Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Shipping Options

Most online stores provide 2 options, slower/cheaper (for N.America it would be US Postal Service) and a faster/expensive (UPS, FedEx). I am generally not in a hurry so use slower USPS. Seems Bookeen only has FedEx and no cheaper option.

I am in Canada. Besides their higher prices, both UPS and FedEx have a hidden "border broker fee", which is NOT listed on the bill. This additional fee can double and triple shipping costs

I sent a message to them, so perhaps they'll fix it. Any tips on how to avoid FedEx shipping and ensure shipping costs don't escalate. I consider up to 10% (or $35 in this case) to be reasonable.

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
They are shipping from France. So no US postal service I guess. In Europe (At least in Holland) there is no real difference in price and speed between the various ways of Shipping.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

They could easily ship a container of devices to US, then distribute it from US using US Postal Service. I would be surprised if they packaged and shipped them individually from France. I assume they would sell a lot to US, so bulk shipping to a US based distributor would make sense.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
They could easily ship a container of devices to US, then distribute it from US using US Postal Service. I would be surprised if they packaged and shipped them individually from France. I assume they would sell a lot to US, so bulk shipping to a US based distributor would make sense.
If they had a US based distributor. I think NAEB is working on that role.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
They're shipping FedEx Express (Air) which I believe includes the Brokerage fee. I'll send an email to FedEx to confirm. I believe it's just the Ground Services (FedEx or UPS) that have hidden (ridiculous) brokerage fees to Canada. Luckily ground service isn't an option from France to Canada. ;-)
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
They're shipping FedEx Express (Air) which I believe includes the Brokerage fee. I'll send an email to FedEx to confirm. I believe it's just the Ground Services (FedEx or UPS) that have hidden (ridiculous) brokerage fees to Canada. Luckily ground service isn't an option from France to Canada. ;-)
They confirmed that they ship directly from France to Canada (so my guess above was wrong). They are not aware of any hidden fees. I would appreciate very much if you could post here the response from FedEx. thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM   #7
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Bob, I'm also in Canada. What shipping fee do they quote you for sending it to Canada?
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 AM   #8
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuata View Post
Bob, I'm also in Canada. What shipping fee do they quote you for sending it to Canada?
Hi there,

on their webshop they state CAN$ 350.00 for the devise + CAN $32.15 for FedEx Express delivery (2 days). So, it's a total of CAN$ 382.15. I have no idea, how much the Canadian customs and import taxes (if any?) will be. I wonder whether this will reach the 365 EURO I will have to pay :-(

Cheers,
Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
bob_ninja
Addict

Yep, that is correct.
Canada Customs would usually charge GST/PST, about 11%
That is what I had to pay at a land border to US.
The brokerage fee which I had to pay to UPS for shipping from US by land can be as much as 50%. I guess it combined Customs fee (GST/PST) with UPS' own additional charge. So I really want to avoid that nonsense. GST/PST is the fact of life here like VAT in Europe, so fine.

I just want to ensure that FedEx Air won't go beyond GST/PST. That would be good enough for me.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
They confirmed that they ship directly from France to Canada (so my guess above was wrong). They are not aware of any hidden fees. I would appreciate very much if you could post here the response from FedEx. thanks
I called FedEx Express and they confirmed that the brokerage fees are included in the Express shipping.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I called FedEx Express and they confirmed that the brokerage fees are included in the Express shipping.
Great news!!! thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #12
bob_ninja
Addict

Well mine has arrived, but now I see the f.... broker popup in FedEx tracking tool:

Nov 6, 2007 12:14 PM

In transit

OTTAWA, ON

Package to be cleared by FedEx broker

I sure hope I don't get slapped with a $50 broker fee YET AGAIN
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
bob_ninja
Addict

I picked it up.
There was only a minor $7 fee, plus GST/PST, which is common for most imported products. So I can say now that indeed, for Canada there are no hidden significant fees from FedEx.

Still, the total tab is now up to about $440 (including shipping and taxes).
Old 11-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
in the UK it's costing $488 (in Canadian dollars) according to my conversion widget so you're still better off even tho it's going much further! lol

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote