Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #31
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
could the app scan the device for system fonts & allow the use of what it finds, or allow fonts to be added to an application folder ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #32
mumbletop
mumbletop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Pixel 5
My one request would be for more responsive page turns. At least on my Nexus 4, when I tap or swipe to turn the page, there's a small but noticeable delay before the page turn animation starts.
mumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #33
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Take a good look at other reading apps they offer a lot of interesting features or option that the Kobo app lacks.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:25 AM   #34
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

what was changed/added in the october release to google play store please.

I see some negative reviews claiming e.g.
app now has to be online when reading
app now has unavoidable advertising pop-ups

please tell me those are not true
Old 10-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #35
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
what was changed/added in the october release to google play store please.

I see some negative reviews claiming e.g.
app now has to be online when reading
app now has unavoidable advertising pop-ups

please tell me those are not true
Still works offline for me, no problems

As for advertisements, what I have noticed is that when you get close to finishing a book, every time you tap the screen to bring up the controls you will get a book recommendation in the top quarter and the option of downloading it

not noticed any other visible changes to it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
Still works offline for me, no problems

As for advertisements, what I have noticed is that when you get close to finishing a book, every time you tap the screen to bring up the controls you will get a book recommendation in the top quarter and the option of downloading it

not noticed any other visible changes to it
yes, I tested offline reading on my Kobo tablet - that worked for me also, whoever wrote the reviewer in question must have been confused.

does the book recommendation happen only with kobo store-bought books or with sideloaded books also?
I don't read much on that tablet & I have avoided updating the sideloaded app on my Kindle. A not-blockable pop up on sideloaded books would annoy me a lot.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #37
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Not sure on sideloaded, I only use the kobo app for store bought books

It's not really a pop-up, it looks more like its embedded into the top part of the page, hard to explain but it looks like its part of the page, it only appears when you tap the page to bring up the controls, then goes again while reading

I usually only tap the page when finished reading, so I can hit the back button to go back to the home page, so its quite easy to ignore
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #38
cardigan
cardigan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo android app
Hello! I would love to see the following implemented in the android app:

1. Removal of Kobo's internal margin. (Right now I need to set all page, body margins to zero within the epub to be left with a normal margin)

2. Scrolling a page as an alternative for browsing.

3. Implementation of footnote pop-ups.

4. Dropbox, et al., syncing.

Thanks!
cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #39
ethan3686
ethan3686 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Better browser..maybe opera or chrome.
ethan3686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Being that it's Android, the best browser is Firefox. No idea what version Android is needed though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #41
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
For Android I prefer Dolphin, it's lighter.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #42
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Being that it's Android, the best browser is Firefox. No idea what version Android is needed though.
i don't see this as a kobo request at all. all the Kobo tablets can add any browser that is in google plays store - easy peasy. I tried several on mine & settled on chrome, as I can sync bookmarks etc with my PC install of same.

same comment applies if you are running the kobo android reader app on any other make of android tablet, surely. e.g. I have the Kobo app and chrome both sideloaded on Kindle Fire, as amazon does not approve of competition & won't offer either of them in their own app store

unless I'm missing something, browsing and using the reader app are two completely separate functions. Un;ess we are alking about how the app interfaces with teh kobo store, but it is always going to want to do that it's way
Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #43
Elswyth
Elswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to beholdElswyth is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Google Nexus 7
I see that this thread is quite old but as it's a sticky I hope it's still okay to post comments in here

I have an Aura HD but have recently found myself reading on my Nexus 7 tablet more and more often. Used in conjunction with a blue-light-blocking app like Twilight it actually makes for very comfortable late-night reading.

I was quite surprised however to find how many features were missing from the Android app, particularly since the Aura's formatting options are so wonderfully comprehensive.

Things that I think the Android app really need are:

Font selection
At the moment I can only use Droid Serif. There are ostensibly three choices (Droid Serif, Droid Sans and Publisher Default) but none of them actually do anything, I am stuck with Droid Sans no matter what (I have submitted a ticket regarding this but never heard back).

It would be great to have access to Malabar, Avenir and Kobo Nickel. From memory Avenir is indeed available on the iOS app.

Alignment options
I can't bear reading fully justified text, I much prefer left-aligned, ragged right.

Things that would be nice to have:
- Line-height adjustment
- Margin adjustment

It would be so great if the Android app got a bit of love, I have quite a big Kobo library and don't particularly want to shift ecosystems however I have started to buy books from Google Play instead because their font formatting options are better.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #44
BrianR
BrianR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD
I would like to be able to download books to an Android device and then transfer them to my Kobo.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote