Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Tininha it only appears huge because you have used the PE.

For me it was small because I used to haul a 17" notebook around with me

A couple of things to remember.
1. Wireless has an on/off switch between the SD card slot and mini USB port.
2. That mini USB is the one to use to connect the unit to a PC.
3. If it isn't updated make absolutely sure you have the updated for the EE - the PE updated DO NOT WORK on the EE.

Other than that, just enjoy it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Woohoo!!!

Congratulations, have fun!! I'll be interested to know how you like it.

And listen to Ivan (above), he knows what he's talking about! You'll find some other differences -- for instance, the hinge responds differently on the EE than the PE. It kind of creaks and is harder to open, but that is probably good, given its size.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Filark; 07-25-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #48
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Best wishes! The EE is great for reading on.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
Tininha
Enthusiast
Tininha began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Entourage Pocket Edge + Entourage Edge
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Tininha it only appears huge because you have used the PE.

For me it was small because I used to haul a 17" notebook around with me
Well, I also have a 17" notebook, but it's not the same... I think! The purpose is entirelly different; one is for work, the other is (mostly) for fun... But you're right, I've been using the PE for almost 2 years, now, and I'm used to the size and weight - how heavier it's the EE, no? I'm kind of worry .
A couple of things to remember.
1. Wireless has an on/off switch between the SD card slot and mini USB port.
Thank you for this info, I had never heard that before!
2. That mini USB is the one to use to connect the unit to a PC.
3. If it isn't updated make absolutely sure you have the updated for the EE - the PE updated DO NOT WORK on the EE.

Other than that, just enjoy it.
Thank you. I intend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Woohoo!!!

Congratulations, have fun!! I'll be interested to know how you like it.

And listen to Ivan (above), he knows what he's talking about! You'll find some other differences -- for instance, the hinge responds differently on the EE than the PE. (I saw that! First moment, I thought it was broken... ) It kind of creaks and is harder to open, but that is probably good, given its size.

Best of luck!
I'll let you know about my successes... or failures...
Tininha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #50
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Depending on what you use your notebook for you might be able to use it less now you have your EE.

I have a small USB keyboard that I use with my EE, plus I have added apps that let me work with our FTP and e-mail servers. This means that there is only one client that I visit where I have to take the notebook because of its large hard disk - no wireless access.

I've added a PDF of the data sheet for the EE which you may find useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf enTourage eDGe fact sheet.pdf (989.4 KB, 254 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #51
Tininha
Enthusiast

Well friends, I have the green pictures...
The EE came with Ermine.

So, everybody with Ermine has this problem? Anyone has fixed It?

If I update to Allmine, will the problem be solved? It's worthed?

Other thing - it has a slot for sim card. Can I used for internet access?

More 'fussing', more problems...

I can't find the 'power saving' item in settings... is that correct? I have that in the PE...

And I closed the EE... and had to remove the battery for the first time... it didn't return from hibernation... the EE doesn't have a reset button (or hole?)?
What do you think: return to Dingo then start all over, or just try to update to Ermine again?

I would wellcome any advices.
By the way, have a nice weekend...

Last edited by Tininha; 07-28-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #52
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tininha View Post
Well friends, I have the green pictures...
The EE came with Ermine.

So, everybody with Ermine has this problem? Anyone has fixed It?

If I update to Allmine, will the problem be solved? It's worthed?

Other thing - it has a slot for sim card. Can I used for internet access?
As far as I know every EE with Ermine, in any form, has green still pictures - videos are OK for some reason - and no one has come up with a fix yet.

No you can't use the a sim card because the card holder and necessary circuits are not installed in the unit. Apparently that was to be a later enhancement but the company died before they got that far.

Quote:
More 'fussing', more problems...

I can't find the 'power saving' item in settings... is that correct? I have that in the PE...

And I closed the EE... and had to remove the battery for the first time... it didn't return from hibernation... the EE doesn't have a reset button (or hole?)?
What do you think: return to Dingo then start all over, or just try to update to Ermine again?

I would wellcome any advices.
By the way, have a nice weekend...
Reset is by popping the battery, which to my mind is better because ti gives a complete shutdown of the electronics.

By far the biggest user of battery power is the wireless and the EE has an on/off switch for that.

I would recommend you get Elixir181.apk and install that. It gives a very good overview of what is going on and some extra controls as well.

There are a very few people that don't have a problem with hibernation, Obsessed2 being one of them, although most of us have that problem and there is no fix yet.

If your unit is working, and from what you say it is, then I see no advantage to downgrading only to upgrade again.

Likewise, unless you want the g-apps and market there is no real advantage to apply the EE version of allmine. ******If you do decide to do so MAKE SURE you get the EE VERSION, anything else causes untold trouble ******
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #53
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
There is no Power Saving section in the EE Settings menu. The brightness and screen timeout adjustments are under Display.

Enjoy!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #54
Tininha
Enthusiast

Quote:
As far as I know every EE with Ermine, in any form, has green still pictures - videos are OK for some reason - and no one has come up with a fix yet.
... what a pity...

Quote:
I would recommend you get Elixir181.apk and install that. It gives a very good overview of what is going on and some extra controls as well.
Where do I get that app?

Quote:
There are a very few people that don't have a problem with hibernation, Obsessed2 being one of them, although most of us have that problem and there is no fix yet.
So, the solution is to power off every time you take a break? And I have to say, it took me a few minutes to figure how to 'popping out' the battery...
Anyway, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
There is no Power Saving section in the EE Settings menu. The brightness and screen timeout adjustments are under Display.

Enjoy!!
Thank you. But I thought it'll be as in the PE... I'm a little disappointed..

I have another question: I read somewhere in here something about a 'Golden Pablo'... do you know what it is?
Any of you know if there's someone trying to fix these little problems, or to enhance the OS of EE and PE?

Another thing: ivanjt, you said that you use the EE for work. I don't know what you do, but I'm an architect. Do you - or anybody else - know anny apps that might be useful in my case - design, vector drawing, etc.?

Thank you, again. We are having a beautiful winter afternoon, very sunny and blue. I hope all of you are having a beautiful day, too.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #55
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Where do I get that app?
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/elixir

Quote:
So, the solution is to power off every time you take a break? And I have to say, it took me a few minutes to figure how to 'popping out' the battery...
Anyway, thanks.
It all depends on how long the break is for short breaks just leave it on and open, that is what I do.

Quote:
I have another question: I read somewhere in here something about a 'Golden Pablo'... do you know what it is?
Any of you know if there's someone trying to fix these little problems, or to enhance the OS of EE and PE?
At the moment it is for the PE only - there may be a version for the EE at a later date. The idea of it is to replace the OS in the event of serious problems without the need to go to the Dingo golden update first i.e. it acts as a standard golden update.

Quote:
Another thing: ivanjt, you said that you use the EE for work. I don't know what you do, but I'm an architect. Do you - or anybody else - know anny apps that might be useful in my case - design, vector drawing, etc.?

Thank you, again. We are having a beautiful winter afternoon, very sunny and blue. I hope all of you are having a beautiful day, too.
I own a small computer services business and so have access to things like our various servers which allows me to use my EE as a simple workstation especially when I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse.

I think I know what you need - I passed the intermediate RIBA exam in the early 60s but never continued because the engineering and electronics called.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow - nearly midnight here and it is beginning to cool down at last so it's time to walk my dog.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #56
Tininha
Enthusiast

Quote:
http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/elixir

It all depends on how long the break is for short breaks just leave it on and open, that is what I do.

At the moment it is for the PE only - there may be a version for the EE at a later date. The idea of it is to replace the OS in the event of serious problems without the need to go to the Dingo golden update first i.e. it acts as a standard golden update.

I own a small computer services business and so have access to things like our various servers which allows me to use my EE as a simple workstation especially when I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse.

I think I know what you need - I passed the intermediate RIBA exam in the early 60s but never continued because the engineering and electronics called.

I'll see what I can find tomorrow - nearly midnight here and it is beginning to cool down at last so it's time to walk my dog.
Thank you!!!
You know, maybe we are at the same (or similar...) age group... I went to architectural school in the 70's...

Bye. I have a cat, so I never have to walk her... and I don't know if it's good or bad...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #57
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Thank you!!!
You know, maybe we are at the same (or similar...) age group... I went to architectural school in the 70's...

Bye. I have a cat, so I never have to walk her... and I don't know if it's good or bad...
I'm happy to pass on what I have learned.

I had a look for vector drawing programs that would work with Ermine and have drawn a blank so far.

I know there are several web-based vector drawing programs that you might be able to use. You would be doing something like I do with the server maintenance except I use our own web server not a general one.

The one thing about having a dog - especially a very large Newfoundland who thinks a 5 km trek is just a short stroll - ie that it keeps you fit. At 70 odd I can still out distance younger people up the hill to my house
Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #58
Tininha
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm happy to pass on what I have learned.

I had a look for vector drawing programs that would work with Ermine and have drawn a blank so far.

I know there are several web-based vector drawing programs that you might be able to use. You would be doing something like I do with the server maintenance except I use our own web server not a general one.

The one thing about having a dog - especially a very large Newfoundland who thinks a 5 km trek is just a short stroll - ie that it keeps you fit. At 70 odd I can still out distance younger people up the hill to my house
Again, thank you for your help and your trouble...

And after what you just said, I'll have to get a dog... at 55 I walk slower than my father, who is 90... maybe that's the reason I really love cats... they spend at least 16 hours a day sleeping, so I get some rest! A very busy walking father of 90 years old is quite a work beyond the job. Is so tiring... But I love him. And I love gadgets, too...