Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Going back to a version so out of date is quite drastic. Go to Source forge and try newer versions until it breaks again. Find out exactly what version is the first to show the problem.

Also, you might want to try the Portable version and see if that exhibits the same error.
OK, I'm starting a -- sort of -- binary search to try to limit the number of steps I'll need to find the latest version that doesn't crash on me.

I started, as you know, with 8.17. I've now jumped to 8.37 and it seems to be working properly.

I'll play with 37 for a while. The next step will be 8.47 if 37 doesn't exhibit the issue.

It will take some time but I'll eventually get there. Hopefully I won't have to try too may versions. Or, maybe, some version past 87 will do the job.

CL
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect bad RAM (Get and run MEMTEST86+ overnight or unless fails show up sooner. then you know what to do )
additionally
Check your HD for errors .
OK, I ran RAM test. Everything is OK. I'll check the HD next.

CL
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frostschutz: If you're using PyQt4 4.9.2, don't, it's broken (and triggers this kind of issue in calibre). The 4.9.3 update fixes the issue.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Bobioden
Connoisseur
Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Bobioden could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad rMini
I had my first crash ever using 0.8.57 today trying to convert a Mobi Cookbook to Epub. It just rotated forever, then crashed. I restarted my computer, and tried again to the same result. I never had this problem before.
Bobioden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
clittle
Zealot

Oh well. Had the same issue with 37. Now trying 8.27

CL
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
clittle
Zealot

27 seems good. Now on to 8.32

CL
Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
clittle
Zealot

8.32 seems solid. I don't know if it's worth the effort to go to 8.34.

Maybe I'll take a break for a bit.

CL
Old 06-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't anything in 0.8.33 that looks likely to cause random crashes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There isn't anything in 0.8.33 that looks likely to cause random crashes.
Thanks Kovid,

I went up to 8.33 and it seems to be working well.

Might I ask, if there's nothing in 8.33 that looks likely to cause random crashes, doesn't that suggest there may be something in later versions that might cause crashes?

If so, do you have plans to weed out those issues?

I'm looking forward to catching up to some future latest version when that version fixes the problems I've been having.

Again, thanks for a great product!

CL
Old 06-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is I cannot reproduce this issue and I have no idea what is causing it for you. So it's a little hard to fix. If you can figure out exactly which version of calibre starts crashing for you, that might help, but given the nature of your crashes, which seem to just happen randomly at any point in the code, I'm not optimistic that I'll be able to figure out the cause, even then.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #26
clittle
Zealot

Hi Kovid,

It's become pretty clear how to reproduce the issue. All I do is edit the author on the main window (i.e. not in "Edit Metadata").

When I download books I often end up with names like "Last, First". So sometimes I reverse them to "First Last" by double clicking on Last (to select it)<rt click cut><del><del>(to get rid of the ", ")<end><space><ctrl v>.

After a couple of these, or sometimes even the first time, C just closes without any error message.

It seems to be rather consistently reproducible though not always the first time or two.

This happens on Win 7.

Hope that helps,

CL
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The problem is that doesn't reproduce it for me. I tried that 5 times of my win7 machine and calibre did not crash.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #28
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
+1 from me Kovid, I did it at least 10 times without a crash on my 64-bit Win 7 machine, and have had no stability issues with calibre for a very long time.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

One completely random suggestion: Try changing your interface font in Preferences->Look & feel to something standard like Arial or Verdana
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #30
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
One completely random suggestion: Try changing your interface font in Preferences->Look & feel to something standard like Arial or Verdana
Hi Kovid,

Thanks for the tip.

I changed the font to Arial. It had been "MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt]" but I have no idea how it got set that way.

Then installed 8.58. No go. The exact same problem.

Oh well, back to 8.33 which seems solid.

CL