Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Cerepol
Cerepol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Adding Series and Number to Title.

Is there a way to do this? As I like keeping it organized in the calibre library by using the series option, but when sent to my kindle it doesn't show up. Now it's not usually a problem, it does get annoying when I send a large series like 15+ books and I'm not sure of the order of said books.
Cerepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is no problem to change how the files sent to the device are named. You can easily add the series name and series index to the filename. So if you can browse your device using folders and filenames, it is easily fixed.

Go to Preferences | Add/Save | Sending to device and modify the Save template.

The only problem is that you can only have one Save template active. And if you use a Save template with the series index, and the book doesn't belong to a series, then a ugly 0 sneaks into the name.

This is the template I use when sending books, belonging to a series, to my device:

{author_sort[0]}/{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} {title} - {authors}

It would be nice to be able to have two different templates, one for books belonging to a series, and one for book that are not part of a series. Or if {series_index} was empty if the book doesn't belog to a series. (I just registered a ticket regarding this...)

Last edited by Adoby; 08-05-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
The only problem is that you can only have one Save template active. And if you use a Save template with the series index, and the book doesn't belong to a series, then a ugly 0 sneaks into the name.

This is the template I use when sending books, belonging to a series, to my device:

{author_sort[0]}/{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} {title} - {authors}

It would be nice to be able to have two different templates, one for books belonging to a series, and one for book that are not part of a series. Or if {series_index} was empty if the book doesn't belog to a series. (I just registered a ticket regarding this...)
In the meantime, you could compromise by trying this (or a variation) as a template which should handle both cases:-
Code:
{author_sort[0]}/{author_sort}/{series} {series_index:>2s} {title} - {authors}
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Cerepol
Cerepol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
thanks a lot thats exactly what I was looking for.
Cerepol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
PCreighton
Enthusiast
PCreighton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Kindle WIFI 6";IPAD 2
I have tried this it saves the file nice, and in this format in the kindle hard drive. When I go to home on kindle the title does not show the series and series number, only the title name. Only thing that seems to work is if I change the actual title and add the series and series number to the title then send to my kindle (this is a lot of work). Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by PCreighton; 08-29-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add what is working for me.
PCreighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCreighton View Post
I have tried this it saves the file nice, and in this format in the kindle hard drive. When I go to home on kindle the title does not show the series and series number, only the title name. Only thing that seems to work is if I change the actual title and add the series and series number to the title then send to my kindle (this is a lot of work). Any help greatly appreciated.
I suspect this is a Kindle-related problem, more than a Calibre-related. I don't know what information Kindle displays. But it seems that it isn't the filename.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Quote:
When I go to home on kindle the title does not show the series and series number, only the title name. Only thing that seems to work is if I change the actual title and add the series and series number to the title then send to my kindle (this is a lot of work). Any help greatly appreciated.
I suspect this is a Kindle-related problem, more than a Calibre-related. I don't know what information Kindle displays. But it seems that it isn't the filename.
It isn't a Kindle problem it's a Kindle feature. Like most ereaders Kindle displays the title that is listed in the metadata and not the file name. Currently there is no template that will insert the series and index into the metadata title.

@PCreighton either of the following 2 options might help

1. Create a catalog of all of your books by using the drop down arrow to the right of the convert books icon. Keep this mobi on your device and refer to the order whenever you have doubts.

2. Convert each book with the Insert metadata as page at start of book checked under Preferences - Conversion - Structure detection. This will insert a book jacket like the attached as the first page past the cover in your book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	57367  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Another way could be to change the title metadata to include the series information.

One way of doing this could be to save the books to disk, with the series information along with the title. And then read the book back, and read the title and series informations together as the title.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
PCreighton
Enthusiast

Thank you dwanthny & Adoby for your suggestions. I will try the Catalog first however have never used Catalog on Kindle, if that does not work I believe from your suggestions the one that will likely work the nicest is Adoby - however it is also the most work. I have not tried save the books to disk and reimport so will try that. I may try the Catalog first however have never used Catalog on Kindle. The first page suggestion would require me to open the book before I could find the series and in large series this could take some time.
Once again thank you for the suggestions and quick replys.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will try the Catalog first however have never used Catalog on Kindle
The catalog was created by GRiker because when using his kindle he saw a need for this feature. Check out the catalog sticky thread for more info, the first post has all of the details and tips.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
PCreighton
Enthusiast

Hi problem on import back in it is seperating title from series - saved to disk correctly, deleted original from Calibre and Add back in and get series seperated even though on test preferences it works. see attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Help Calibre.gif
Views:	967
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	57430  
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Adoby
Handy Elephant

You also need to activate the option "Read metadata only from file name."
Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hi problem on import back in it is seperating title from series - saved to disk correctly, deleted original from Calibre and Add back in and get series seperated even though on test preferences it works. see attached pics.
Read metadata only from file name has to be checked when you re-add the book or it will grab the info from the metadata inside the book.

Update: Darn you Adoby, foiled again. I blame my old eyes and the low resolution image previously attached.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
PCreighton
Enthusiast

okay maybe I am getting tired I removed all the checks except Read metadata only from file name and it still seperated the two. Only way I seem to get into the Title is if I manually type it in.
P.S. I tried the catalog as well, it is nice however will need to keep going back to catalog to find next book in series. Any way to have catalog just list book and series and not the tags and book summary?
Thanks guys, It is getting late must get to bed so I can work tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Another Catalog option for your consideration. You could use the Catalog feature to produce the catalog in CSV format with just the fields you are interested in. Then you can load the CSV into your favourite spreadsheet prog, manipulate as required, then create a small TXT file with only the relevant info. This would be smaller and faster to access and could also be copied to your reader.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote