does. The coating on the screen may also be a factor. The tablets that I've seen have had glossy screens to make the colors more vivid.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
If you're talking about a non-touch vs a paperwhite, I'd get one with a touch screen before one without, and that's before consideirng the glow light. You will curse every time you want to look a word up in the dictionary if you have to scroll through the screen with arrow keys. Get a touch screen. And then get a glow screen so you can read easily when lighting is dim!
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote