Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
New (Mac) 505 user

Finally took the plunge and bought a Red 505 today. So far, absolutely love it, but I am a Mac user and the lack of Sony support for Mac users is more than irritating!

Three noob questions...

Two I have tried to find out, but haven't been able to get exact answers:

- Should I just switch to calibre? The Sony software is OK, but switching to emulation is no fun, and calibre seems pretty feature rich. I will be buying epubs with DRM, but from what I've read calibre will transfer the files now I have given my reader an ADE authorisation. Is this true?

- Are there any issues with using two machines? I travel a lot, and want to grab the odd new title on my MBA and transfer it straight onto the Reader. Will I have conflict problems when I get home to the main machine, the iMac? I got a load of weird low res cover thumbnails tonight testing it using the Sony software, but they were easily deleted. My test DRM purchase seemed to survive just fine.

And one that may be on the forums, but I've been too busy with all the other research to check out:

- Which Sony e-mail address / web site do I use to spam them with SUPPORT MAC OS X NOW!!! ?

This forum has been hugely helpful in making me commit to a purchase I was struggling with. Thanks already, and thanks in advance for looking at my dumb questions!

A
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
- Should I just switch to calibre? The Sony software is OK, but switching to emulation is no fun, and calibre seems pretty feature rich. I will be buying epubs with DRM, but from what I've read calibre will transfer the files now I have given my reader an ADE authorisation. Is this true?
Calibre isn't much help if you have DRM on your files. You might as well just use Finder. I would recommend finding mobidedrm and buying mobipocket format instead.

But yes, now that you have your Sony authorized you can run ADE on the Mac and buy/download from the Mac. However, ADE will not recognize your reader so you will still need to use Finder to copy your purchased ebooks to your Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
- Are there any issues with using two machines? I travel a lot, and want to grab the odd new title on my MBA and transfer it straight onto the Reader.
No, shouldn't be a problem.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Fellow Mac user here. I use Calibre as my default application and have been very happy with it. I only get in to the Connect Store app when I absolutely can't find a book anywhere else. It really depends on where you get your content from.

At the very least, you should download Calibre and give it a good playing with. There are lots of lovely features that, at the very least, are handy to have hidden away in you applications folder just in case.

Sony Connect email support link:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/contact-email.pl
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote