Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #61
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
It charges when it's magnetically attached to the Kindle itself.
.... when you plug the Kindle itself into a USB charger.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #62
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
.... when you plug the Kindle itself into a USB charger.
Yeah, obviously.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #63
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Anything is possible, but I think the drain of BT on an already small battery (when no cover is attached) would not have been a smart addition on Amazon's part.
BT LE would be plenty of bandwidth for TTS, and is designed with devices running on very tiny batteries in mind. Wifi is a battery hog in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
perhaps the code was developed but the decision was made to kill the sound feature and no one thought to remove the files. It wouldn't be the first time that hardware and software groups failed to communicate properly on a project.
I would bet money that this would be the case.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #64
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
I'd love to see photos of all the Merlot covers you guys receive --- I want to see what the variations are (brightness, etc) before I decide what color I want to order. Because leather never takes color identically, the way that plastic does. Thanks Mickey330 for your pics. Other folks, if you could??

I'd also like to see pics of brown covers -- it almost looks like a brushed suede on one early video, but that wouldn't be consistent with the Merlot pics we've had.
I've read comments from people who've seen all the covers that the brown cover, unlike the others, does have a suede-like feel. One person said that it seemed likely to show every little scuff. That won't bother me as I kind of like things that look like they've had a long and interesting life.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #65
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I see atrocious typography.
Please notice the lack of hyphenation.

Look at the spaces between words in the first and second line of the first paragraph and the two last lines on page.

Premium reader ...
The problem here is that not even .kfx books do whole-paragraph greyness optimization (as, say, TeX does), and the first, second, and third lines have no hyphenatable words, so there's nothing the Kindle can do. Because, despite years of complaining, it's still got a layout engine orders of magnitude worse than did software which was written for machines with a millionth of the power and memory in the late 70s. Sigh.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #66
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

Look at the spaces between words in the first and second line of the first paragraph and the two last lines on page.

Premium reader ...
Some books do not have the 'enhanced typography' feature. Bring-your-own-books will not, for example.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #67
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyB View Post
It doesn't switch to landscape on mine, just portrait left and right. I haven't found a way to switch off the rotation,---
This is good news (landscape isn't automatic) because I was worried about reading lying down on my side.

The voice-folder makes me hope for a future audio-enabled cover, if there's no Bluetooth in the Oasis itself (hey - a girl mush have hope!)

Last edited by June; 04-27-2016 at 04:25 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #68
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Premium reader ...
What word would you hyphenate?

I don't really see any noticeable spaces. I saw a couple of very small gaps. But it wasn't like massive ______ spaces.
I also noticed that she was not on the default font but a larger font.
Can someone please screenshot the default or smaller font?

For those that see spaces, please note that the larger the font the larger the spaces.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #69
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I've read comments from people who've seen all the covers that the brown cover, unlike the others, does have a suede-like feel. One person said that it seemed likely to show every little scuff. That won't bother me as I kind of like things that look like they've had a long and interesting life.
The brown seems awesome, especially if it wears a bit over time ... looking like it´s been on amazing adventures. The Guardian noted in their review "Brown leather cover is sumptuous to hold and touch – found myself wanting to carry it around when not in use because it feels so nice "

It was actually my first instinct, but I think the Merlot I ended up ordering looks awesome too, but a completely different style.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #70
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What word would you hyphenate?

I don't really see any noticeable spaces. I saw a couple of very small gaps. But it wasn't like massive ______ spaces.
I also noticed that she was not on the default font but a larger font.
Can someone please screenshot the default or smaller font?

For those that see spaces, please note that the larger the font the larger the spaces.
It's precisely because the hyphenation is completely missing that you have those spaces.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #71
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
The brown seems awesome, especially if it wears a bit over time ... looking like it´s been on amazing adventures. The Guardian noted in their review "Brown leather cover is sumptuous to hold and touch – found myself wanting to carry it around when not in use because it feels so nice "

It was actually my first instinct, but I think the Merlot I ended up ordering looks awesome too, but a completely different style.
I was thinking the same thing, but I just watched a Chinese youtube video that showed every flick of the finger putting a significant mark on the brown cover. Seemed a little too prone to marks as opposed to just taking on that aged patina look. I just ordered a Merlot from BestBuy that is supposed to be here Monday so I'll likely cancel my brown order from Amazon.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #72
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but I just watched a Chinese youtube video that showed every flick of the finger putting a significant mark on the brown cover. Seemed a little too prone to marks as opposed to just taking on that aged patina look. I just ordered a Merlot from BestBuy that is supposed to be here Monday so I'll likely cancel my brown order from Amazon.
A suede doesn't really *get* a patina, does it? Only a non-suede does that.

PS Got a link to that video? I'd like to see more of the brown cover. Oh, and remember: "walnut", not brown. If you search in amazon, you don't find it when you say "Kindle Oasis Brown".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #73
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
A suede doesn't really *get* a patina, does it? Only a non-suede does that.

PS Got a link to that video? I'd like to see more of the brown cover. Oh, and remember: "walnut", not brown. If you search in amazon, you don't find it when you say "Kindle Oasis Brown".
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyFGLtepzk

The "scratch test" is just a bit past the one minute mark.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyFGLtepzk

The "scratch test" is just a bit past the one minute mark.
Interesting scratches. Yep looks like suede.
Now if he will run his finger the other direction, those long scratches he made will disappear. But as to the rest of the case, it looked pretty beat up already.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #75
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
I don't know why they chose different finishes for different colors. Merlot doesn't seem to look suede-ish.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote