valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Help! Sony and Adobe digital editions

I am trying to get some library books I rented online via Adobe digital
editions to load on to my prs505.

I installed adobe, got a adobe ID, authorized the PC and I can read the
books on my computer.

I have installed the latest firmware for the prs505.

I then connect the 505 to my computer and windows sees it
and attaches the device and the Sony ereader software can see the unit....

Adobe digital editions never sees the unit, never offers to let me
authorize it on my adobe account and never shows up as a bookself.

I have the same problem on 2 different PC computers both running
XP. Does anyone have any ideas? I tried this on 2 computers and I simply
can't get DE to see the reader!

Thanks for your help
Valky
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Make sure you installed the latest eBook Library software from Sony. It includes a DLL which ADE uses to communicate with the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
stacis16
stacis16 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505
I am having the same problem as Valky, and I have updated the firmware on my reader as well as my library software. I just checked, and my version of the eBook Library is 2.200.18100.

I also am sure I have the latest firmware update for my reader since I have deleted books from it.

Now, I did have to do the special way of loading the eBook library software using the special way of going to the command prompt since I run Vista 64 bit.

I have also loaded Adobe DE, and tried multiple things to get it to recognize my reader -- open Adobe DE after my reader is on and plugged into my PC, plug my Reader in after I open Adobe DE, etc. Nothing.....

Anybody have any other suggestions?
stacis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

See here (second part of the post).
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
stacis16

I uninstalled Adobe DE, updated my registry based on the instructions, then reinstalled DE, but it still doesn't recognize my reader. I tried it with my reader plugged in then opening DE, and opening DE and then plugging in my reader, both times making sure my reader was turned on.

This is strange since I have absolutely no problems with the Ebook library or Calibre, so I know my PC sees my reader. But not Adobe DE.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
igorsk
Wizard

The registry setting should work... check the path once again and that you have PIM.dll there. And you shouldn't need to reinstall DE, just restart it.
Maybe check with regedit that it actually was set.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
stacis16

Smile

Well, I think it gets a little more interesting . I do have Pim.dll in the same folder that is listed in the registry. So, I after trying this again, my reader still isn't recognized. However, I can now see the books in my eBook Library without getting the "computer not authorized" message. I was also able to successfully copy the books to my Reader using the eBook Library. The books that I copied are from Adobe's sample eBook library -- one is a PDF and the other is listed as ePub.

Anyway, I hate loose ends, so I am really wondering why my Reader isn't recognized by Adobe DE, but at least now I can access the books without having to sit in front of my PC. So, now the answer is more to satisfy my curiosity versus stubbornly having to find a solution.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
ChrisW
New to eBooks
ChrisW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacis16 View Post
Anyway, I hate loose ends, so I am really wondering why my Reader isn't recognized by Adobe DE. So, now the answer is more to satisfy my curiosity versus stubbornly having to find a solution.
Did you ever find a solution? I too have managed to get the eBook software working in Vista 64 but cannot get Adobe DE to see the Reader and I am getting very frustrated! The registry line PIM_Path C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Reader\Data\Bin\ is there correctly and the PIM.dll is in the right place but nothing happens!
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard

It seems PIM.dll doesn't work properly on x64.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
stacis16

Nope, I never had Adobe DE recognize my reader, but I didn't try terribly hard either. That's because I can still copy and read the Adobe DE books that I grabbed from their site without any problems. Well, I have seen some formatting issues for a couple of them , but no other problems.

I've only tried some of the free sample books, but without any trouble, and I have so much to read anyway, that this just isn't something I've pursued.

I'm a constant optimist anyway -- I figured there will be a fix well before I ever have to worry about it, meaning before I ever get through all of my reading list-- especially with all the great ebook recommendations on this site that I can get from the Sony store or Fictionwise.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
mrpeteyguy
mrpeteyguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Solution!

I think I might have found a way to get Digital Editions to work on Vista x64. I installed the Reader software using the extraction method to Program Files (x86)\Sony. Then, using the very helpful linked solution in post 4 as a guide, I added the registry key that the zip files contains, only I added them using Regedit by myself.

But, instead of putting the registry key in at HKLM\Software\Sony Corporation, I put it in at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation. As soon as I started Adobe Digital Editions, it detected my reader, and I could transfer to it.

I think this is the right spot because of the way Windows x64 provides access to the registry for 32 bit programs.

To put it simply, at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\PRS, I put the following string value:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sony\\Reader\\Data\\bin\\

Hope this helps someone!
mrpeteyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard

Nice trick, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeteyguy View Post
I think I might have found a way to get Digital Editions to work on Vista x64. I installed the Reader software using the extraction method to Program Files (x86)\Sony. Then, using the very helpful linked solution in post 4 as a guide, I added the registry key that the zip files contains, only I added them using Regedit by myself.

But, instead of putting the registry key in at HKLM\Software\Sony Corporation, I put it in at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation. As soon as I started Adobe Digital Editions, it detected my reader, and I could transfer to it.

I think this is the right spot because of the way Windows x64 provides access to the registry for 32 bit programs.

To put it simply, at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Sony Corporation\PRS, I put the following string value:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Sony\\Reader\\Data\\bin\\

Hope this helps someone!
Hmm.. I am surprised that works. If so it makes me think that they "driver" is not really a driver... but just a user mode program. Because a 32-bit driver will NOT work in 64-bit windows.

Also, if this is just a user mode program it shouldn't be to hard for Sony to port it to Mac. Of course, I am sure that is not on their radar. It would be nice if they open sourced that "driver" like they have the reader software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard

It's not a "driver", it's just a DLL.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
It's not a "driver", it's just a DLL.
Know anyone that reverse engineers stuff like this?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote