Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
vinhattieu
vinhattieu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Need Kindle 3's Caecilia fonts

Hi there. I am a newbie here and I have a favor to ask. I tried looking at older threads but relevant ones that I found are already closed so I have to open a new one.

I have a Nook Touch but its fonts do not support Unicode, therefore unable to display Vietnamese characters correctly. I also have a Kindle 3 and really like its Caecilia.

Can anybody here send me the Caecilia font set on Kindle 3 so that I can install them on my Nook.

Many thanks.
vinhattieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Try these...They worked on a Kobo Touch. I'm not sure about the Nook Touch though.

http://fontpark.net/en/search/Caecilia/1/
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
vinhattieu

@jswinden: Thanks. However, I read somewhere that Kindle 3's Caecilia is different from the ordinary Caecilia, because Amazon has optimized it for e-ink screen. That's why I need K3's font set specifically.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

That might be correct, however I suspect that Amazon gets it to display so well due to their firmware innovations.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
vinhattieu

Anybody able to help?
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got the Kindle 3 WiFi SO. I tried to look for the fonts on it but Amazon has most of the file system hidden. Even unhiding system files within Windows File Explorer didn't make many files show up on the Kindle. Perhaps someone who knows Linux can help you. But as I stated above, I think you are wasting you time based on poor advice. Why don't you just try the Caecilia fonts I pointed you too and see if they work. It never hurts to try things.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is Amazon's version of the font in the public domain? Is it legal to copy it if you don't have a Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is Amazon's version of the font in the public domain? Is it legal to copy it if you don't have a Kindle?
Good points. The FontPark fonts are legal to use, as far as I can tell, and I really don't think they vary much from the Kindle. I've used them on a Kobo Touch and a Sony 350, and they both look great. The Kindle definitely renders the text better, but I think that is due more to Amazon having better rendering software.

I'm not sure how he can sideload fonts to the Nook Touch anyway as it does not natively support that feature without jailbreaking. He might try embedding fonts in his ePubs, but I'm not familiar with the Nook so I don't know whether it would use them.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
vinhattieu

@HarryT: I think it's a copyrighted one. I do have a Kindle 3, therefore I think it's fine if I extract the font to use on another device of mine. But I don't know much about jailbreaking, which is why I am looking for some help here.

@jswinden: I tried your link, but this version is not a full Unicode one and it doesn't display Vietnamese correctly. Thanks anyway.

FYI, the Nook Touch can be hacked and its system fonts can be replaced. Of course by doing so you will void your warranty. Nook Touch is a great device but its fonts do not support non-English character.

Last edited by vinhattieu; 07-21-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhattieu View Post

FYI, the Nook Touch can be hacked and its system fonts can be replaced. Of course by doing so you will void your warranty. Nook Touch is a great device but its fonts do not support non-English character.
One method for dealing with this is to embed the fonts in the ePub file. I happen to use InDesign for this, but you should be able to do it without any special tools. For example, see: http://blog.threepress.org/2009/09/1...in-epub-files/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

The freeware Sigil is also easy to use and quite capable of embedding fonts. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
thayerwilliams
thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.thayerwilliams is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
If you jailbreak your Kindle 3 and install the font hack, it will automatically back up the original fonts (including Caecilia) to a user-accessible directory on the Kindle.
thayerwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thayerwilliams View Post
If you jailbreak your Kindle 3 and install the font hack, it will automatically back up the original fonts (including Caecilia) to a user-accessible directory on the Kindle.
... and at that point you should be able to open the fonts in a decent font viewer (simply double-click on the font file if you're using Windows) to read the copyright notice.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
vinhattieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I was able to do this a few months ago using this method. Its not easy but works!
There are at least two more methods to do so: use Atlantis Word Processor to save word file as epub with font embedded or convert source file to epub using Calibre.

However, even these solutions need the font itself.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM   #15
vinhattieu

Still waiting