Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
starapple
starapple began at the beginning.

Device: none
Making a cover

Greetings. Are there any guidelines on making/designing a book cover using Sigil that displays properly?
starapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by starapple View Post
Greetings. Are there any guidelines on making/designing a book cover using Sigil that displays properly?
Define "Properly"
On what? , When?
Some devices have special (non-standard) rules that need to be followed to get covers to appear in "book-shelve" type browsers

Most covers I have are JPG files, under 600x800px (the screen size on my e-ink based reader), embedded by Calibre or the publisher as the first page.
I suggest that you simply examine what was done (on one you think is "properly done") and borrow heavily from the style and code.

If you are wanting ti "Create" your own Artwork for a cover, A Graphisc program like:Gimp, Paintshop Pro... might do to create the original JPG.

M
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Ephraim
Enthusiast
Ephraim began at the beginning.

Device: ibooks
Yeah...How do you make a front cover and back cover completely cover the screen for an iphone? Mine always is centered in the middle of the page with too much extra wasted white space around the edges. Anything that can solve the problem? Thanks!
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
starapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Define "Properly"
On what? , When?
Some devices have special (non-standard) rules that need to be followed to get covers to appear in "book-shelve" type browsers

Most covers I have are JPG files, under 600x800px (the screen size on my e-ink based reader), embedded by Calibre or the publisher as the first page.
I suggest that you simply examine what was done (on one you think is "properly done") and borrow heavily from the style and code.

If you are wanting ti "Create" your own Artwork for a cover, A Graphisc program like:Gimp, Paintshop Pro... might do to create the original JPG.

M
Thanks for your reply. I have been trying to get a hold of an ebook to see whether there was a cover image to go by. I don't have a reader but I do have Calibre and Anthimeon eCub (that has a cover editor but no guideline), which I'd been using to format a book. But I reverted to Sigil for the fully justified pages and other professional elements.

I've since posting done a 6"x9" cover at 72 dpi in Gimp and it outputs at 432 x 648 px and a nice 100 kb. I'll try it in the Kindle emulator and see.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
starapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Yeah...How do you make a front cover and back cover completely cover the screen for an iphone? Mine always is centered in the middle of the page with too much extra wasted white space around the edges. Anything that can solve the problem? Thanks!
The iPhone emulation of my 432 x 648 px image on the Kindle Previewer is centered and gives me a white border but one I could live with. Maybe a 10 per cent increase in the dimensions could reduce the border further.
Advert