Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #35431
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about Win8. I'm still running XP, although I've re-installed it several times since I first put the machine together. I've been toying with the idea of changing to Windows 7, which I put on my laptop and haven't yet understood...

Stitchawl
The system has restarted several times, but this time I'm seeing some kind of stylized window rather than the Vista start-up. It may be getting near the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Good Luck!
Thanks, Kenny. My biggest fear is that I'll have problems with my professional sound card, although the pre-installation utility said that should be fine. I'll no doubt need to update some programs and reinstall others.

Will no start menu drive me nuts? Stay tuned!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #35432
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now it's "Getting devices ready."
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #35433
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I just re-watched American Masters - Margaret Mitchell. Wonderful bio!

I'm also wondering if Stitchawl ever sleeps????

I go to sleep between 11:30-12:00 every night, wake up (or should I say, get woken up by the cat) around 6:30-7:00am. Meditate twice a day for 20 minutes, morning and afternoon. My wife insists that this is sleeping...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #35434
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I go to sleep between 11:30-12:00 every night, wake up (or should I say, get woken up by the cat) around 6:30-7:00am. Meditate twice a day for 20 minutes, morning and afternoon. My wife insists that this is sleeping...

Stitchawl
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #35435
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Now I'm being shown an array of pretty colors while my "apps" are being installed. A second ago, I had to set up an account.

Darn this is a time-consuming process.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #35436
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Now I'm being shown an array of pretty colors while my "apps" are being installed. A second ago, I had to set up an account.

Darn this is a time-consuming process.
I haven't done a full windows install in a while (and never win 8) but yes it's very much like Chinese water torture.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #35437
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Got it installed. Had to reinstall Firefox and Norton. The sound isn't working, which is not a big surprise. I'll have to re-install the software to run the sound card and the external dock. It's an E-Mu 1616, Kenny; you may be familiar with them. A nice device but a bear to set up and not a device that makes friends easily with other hardware/software, but it's powerful and very versatile. Looks like I'll have to reinstall just about everything from scratch.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #35438
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you do a clean install, or an upgrade over the previous OS?

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #35439
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Did you do a clean install, or an upgrade over the previous OS?

Stitchawl
I did an upgrade. Should have done a clean install for all the good it did me. None of my programs were saved, but at least my documents and files are fine.

And Creative, who makes the E-Mu 1616m sound card/docking station, doesn't have a driver yet for Windows 8. Those people are slow as snails stuck in molasses.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #35440
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I did an upgrade. Should have done a clean install for all the good it did me. None of my programs were saved, but at least my documents and files are fine.
(
I don't keep ANY files on my C Drive, and anything saved to 'My Documents' get's moved immediately out to an external drive. The only things on my C Drive are the operating system and program files. That way when I screw up something really badly, (which I seem to do with great regularity) and have to flush out the system, I never lose anything important. Just a quick format, re-instal of the OS, and put back the programs. I can copy back the 'Application Data' and don't even need to worry about redoing preferences and settings.

Stitchawl
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #35441
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Oh, I have backups.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #35442
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I have Windows 8 on one of our laptops, and really don't like it. Hope you fare better with it Tom.

Right now I am eating cheese on toast and watching the aftermath of a helicopter crash in central London, and then I'm off to catch a train to...London.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #35443
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Thinking how different my sister and I are. This morning I first slipped and slided my way over to the supermarket and took a shower when I got back. My sister wouldn't be seen dead outside, even if it's to go to the supermarket in a holiday park, without having showered, blowdried and having full make-up on.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #35444
kennyc

Quote:

And Creative, who makes the E-Mu 1616m sound card/docking station, doesn't have a driver yet for Windows 8. Those people are slow as snails stuck in molasses.
Drivers are always the issue with these things. That's why I waited forever to upgrade to 64 bit win7....

Good Luck!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #35445
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For those with a 7" tablet: do you read graphic novels on it and how well can you read those. Reading those is one of the reasons I want to get a tablet, but I'm wondering how they display on a smaller tablet. Other reasons are as a replacement for my notebook for simple surfing and for when I'm housesitting (taking a notebook for just 2 days is too much bother).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?