Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Looks like the thing is stuck somewhere in Germany. No tracking updates since Friday the 26th.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
maikoldi
maikoldi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 (ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
Looks like the thing is stuck somewhere in Germany. No tracking updates since Friday the 26th.
Same problem here, cant track my order on the dhl homepage.
maikoldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #18
GGMerlin
GGMerlin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Why buy a M92

Could somebody tell me why we should buy this stuff which seems totally immature rather then wait for the Fire HD+?
GGMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Er, sure, but only if you first tell me why you are hijacking my innocent little thread about my ordering a particular device, to crab about said device?

Deal?

I've ordered the damned thing. I've got plenty of buyer's remorse and self-questioning built in, thanks -- I don't require any more.

/Glenn
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
GGMerlin

It was just an innocent question. You've just bought one, I assumed you had thought this thing through. The chinese company, the various distributors, some looking fly by night, the software bugs, the pricing and the software updates all over the places, etc.
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGMerlin View Post
It was just an innocent question. You've just bought one, I assumed you had thought this thing through.
"Innocent." Hmm. The way it was asked was both aggressive and implicitly condemning (a la "so why did you idiots order this crummy device?"). If you didn't intend it that way, okay, but that is how it came across to me. I reference the phrases "this stuff" and "totally immature."

You seem to have made up your mind about the product -- so why are you asking me to justify MY decision? Why do you care what my thought process (if any) about the M92 was, if you know you don't want one?

Curiously,

/Glenn
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
maikoldi
maikoldi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 (ordered)
hi!,
i chose the m92 because its an e-ink device and the screen is bigger then others and the software seems to be ok (compared too other ereader)
maikoldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
ExH
E x H
ExH began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hi GGMerlin,

I finally decided to order an M92 for the following reasons:
  • Large screen size (I'm looking to read full-page, two-column academic papers often with many pictures and graphs)
  • Its unofficial rating as the best ereader on the market for PDF reading and annotating
  • E-ink screen: much easier on the eyes for long-term reading, and also improves battery life
  • The fact that while the firmware may not yet be perfect, it is actively and rapidly being improved based on users' feedback and requests.
The distributor I ordered from, who goes as Booxtor on these forums, maintains a very active and helpful presence here and appears to also be a primary developer. Since the hardware for this device seems quite solid, I'm not worried about the firmware. As I understand it, It's functional enough as-is and is only getting better.
ExH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
GGMerlin

May be it was a bit challenging, not really agressive. In fact I almost bought one of this stuff (same reason as maikoldi), but relented. I am not a nerd and I need something that works out of the box without having to tamper with the software or things like that. Also it seems that customer service is down to one guy's goodwill but the stuff is the price of a TV set. I also almost bought a kindle DX, but Amazon was faster than I. Now I am thinking that the new Fire HD + could do the trick with a 8,9" screen. At a lower price.

So I am curious. And challenging, may be.

I rest my case. Relax.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
I rest my case. Relax.
Well, you have a point there: I have been dealing with two very sick cats for a couple of weeks, and trying to put together a poster for a conference and ... I am rather keyed up and probably a bit hypersensitive.

Have a good weekend.

/G
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
I also almost bought a kindle DX, but Amazon was faster than I. Now I am thinking that the new Fire HD + could do the trick with a 8,9" screen. At a lower price.
It depends on your needs. I had possibility to get Kindle DX for free. I found it absolutely unsatisfactory and bought M92 (almost a year ago).

To tell the truth, I like M92. It was +-OK even when it hit the shelves and now it is much better. I would not touch Kindle DX even if I was paid for that.

But different people, different needs...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #27
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
I would not touch Kindle DX even if I was paid for that.
Well, yeah. Amazon has received far too much of my money. And their labor practices ... brrrr. I'd rather shop elsewhere.

But the Nexus 10, now ...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
Well, yeah. Amazon has received far too much of my money. And their labor practices ... brrrr. I'd rather shop elsewhere.

But the Nexus 10, now ...
You are kidding, right? You actually think that a local Chinese company follows better labor practices than Amazon demands from their suppliers? With Amazon's suppliers being constantly in the spotlight and Onyx running completely under the radar? A pretty good guess (from someone who knows) is that the workers working for Amazon take home 30-50% more per month and work 20 hours less per week than those working for Onyx.

And where do you think the Nexus 10 is being produced, if not in the same places they make the Fire HD?

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-02-2012 at 10:02 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Could somebody tell me why we should buy this stuff which seems totally immature rather then wait for the Fire HD+?
Unfortunately the Fire HD doesn't have an e-ink screen, so it really isn't an option.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #30
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A pretty good guess (from someone who knows) is that the workers working for Amazon take home 30-50% more per month and work 20 hours less per week than those working for Onyx.
And get x times more for their work.

But trully said, where are Amazon readers produced? I doubt it is US.

And also comparison has to be made localy not internationaly. Compare what practices are common and un-common within certain country or region. Otherwise I would have to hang myself on the 1st tree, as beeing the mass distant slaverman.

But, we are rather offtopic.....

Last edited by Mono; 11-03-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote