Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #91
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends on your reading habits. They're pretty much spot on for me. I leave WiFi turned off, have the light on fairly low (normally level 10), and easily get Amazon's claimed 28h of reading time.
See, but that's what gets me.
First, the device is advertised as having WIFI. So what's the point of measuring battery life with WIFI off?
Second - and much more important - 28 hours is NOT 8 weeks. Had they said 30 hours, I would not have had a problem. But attempting to translate that into weeks is, at best, an attempt to obfuscate things. And assuming half an hour of reading per day is certainly going for the low end.
Third, compared to the KT, my PW has substantially shorter battery life. Nothing in Amazon's advertising recognizes that, as far as I recall.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #92
lizard king
lizard king began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Then do an overnight charge and you are good to go.
overnihgt? leaving battery on charging so long, is that save?
lizard king is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #93
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
No problem with current day batteries. When they're full, the charger will switch off or switch to drip charging. It won't overcharge. Except, when you use a grossly flawed charger. However any USB-charger of any phone manufacturer will do nicely. I've charged my Kindle using a Motorola and an LG Nexus charger, my aunt uses her HTC one, and a friend of mine uses a Samsung one. Only difference may be charging speed.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #94
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
When I first got mine it was terrible. It was already 50% charged so as soon as I got it, I charged up to 100%. I noticed over the next couple of days it was depleting at a very fast rate. Could be due to indexing but I only added 2-3 books.

However after a full charge cycle, it seems to be much better. Even with Wifi turned on. I read about 1-2hr a day and it will last about a month.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #95
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The best thing to do when you get your new Kindle is use the charge that is already on it up till you get the Charge your Kindle message. I've always done this with my 4 Kindles and they all have excellent battery life.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #96
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Amazon originally said (as I recall) 2 weeks or 1 month at 1 hour a day; then B&N said 2 months (at 30 min a day, wifi off) so Amazon redid their advertisments to sound more in line with what B&N was advertising.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #97
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep, petty behaviour there by Amazon just to match a competitor. They should just have left it as it was, one month was fine!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
See, but that's what gets me.
First, the device is advertised as having WIFI. So what's the point of measuring battery life with WIFI off?
Second - and much more important - 28 hours is NOT 8 weeks. Had they said 30 hours, I would not have had a problem. But attempting to translate that into weeks is, at best, an attempt to obfuscate things. And assuming half an hour of reading per day is certainly going for the low end.
I keep WiFi off for the simple reason that I have absolutely no use for it. I transfer all my books using USB, and I never use the web browser. Why would I want to have WiFi switched on?

As far as the half an hour a day goes, there's no "assuming" involved. It's what Amazon clearly state in their battery life specification: 8 weeks at half an hour a day; that's 56 x 0.5h = 28h.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #99
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Do they state 8 weeks, or 2 months? In the first case it's 56 days indeed, in the latter case it's aoubt 61-62, making a 2.5-3 hour difference
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #100
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
No one knows how Amazon ran its battery tests. They could have relied on one employee with one unit. They could have run exhaustive tests using statistics on thousands of units.

All of us have different PW units all of which may vary in performance. Plus, all of us use them differently with different settings and different eBooks.

Thus, each of us must rely on their own experience with their own specific unit to gauge battery time over several weeks and then rely on that.

I wouldn't put too much stock in comparing our individual battery performance with the Amazon statement of expected battery time.

With the Kindle Fire there is a standard way of measuring battery time if all participants use the GSam Battery Monitor. Then a reading of the Screen Time value right before a charge combined with the percentage of battery use would be comparable over many units. However, even then the way each of us use our KF and the variety of settings plus the differences in different units would also tend to give a wide range of values.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-05-2013 at 02:51 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #101
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The best thing to do when you get your new Kindle is use the charge that is already on it up till you get the Charge your Kindle message. I've always done this with my 4 Kindles and they all have excellent battery life.
That is actually very bad advise.
All stickers, and manufacturers clearly tell you to charge the battery before use.
Although I don't believe in it much, I do believe in the importance of keeping Li batteries charged up as much as possible.

The manufacturer mainly wants to prevent a depleted battery, which is really bad for Li batteries.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #102
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
No one knows how Amazon ran its battery tests. They could have relied on one employee with one unit. They could have run exhaustive tests using statistics on thousands of units.
You're right. They could have used a person who can't read very well, puts the screen light all the way up, and lettertype very large, requiring him to turn pages many times.
Instead of tapping he might use the 'swipe' method, which uses even more battery on the touch screen.
or they could have used someone who has very sharp eyes, can read the smallest font size, uses no screen light, no wifi, taps instead of swipes, and reads only txt or mobi, instead of PDF's.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
That is actually very bad advise.
All stickers, and manufacturers clearly tell you to charge the battery before use.
Although I don't believe in it much, I do believe in the importance of keeping Li batteries charged up as much as possible.

The manufacturer mainly wants to prevent a depleted battery, which is really bad for Li batteries.
I disagree. I have had Kindles since 2010 and always done it this way. I was told I believe by Geek Master or one of the Developer forum guys to do it this way and it's always work. You would be amazed how long you get on that first factory charge. My K3 I got over a month on and it was half way. It keeps the battery meter accurate too. I've have never had my Kindle battery go dead. I charge when it tells me it's time charge. My K3 battery is still as strong as the day I got it. My battery meter is always accurate.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My K3 battery is still as strong as the day I got it.
I'm sorry, but it isn't . All lithium batteries degrade with time, regardless of how often or not you charge them. This ageing effect is completely independent of the separate degradation due to the number of charge cycles. You may not have noticed the reduction in capacity yet, but believe me, it is occurring. By the time the battery is 3 years old, it will have lost somewhere between about a third and a half of its original capacity, and there isn't a thing you can do to prevent that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #105
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but it isn't . All lithium batteries degrade with time, regardless of how often or not you charge them. This ageing effect is completely independent of the separate degradation due to the number of charge cycles.
If that degradation actually occurs to any great degree. A friend of mine with some experience in battery chemistry said that it's relatively insignificant compared to the internal resistance rise effect you mention below.

Quote:
You may not have noticed the reduction in capacity yet, but believe me, it is occurring. By the time the battery is 3 years old, it will have lost somewhere between about a third and a half of its original capacity, and there isn't a thing you can do to prevent that.
Technically this isn't a loss of capacity: its capacity is as great as it ever was. It's just a rise of internal resistance, so the battery becomes unwilling to give you back ever more of the charge it's storing.

There is also something you can do to prevent it, in theory: keep the Kindle in a non-oxygenated atmosphere. Pure nitrogen will do (vacuum seems likely to damage the thing in other ways). A little impractical, though.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote