Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
shanghai
shanghai began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin-Astak EZ Reader
Post Reader without touch

Dear all,

what is a good reader with as many of these specs as possible:

- No touchscreen. Old fashioned buttons are better than finger-smudged, oversensitive screens
- Big memory, or SD to hold PDF files
- Bookshop-agnostic
- Good at reading PDF (meaning: not too slow page-turning and possibly PDF reflow)
- E-ink + backlight for night reading

Thank you for answers/suggestions/comments.
D.
shanghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I don't think an eInk reader with a frontlight and no touchscreen exists.

Onyx and Pocketbook (possibly some others), I think, offer models with frontlighting and page turn buttons though, so at least there's that. I don't know how good any 6-6.8'' eInk reader is for PDFs though (that is going to depend heavily on individual preference - e.g. what is acceptable speed for one may be intolerably slow for another).

For what it's worth, my personal experience with touchscreens is that fingerprint smudges are a considerably lesser problem on eInk screens than they are on LCD screens. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're invisible (I know some say they can't see fingerprints on an eInk screen at all) but they're definitely considerably less visible than I was afraid of.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No e-ink tablet is very good at displaying PDF. Some are not as bad, and you can use tools like k2pdfopt to try to overcome the inherent flaws in PDF, but if you are going to be reading mostly PDF, you really should get a tablet.

And like Yapyap said, there really aren't any frontlit ereaders without touchscreen. You might want to try out different touchscreen-enabled ereaders to see how sensitive they are (and how noticeable fingerprints really are) but if you decide that you really don't want one, well, you will have to go with old tech that doesn't have frontlight. You can, however, find lighted covers for (probably) all of them.

All ereaders are bookshop-agnostic, as you can sideload anything you want (and use calibre to format-shift), with the exception of the most recent Nook Glowlight, which restricts the memory to store-synced books except for a tiny fraction of the built-in memory -- and doesn't have an SD card.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Onyx Book T68 may perhaps be the best choice for you. Although it has a touch screen, in also has page turn buttons, and is a general-purpose Android tablet, so you can install your favourite PDF-reading app on it. It has an SD card slot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghai View Post
Dear all,

what is a good reader with as many of these specs as possible:

- No touchscreen. Old fashioned buttons are better than finger-smudged, oversensitive screens
- Big memory, or SD to hold PDF files
- Bookshop-agnostic
- Good at reading PDF (meaning: not too slow page-turning and possibly PDF reflow)
- E-ink + backlight for night reading

Thank you for answers/suggestions/comments.
D.
It might be a little hard for you to find, depending on where you live, but the Sony PRS-T3 is close:

- has buttons; you still need to use touchscreen for menu navigation but having page turn, back, menu, and home buttons available cuts down on how often you need to touch the screen

- medium-ish memory; comes with around 1.5GB built it and a micro SD slot for memory card

- bookshop agnostic; uses Adobe DRM so you can buy from any epub seller

- PDF reading; around the same as other readers for page turns, but you can read many PDFs in reflow mode

- e-ink screen. No backlight but there is an OEM cover with integrated backlight if you want.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
To the other knowlegeable peeps: wasn't there a 9inch Kindle pre-touchscreens which was good for reading PDF? I think it was called something like a Kindle DX? Are they still available? Edit: just googled this and according to this article, which is a year old, they are still sold:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/05/am...eader-for-299/

Apart from that I think a tablet would be the best option. I've seen a review of the Onyx Book T68 on youtube and thought that if you want all those apps you'd be better with a tablet than an ereader, but I didn't realise it was eink and not lcd.

To the OP: I thought I'd hate a touchscreen, but after purchasing the Kindle PW2, I very quickly got used to it. I just give the screen a quick wipe with a pc screen cleaner occasionally. Don't notice the slight smudges. I've adjusted to the screen's sensitivity level. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for PDF's though. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to avoid epub readers imho, because of the new DRM. (There is another thread about this.)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231939
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241904
Apart from this new epub issue Apprentice Alf and Calibre are your friends in making a reader bookshop agnostic.

Last edited by BookCat; 07-06-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Googling
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
To the other knowlegeable peeps: wasn't there a 9inch Kindle pre-touchscreens which was good for reading PDF? I think it was called something like a Kindle DX? Are they still available? Edit: just googled this and according to this article, which is a year old, they are still sold:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/05/am...eader-for-299/

Apart from that I think a tablet would be the best option. I've seen a review of the Onyx Book T68 on youtube and thought that if you want all those apps you'd be better with a tablet than an ereader, but I didn't realise it was eink and not lcd.

To the OP: I thought I'd hate a touchscreen, but after purchasing the Kindle PW2, I very quickly got used to it. I just give the screen a quick wipe with a pc screen cleaner occasionally. Don't notice the slight smudges. I've adjusted to the screen's sensitivity level. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for PDF's though. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to avoid epub readers imho, because of the new DRM. (There is another thread about this.)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231939
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241904
Apart from this new epub issue Apprentice Alf and Calibre are your friends in making a reader bookshop agnostic.
Op need backlight
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
Op need backlight
He can't have one. It's impossible to have a backlight on an eInk device, because the screen is opaque. That's why illuminated eInk devices have a frontlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote