Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #331
cwspen
cwspen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I really think the Kobo was improved, but not enough for me to want to buy one. I also love having the better ebook selection too. I just bought the nook touch while in the US last weekend.

Just remember to check the 'same as shipping' address box when adding your fake US address to your B&N account.
Oh, the Kobo Touch has improved a lot, no doubt. However, I NEED buttons so that I can easily change pages with my left hand. I have a Touch now, and I'll be returning it once my Nook STR arrives. i often read in bed on my side, and I'll change from one side to another so the "omni-handed" buttons are a god-send. Was hesitant on the Nook STR, but ran into someone in CVG last night that had one that I could play with. Aside from left hand holding, buttons are nice to have just to prevent unnecessary screen touches.

Book selection is really a non-issue. Everything is purchased on my Mac, and de-DRM'd so that if I change platforms in the future (Kindle to Kobo to Nook) all my purchases still work. I buy online from the cheapest store, and remove DRM. Convert as required with Calibre, and have a library that works with any device now, or in the future. Don't want to be stuck with one store!

I still really like the style / design of the PRS-505. Wish they had an updated 505 at a Kobo price!
cwspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #332
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwspen View Post
Oh, the Kobo Touch has improved a lot, no doubt. However, I NEED buttons so that I can easily change pages with my left hand. I have a Touch now, and I'll be returning it once my Nook STR arrives. i often read in bed on my side, and I'll change from one side to another so the "omni-handed" buttons are a god-send. Was hesitant on the Nook STR, but ran into someone in CVG last night that had one that I could play with. Aside from left hand holding, buttons are nice to have just to prevent unnecessary screen touches.

Book selection is really a non-issue. Everything is purchased on my Mac, and de-DRM'd so that if I change platforms in the future (Kindle to Kobo to Nook) all my purchases still work. I buy online from the cheapest store, and remove DRM. Convert as required with Calibre, and have a library that works with any device now, or in the future. Don't want to be stuck with one store!

I still really like the style / design of the PRS-505. Wish they had an updated 505 at a Kobo price!
Book selection for most people is an issue drm or no drm. Unless you are using a US proxy (or in some cases a US address on your account) you are not getting a very good selection IMHO.

I only strip my Amazon books, but maybe i should srip them all...
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #333
camerontai
camerontai began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK str
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You need to register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address (I understand you already have done that). You can use your own non-US credit card (the billing address is not checked).

You cannot use a VPN on the Nook. You need to install the VPN on your PC, and use your PC to buy the books from the B&N website.
There is no IP-address check when downloading books. So when you have bought the books using your PC, the Nook can immediately download them using the Wifi connection (just sync the library on the Nook).
Hi geertm! I finaly recieved my nook touch a couple of days ago. I love it. I already read a book on it. As you told me the only thing i needed to register the device was my email and B&N password. The only downside is that i cant buy any books from the store using my pc. I`ve used hotspotshield in different pc´s but i just couldn´t buy. Anayway, do you now any good ebook store that sells international? On the other hand i read that ebooks bought in sony or kobo stores are nook compatible (epub). Do you know if it´s true?

Thanks geertm.
camerontai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #334
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerontai View Post
Hi geertm! I finaly recieved my nook touch a couple of days ago. I love it. I already read a book on it. As you told me the only thing i needed to register the device was my email and B&N password. The only downside is that i cant buy any books from the store using my pc. I`ve used hotspotshield in different pc´s but i just couldn´t buy. Anayway, do you now any good ebook store that sells international? On the other hand i read that ebooks bought in sony or kobo stores are nook compatible (epub). Do you know if it´s true?

Thanks geertm.
You should be able to buy books from B&N. Make sure that both the shipping and the billing address of your account are a valid US address and if you start Hotspot Shield before buying books this should work.

You can buy books from other ePub stores like Sony and Kobo. Before you do that you first need to install Adobe Digital Editions and to authorize your PC and Nook within ADE.
As a Canadian bookstore Kobo seems to have not as many geographic restrictions as US bookstores (it seems like Canadian publishers are not enforcing geo-restrictions yet).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #335
camerontai

Quote:
You should be able to buy books from B&N. Make sure that both the shipping and the billing address of your account are a valid US address and if you start Hotspot Shield before buying books this should work.

You can buy books from other ePub stores like Sony and Kobo. Before you do that you first need to install Adobe Digital Editions and to authorize your PC and Nook within ADE.
As a Canadian bookstore Kobo seems to have not as many geographic restrictions as US bookstores (it seems like Canadian publishers are not enforcing geo-restrictions yet).
I've taken all the steps you're telling me but still i couldn't buy any book nor magazine. They appear on my B&N library but don't have the download option, just the "move to archive" one. In my nook this translates as in apparently having the book but not being able to open it. Do you think the problem might be because of my VISA although international, was given to me in a Argentina? I was also was considering the problem might be that before i got my nook i registered my B&N account WITHOUT using a VPN connection and now somehow they know i'm not in the US despite using VPN. If that were the case i was thinking about de-registering my nook and B&N account and make new ones, this time using hotspotshield since the begining of the process. I'll appreciate if you tell me what you think.

Last edited by camerontai; 08-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #336
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've taken all the steps you're telling me but still i couldn't buy any book nor magazine. They appear on my B&N library but don't have the download option, just the "move to archive" one. In my nook this translates as in apparently having the book but not being able to open it. Do you think the problem might be because of my VISA although international, was given to me in a Argentina? I was also was considering the problem might be that before i got my nook i registered my B&N account WITHOUT using a VPN connection and now somehow they know i'm not in the US despite using VPN. If that were the case i was thinking about de-registering my nook and B&N account and make new ones, this time using hotspotshield since the begining of the process. I'll appreciate if you tell me what you think.
As long as you have registered your account with an US billing address a non-US credit card should work fine. I do not think how you registered your B&N account does matter.
I assume you understand that you need to buy the books from the B&N website on your PC with the VPN active, not using the shop function of your Nook?

I recently had a problem with my credit card suddenly not being accepted. I finally solved that problem by deregistering my Nook, changing the e-mail address of my account (new gmail address), and registering the Nook again to the new e-mail address. I used the VPN when changing the e-mail address.
I have no idea what caused this problem. And I do not know if changing the e-mail address was really necessary. Perhaps reregistering the Nook would have been enough.
I have decided to use the VPN every time I login to my B&N account, not just when I am buying books, just in case that was the cause of my problem.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #337
camerontai

Quote:
As long as you have registered your account with an US billing address a non-US credit card should work fine. I do not think how you registered your B&N account does matter.
I assume you understand that you need to buy the books from the B&N website on your PC with the VPN active, not using the shop function of your Nook?

I recently had a problem with my credit card suddenly not being accepted. I finally solved that problem by deregistering my Nook, changing the e-mail address of my account (new gmail address), and registering the Nook again to the new e-mail address. I used the VPN when changing the e-mail address.
I have no idea what caused this problem. And I do not know if changing the e-mail address was really necessary. Perhaps reregistering the Nook would have been enough.
I have decided to use the VPN every time I login to my B&N account, not just when I am buying books, just in case that was the cause of my problem.
I`m going to do as you did: de-register my nook and then create a new account (new email,billing and shipping address. Same name and credit card tough). Do you think it`s worth to pay for a vpn connection like ALWAYSVPN? I read the post where you explain that due to problems in buying books you changed alwaysvpn for HOTSPOTSHIELD. Since you`ve used both sevices i would like to know your opinion in that matter.

Pato
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #338
geertm
Guru

Quote:
I`m going to do as you did: de-register my nook and then create a new account (new email,billing and shipping address. Same name and credit card tough). Do you think it`s worth to pay for a vpn connection like ALWAYSVPN? I read the post where you explain that due to problems in buying books you changed alwaysvpn for HOTSPOTSHIELD. Since you`ve used both sevices i would like to know your opinion in that matter.

Pato
You do not have to create a completely new account. After deregistering your Nook you can login to your B&N account and change the e-mail address of your existing account.

I still use alwaysVPN. I just used Hotspot Shield as a test.
With Hotspot Shield you get a browser window with advertising that you need to keep open when connected.
AlwaysVPN just puts an icon in your system tray that you click to connect. And has the advantage that you not have to pay an monthly subscription, but just one payment of $8.50 for an amount of data. Most VPN's ask $10 to $15 a month.

Another interesting VPN is HideMyAss Pro VPN. If you buy a 1 year subscription it costs only about $6.50 a month. They have servers in a lot of countries, and every time you connect you can choose which country you want to use. So you can also use it for example to get an UK IP-addres for UK bookstores. And there is no data limit, so you could also stream video etc..

The reason I have bought an subscription for this VPN is that I have recently bought a router that is compatible with the DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) router firmware (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router). On the HideMyAss Pro VPN website there is a guide how to install the VPN in the DD-WRT software. That way the VPN is installed in the router, and all devices connected to the router should be able to connect to the Internet with an VPN IP-address.
That way I would be able to buy things on the Nook itself.
I have not yet have time to try this.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #339
camerontai

Quote:
You do not have to create a completely new account. After deregistering your Nook you can login to your B&N account and change the e-mail address of your existing account.

I still use alwaysVPN. I just used Hotspot Shield as a test.
With Hotspot Shield you get a browser window with advertising that you need to keep open when connected.
AlwaysVPN just puts an icon in your system tray that you click to connect. And has the advantage that you not have to pay an monthly subscription, but just one payment of $8.50 for an amount of data. Most VPN's ask $10 to $15 a month.

Another interesting VPN is HideMyAss Pro VPN. If you buy a 1 year subscription it costs only about $6.50 a month. They have servers in a lot of countries, and every time you connect you can choose which country you want to use. So you can also use it for example to get an UK IP-addres for UK bookstores. And there is no data limit, so you could also stream video etc..

The reason I have bought an subscription for this VPN is that I have recently bought a router that is compatible with the DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com) router firmware (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router). On the HideMyAss Pro VPN website there is a guide how to install the VPN in the DD-WRT software. That way the VPN is installed in the router, and all devices connected to the router should be able to connect to the Internet with an VPN IP-address.
That way I would be able to buy things on the Nook itself.
I have not yet have time to try this.
Thanks for your thorough explanation. Ill do as i told you. I will also subscipt to always vpn. I`ll do all this as soon i get my new pc in a couple of weeks.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Pato
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #340
camerontai

Quote:

Good news. I solved my problem. The answer for the matter was more simple than i thought: there was a problem on my credit card. B&N never asked for my 3 digit credit card code. So, i fixed that. Anyway thank you very much for your assistance.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #341
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Good news. I solved my problem. The answer for the matter was more simple than i thought: there was a problem on my credit card. B&N never asked for my 3 digit credit card code. So, i fixed that. Anyway thank you very much for your assistance.
I am glad you got it all working!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #342
DeborahC
DeborahC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Colour
Yes, Wifi works everywhere, even overseas.
DeborahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #343
DeborahC
DeborahC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Colour
Hate to tell you, but you cannot purchase anything from B&N for the Nook from overseas. I have a US address, a US credit card, and have tons of store credit loaded onto my account, and I can't purchase ANYTHING from B&N because I am in New Zealand. Apparently they must be able to tell from my IP address that I am currently overseas. I have tried to purchase books and apps, and everything has been cancelled. B&N have not replied to my email saying I live both in USA and New Zealand. I'm really ticked off about this as I purchased the Nook Colour in-store at B&N in Orange, California, as it was highly rated in Consumer Reports. No one said that it wouldn't do me any good overseas!
DeborahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #344
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahC View Post
Hate to tell you, but you cannot purchase anything from B&N for the Nook from overseas. I have a US address, a US credit card, and have tons of store credit loaded onto my account, and I can't purchase ANYTHING from B&N because I am in New Zealand. Apparently they must be able to tell from my IP address that I am currently overseas. I have tried to purchase books and apps, and everything has been cancelled. B&N have not replied to my email saying I live both in USA and New Zealand. I'm really ticked off about this as I purchased the Nook Colour in-store at B&N in Orange, California, as it was highly rated in Consumer Reports. No one said that it wouldn't do me any good overseas!
Unfortunately, it's only possible to purchase via a VPN roundabout. You can ask someone in the US to do it for you if it's easier, since downloads are not dependent on the country, just at point of purchase.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #345
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahC View Post
Just install a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwayVPN ($8.50) on your PC to get an US IP-address. That way you can use your PC to by books, newspapers, magazines and apps from the B&N website.
If your NC has a Wifi connection, just sync your libary to download the things you have bought to your NC.

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas