Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #376
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I preordered a PW 3G at about 4 p.m. EDT yesterday; then cancelled it and ordered a PW Wifi at around 6 p.m.; my estimated shipping time went from 10/3 to 10/11.
I guess I lucked out, then.

Or maybe Mr. Bezos just likes me better.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #377
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopelo View Post
I would a Paperwhite non touch . I prefer buttons to turn the page.

Start a petition! Non touch is better than touch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hmmm... that depends on what you're touching
I don't even know what that means.
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #378
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celemark View Post
Does it look like it will be possible to turn the page by doing a short swipe with your thumb or would you need to swipe across a wider section of the screen? I really like the lighted screen, but I've never used an ereader that didn't have physical page turn buttons so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use with one hand.
It's possible; I do it all the time, but I ain't gonna' lie to ya': one-handed page turns are easier on a K-3.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #379
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

That's what I'm thinking of, but have not actually placed my order yet...finding it a bit hard since my 505 is still functional as is my K2.
Do what I did: accidentally drop your K-2 on a linoleum-covered concrete floor. That's what did mine in. It should also work for your Sony 505 as well; if not you may try accidentally slinging that one across a parking lot while trying to catch it when it slips out of your hands. But I can't guarantee that method, as the K-2 came through that maneuver as well as a drop on a bare concrete floor with flying colors. It must be something about the linoleum—perhaps it gave it that one extra bounce necessary to finish it off. Mainly just practice the art of being clumsy as I have and you should find yourself with an excuse to take the plunge in no time.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #380
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Okay, so I'm still confused, or maybe just have not found an explanation that satisfies me, but IS this a NEW style e-ink display with improved contrast or is the "whiteness" only due to the light?
The screen has 25% better contrast, probably not something you'd notice without a side by side comparison. On the verge video, the reporter says without the light the new and old touch look about same, as far as grayness of the background is concerned.

So it's the light, mostly.

The additional light diffuse and touch layer probably reduces the clarity and contrast a bit, but I am sure it's more than made up for by the light, improved contrast, and higher resolution.

I expect people with leave the light on all the time, except when outdoor. At night you'll probably still want some external light to provide ambient lighting. Using only the kindle light in the dark will probably make your pupil dilate too much.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #381
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The screen has 25% better contrast, probably not something you'd notice without a side by side comparison. On the verge video, the reporter says without the light the new and old touch look about same, as far as grayness of the background is concerned.

So it's the light, mostly.

The additional light diffuse and touch layer probably reduces the clarity and contrast a bit, but I am sure it's more than made up for by the light, improved contrast, and higher resolution.

I expect people with leave the light on all the time, except when outdoor. At night you'll probably still want some external light to provide ambient lighting. Using only the kindle light in the dark will probably make your pupil dilate too much.

Thanks, I'd be using it primarily outdoors as I use my Kindle Fire mostly indoors...sometimes the sony or k2
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #382
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
someone posted this link in one of the other threads. It looks to me that with the backlight off, contrast and sharpness are still better on the Paperwhite than the Kindle Touch.

My guess is that if you are in a brightly lit room you could of course turn the light off...but if you wanted it on, Amazon is saying that strong light is better than weak light.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...ctures#3746597
I wonder how accurate that picture is? The font on my Touch seems sharper than the font on the Touch in that picture. I notice also that in that photograph the Touch is slightly closer to the camera than the Paperwhite. Could the photographer have simply focused in on the Paperwhite's screen to the detriment of the Touch's screen?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #383
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It's possible; I do it all the time, but I ain't gonna' lie to ya': one-handed page turns are easier on a K-3.
The way I'm reading it, a "swipe" isn't even necessary. Just a tap. Of course it could be all marketing hype/lingo, but Amazon is advertising the Paperwhite as a one-handed reading device.
Quote:
Read with One Hand

Lighter and thinner than a paperback, you can comfortably hold Kindle Paperwhite in either hand for long reading sessions without fatigue or discomfort.
Quote:
Fast, Easy Page Turns

EasyReach tap zones on Kindle Paperwhite's responsive touchscreen let you tap lightly to turn pages. No need to swipe or use two hands for fast, seamless page turns.
I hope there's at least some truth to the "easy, one-handed" page-turning/reading. Because for the first time since buying my K2, I'm sorely tempted to upgrade ... but the idea of losing my page-turn buttons terrifies me—I'm not too proud to admit it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #384
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The way I'm reading it, a "swipe" isn't even necessary. Just a tap. Of course it could be all marketing hype/lingo, but Amazon is advertising the Paperwhite as a one-handed reading device.

Quote:
Read with One Hand

Lighter and thinner than a paperback, you can comfortably hold Kindle Paperwhite in either hand for long reading sessions without fatigue or discomfort.
Quote:
Fast, Easy Page Turns

EasyReach tap zones on Kindle Paperwhite's responsive touchscreen let you tap lightly to turn pages. No need to swipe or use two hands for fast, seamless page turns.
I hope there's at least some truth to the "easy, one-handed" page-turning/reading. Because for the first time since buying my K2, I'm sorely tempted to upgrade ... but the idea of losing my page-turn buttons terrifies me—I'm not too proud to admit it.
I hope the tap zones are a bit better on the PW than they are on the Touch. We'll find out in October.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #385
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I hope the tap zones are a bit better on the PW than they are on the Touch. We'll find out in October.
I think I'll just wait on the early reports. But if easy, one-handed page turning (with either hand) is a reality with a slight "press" of the thumb (no swiping motion necessary), I might be taking the plunge. Probably not without hands-on experience, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #386
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The tap zones are perfect on the touch. It's just that the ir sensors arent always great at sensing your touch. The capacitive screen on the kpw will fix that.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #387
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I wonder how accurate that picture is? The font on my Touch seems sharper than the font on the Touch in that picture. I notice also that in that photograph the Touch is slightly closer to the camera than the Paperwhite. Could the photographer have simply focused in on the Paperwhite's screen to the detriment of the Touch's screen?
To my eyes, the background and contrast look about the same. The text on the pw is sharper, definitely.

I'm glad they went back to a black bevel. I don't like the brown/ grey.

ETA: I notice the instruction on the screen says use highest setting for bright room, lowest for dim room. This suggests to me that Amazon's research shows the light is used best not as a supplement or substitute for external light, but to equalize the brightness of the screen and ambient light. In other words, they found a way to overcome one of two biggest flaws of e ink screen -- the grey background (the other being slow refresh).

Last edited by Barty; 09-09-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #388
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Bezos said in his keynote "you're going to like the light so much, you'll want to keep it on all the time." He used that as a segue into the great battery life (with the light on), but it's still worrisome to me. If Amazon thinks that people will use it with the light on at all times, maybe they don't care what the screen looks like when the light is off. I guess we will have to wait and see.
I think he's spot on. I've been reading on my iPad more because I prefer being in low light rooms, but want my reading surface to be brighter. Even with a reading lamp, it never seems to be as good as a small reading light or self illuminating ereader. We just bought a new house last year and two things on my wish list was a north facing back yard, so that the patio area stays in the shade, and a large covered patio, so that I could sit outside and read. When I'm sitting on the patio, I have about 10ft. of patio roof in front of me, but across the yard is a white fence reflecting all of the tropical sunshine back at me. So, I'm already reading in a lot of shade, but when I glance up, my eyes have to adjust for the brightness of the fence. When I look back at what I'm reading, if it isn't illuminated, I just see spots. A brightly lit eink reader would be perfect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2704.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	949.5 KB
ID:	92096  
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #389
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Time for Amazon to branch out into a new market. For a whiter, brighter smile; use the all new Kindle Paste, now with Paperwhite

LMAO!! I think you might be on to something!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #390
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Isn't this thread about the Paperwhite?
Released Oct 1. Or am I confused more than normally?
I think maybe he means Wifi or 3G Paperwhite.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote