Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
WinCE Bible App... Highly Recommended

For those looking for a good WindowsCE Bible app... with plenty of quick, responsive cross-reference, I am now recommending "The Online Bible" (PocketOnlineBible) as absolutely the best for the A81/W1060 device! I've tried about half-a-dozen on the A81 and none compare to this one. Oh yeah... it's FREE!

When I first discovered this bible a few weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised when it loaded to the A81. It uses a somewhat different means of loading than any of the apps I have on my Wits. You put the parent Windows XP/etc on your computer; load all the bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, etc that you desire; sync your A81 using ActiveSynce; and instead of going into the ActiveSynce interface, you load everything from the application itself.

To my surprise, the app actually opened and worked! But... it opened in a very small window fit for a phone or pocketpc screen. The good thing is it also had a standard 'window expand' button which allowed it to fill the entire screen. Now the bad part... even when filling the screen, the text itself still only covered the left 1-1/2" of screen and would not expand correctly. Also, the tabs were quite minuscule and impossible to read (due to the pocketpc nature of the app). So I contacted the developer.

Again, I was surprised how quickly they responded and took the issue to heart. Since they didn't have a comparable device to the A81, they continued to send me revisions of the app so I could test and let them know what was taking place. Very soon they had a fully-functioning, full width version which I have very few complaints about. There are still a few extremely minor tweaks which I would love to see implemented (cleartype text instead of standard coarse text) but even as-is, it's the best out there!

The cross-referencing functions are superb! Tap on a word and it takes you to one of two dictionaries (more can be added) and you get the definition. Tap on a Strongs number and it takes you to the Greek or Hebrew Strong's explanation. Commentaries cross-reference the passage you're at and also can show all the parallel passages which are pertinent. Of course it has Search, but in this case you have a very detailed and powerful search tool. I could go on-and-on.

For those accustomed to reading the Bible as an ebook, you might notice some difference with this software. It takes several lonnng seconds for it to first start-up. I believe that's because it's accessing so much material. But the really good part is once the app is opened, you can instantly cross-reference back-and-forth between any information you might be looking for. Example, tap on a dictionary link and as soon as tapped... you have all the bible reference material on the screen. I haven't used any of the ebook readers which allow such speed between linked resources as this does.

Remember, when you go to their site, there is no download for the pocketpc version, you simply download the Windows app and the pocketpc information is also downloaded to your host computer, just waiting for you to sync and load to your device. It might also sync to other WinCe devices, I'm not sure, but I know it loads to the Witstech/Wirelession one.

Here's the link...
http://www.onlinebible.net/index.html

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-17-2011 at 07:35 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

I forgot to mention this comes with everything you need to use all the cross-reference functions but, you can also download dozens and dozens more. The only requirement is that in order to access any additional bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, and other material, you must pay one-time-fee of $15.00 for access code. But, it's well worth the cost to have so much good material accessible so easily. Go for it... it's worth it.

Last edited by pphilipp; 07-29-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
pphilipp
Addict

One other note...
The Wits device runs both Windows CE 6 and Android 2.1 as options. I've switched back and forth between the two. Naturally, I enjoy the pretty interface of Android and I've tested several bible apps on both of the operating systems, and had really hoped for a powerful bible app to use on Android. Unfortunately, at this point in time, none of the Android bibles have even come close to the strength of this WinCE one.

If a person switches between bibles, commentaries and other resources, it is much, much quicker to use this software. 'Almost instantaneous' compared to 'several seconds' seems like eternity when switching back and forth.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
[QUOTE= Oh yeah... it's FREE![/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...it's NOT free! The program comes with a few books, but everything else costs extra. I can understand paying for development to make a better product, but if you're going to use our forum to advertise your stuff, at least be honest about it!!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I can understand paying for development to make a better product, but if you're going to use our forum to advertise your stuff, at least be honest about it!!
What the heck?

I'm a user, not a developer.
I am honest and I believe the software's developer is honest as well.
I'm only relaying the facts, and I have mentioned there is a charge if one decides to go that far with it. That in no way takes away from the fact that the developer offers the program for no charge.

Be careful when making accusations.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Given the fact that your first post reads like an ad, and you bumped it repeatedly, I can see what might have given him that impression.

Oh, and I just noticed you posted an identical advertisement in a different thread.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'll stick with e-Sword on my desktop and netbook computers, thankyouverymuch.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Shouldn't this bible-thumping ad of a post be deleted?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'll stick with e-Sword on my desktop and netbook computers, thankyouverymuch.
You are right, Esword is a fantastic app!! I use it on my computer as well.

Unfortunately, it does not work correctly on devices such as the Wirelession and many other tablets of it's nature.

Perhaps in the future, if esword decides to support other platforms, like they did in the past.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Shouldn't this bible-thumping ad of a post be deleted?
Ouch.

I totally agree with you. If my review is misinterpreted as an "AD" then it probably should be deleted.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
I forgot to mention this comes with everything you need to use all the cross-reference functions but, you can also download dozens and dozens more. The only requirement is that in order to access any additional bibles, commentaries, dictionaries, and other material, you must pay one-time-fee of $15.00 for access code. But, it's well worth the cost to have so much good material accessible so easily. Go for it... it's worth it.
I am slightly dubious about this. Most Bible translations are commercial products, and to offer unlimited access for $15 seems a little peculiar. Are they perhaps not offering the "standard" commercial translations (NRSV, ESV, etc)?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am slightly dubious about this. Most Bible translations are commercial products, and to offer unlimited access for $15 seems a little peculiar. Are they perhaps not offering the "standard" commercial translations (NRSV, ESV, etc)?
No, this is not 'unlimited access' of modules which you have to pay for... commercial products. No matter who's software you use, whether it is OliveTree, eSword, Laridian, Logos, (others) those modules require a fee since the publishers require it.

OnlineBible offers the pocketpc version free, containing all modules needed to fully use the product. But, if you want to use all the additional modules you have loaded to the Windows version, then they require this 'development fee' so that those public domain modules can be synced to the device.

Do I agree with their policy? Is it any worse than what other companies charge for? Is it unjustified? I don't feel either myself or anyone else can really offer an argument against it. I do know that in the almost 30 years I've used computer bible programs, I've paid far more than $15 for far lesser applications. It's not really relevant. For the Chinese MID device I use this software on, it has no competition... which is really what this post is all about... not what is available for Windows or for iPad or Kindle, etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I'm not complaining. Just trying to clarify the situation.

So you pay $15, and that then gives you the ability to load other public domain translations, is that right? What about commercial translations? Can you buy those, as you can with Olive Tree, for example?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
pphilipp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you pay $15, and that then gives you the ability to load other public domain translations, is that right? What about commercial translations? Can you buy those, as you can with Olive Tree, for example?
Yes, it seems to be the same setup that OliveTree and others have regarding the commercial translations. I haven't purchased any of OnlineBible's translations (I've already spent too much with OliveTree, Laridian and Logos for the same translations). It seems like last time I looked, their fee was $10 per translation, which I believe is comparable with the other companies. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't offer near as many choices as OliveTree does... maybe a dozen at the most. If you count the commentaries and dictionaries, OliveTree offers something for everyone, or those who can afford to purchase a whole assortment.

It seems like once you look into most of these Bible apps, the selection of free material is quite similar between them all... public domain and 'old' stuff. Most of the newest translations are where it costs you. One exception to this rule is the ESV translation. For some reason it is offered free on some sites and is charged for on others. I have been told the free version is an earlier release where the latest release requires payment.

Last edited by pphilipp; 08-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
pphilipp
Addict

I'm adding a footnote to this post.

I had to sell my Wince Wits A81, but have purchased an Android replacement. I have thoroughly tested several Bible apps and unfortunately, there are none for Android which come close to this one. Until a good Bible arrives, I will make do with what is available.

If you are looking into purchasing a new device, and the main purpose is to study the Bible, perhaps the Android platform is not the right one for you. It's true there's many Bible apps available for it, but you will have to compromise on indepth features and reference ease.