Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
If English is not your primary language

I would like to hear why there seem to be so few modern e-books available, as opposed to English - recent, non-public domain ones?

I understand that many folks, who would have e-readers, usually read English well, but what about books in your own languages that haven't been translated, or lose something, or it's just less work not to read in English?

Thanks!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am not sure I do understand your question. Do you think we don't get books in our languages?

I am to lazy to count but will provide a couple of links for German ebook shops.

libreka with and without DRM

libri with DRM and having a big Mobi section also

ciando with DRM

beam without DRM
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In France there is fnac
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you -- I had not thought there was very much in the way of new ebooks. Then again, German seems to offer a lot more audiobooks than other non-English languages, too.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Thank you -- I had not thought there was very much in the way of new ebooks. Then again, German seems to offer a lot more audiobooks than other non-English languages, too.
This I don't know. I do not listen to audiobooks.

The amount of translated books depends on your countrys culture. The Scandinavians do not get the pictures translated and do speak very good English by this, we, the Italians, the Spanish and the French get everything translated, thus the rate of people with a decent command of the English language is very low.
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
In france, numilog and ePagine.

For germany, there is txtr too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Jovvi
Connoisseur
Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jovvi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Cybook Opus, iPad and HTC Wildfire (Android)
Well in Sweden the ebook market is now slowly beginning to pick up. We have one company Elib, that is in charge of distributing practically all ebooks, both for sale and also those you can borrow at the library. The major publishers i Sweden have now made the decided to publish all the major new titles as ebooks, the backlist will hopefully follow.

Then again, as have been stated here many scandinavians read english without much problems, however most still prefer reading in our own language. I don´t but then I read mostly english books even before my ebookreading days.

I year ago I was hard pressed to find any swedish ebook I wanted to read, a problem for me when trying to advocate ereading to friends and people at work (I´m a librarian), now however several of the swedish bestsellers ar available as ebooks, even att the library.

Clara
Jovvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A lot of new books are now available in Dutch, it's only the back-catalog that is severely lacking...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
The availability of e-books here in Norway is abysmal, seeing as the publishers have just begun offering such. Personally I couldn't care less, as I never read books in Norwegian anyway. In fact, having been born an Anglophile, I'm not entirely sure if English isn't in fact my first language....
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
On my blog I gave my answer to that question for France. But I think we are improving a bit.
An additional point not explicited in the post is that now, "old school" publishers try and "control" the rise of ebooks.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello

In Portugal the eBook marked is almost inexistent and the few modern examples of modern literature that one can buy in eBook format are in the boundary of useless compared the pBook offerings.

Reason: stupid, mostly useless publishers who continuously see eBooks not as a opportunity but as a danger to their crystallized everyday selling existence.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There are thousands of e-books available in my first and second language. Perhaps a hundred of those are available as a legal purchase and couple of hundred are available legally, as a scan (and quality OCR) of books with expired copyright.

The rest ... I shall not discuss on this forum ;-)

EDIT:
Disclaimer: I read vast majority of books in English. This is why I started with e-books many, many years ago.

Last edited by kacir; 01-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks, folks!

I guess including a Portuguese dictionary wouldn't be a great resource as there aren't that many ebooks available, although I'd like to have one for e-newspapers!

I wonder whether in France e-reading is looked down on as "American"?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
In France there is fnac
Darty just started carrying e-readers (an interesting selection, even!) and they offer e-books online, too. Haven't bought anything yet from them, but their prices on new books may be a little better than fnac.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
... I wonder whether in France e-reading is looked down on as "American"?
Not so far as I am aware. I frequently use my reader when I'm out and about, often in cafés, restaurants and airport, without drawing so much as a curious glance. People here use a wide variety of different electronic gadgets, including smart-phones, tablets, netbooks, laptops, etc - much like elsewhere - so a black and white e-ink reader is not exactly a crowd puller!

Addendum
The Feb/Mar issue of Linux Pratique Essential contains reviews of both the Pocketbook 360° and Sony PRS-650. In the latter, it says the reader is recognised by GNU/Linux, as a hard disk, and the Library software supplied is not supported (however, this application is reserved for the American market). Whereas, I thought it could be used in the EU.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-28-2011 at 06:41 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote