Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Oh, my bad. It is possible to move and have Kindle associated with another country. I looked at a book in Amazon.de, and got these 2 interesting things. First is part of the page on right hand side - and the 2nd is the page that shows when following the link.
That's exactly what I always ran into when I checked out kindle books on amazon.fr and .de - so frustrating when so many books are not available here in the US.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Could this be related to the newly opened Canadian Kindle store (yesterday)? Only since then is Amazon prompting users to switch their kindle accounts from the US to Canada, if they so wish?
When I look at the second snapshot (in my first post) it says: "...available Kindle stores for your country".
And for "my country" Germany I only find Amazon US.

This looks, as if they've established some kind of "country pairs".
Or, in general, Amazon US is the only alternative, if any. Meaning: Some country treaties allow for the US as an alternative Kindle store, others don't.
Anyway, whatever may be the background, it seems to be something new...
Still a bit strange: I've got an address in the UK as well. One should think, it's easier to shop within the EU (Germany <----> UK), than pairing Germany and the US...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've switched my account to the US address.
Now both Kindle Fire HDs (7" from Germany, 8.9" from the US) show the US store, even lovefilm US.
When switching back to Germany, strange enough the 7" Fire HD from Germany shows lovefilm Germany. The 8.9" Fire HD from the US does not.
And the 8.9" Fire HD from the US then doesn't show some links in the shop (in the Kindle UI, not the website) as well: Videos and Music don't exist then.

Hmmm....
Somehow it's not only about the account and residence, as both Fires are registered to the same account and the same country. Still the 8.9" Fire HD from the US somehow seems to "remember" his origins.

Anyway...
If I don't find any new hurdles, for example lovefilm showing the films but not playing them outside of the US, I'll stick to the US account.
Only downside I've found so far: Some purchases have international fees, for example daily newspaper transfers. But this only would apply to 3G, which wouldn't work on the US Fire HD outside of the US anyway...

All a bit confusing...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
That is possible related to the device itself. See this related thread with a similar problem: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198893
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mgmueller, how many times did you switch between Germany and US yesterday? Just wondering if you could switch back to Germany unhindered.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Mgmueller, how many times did you switch between Germany and US yesterday? Just wondering if you could switch back to Germany unhindered.
Maybe 3 times. Never had any problems in switching, neither direction.

I've been asked once (or maybe twice) from Amazon, why I've been switching. But this was ca. 2009, I think before the international Kindles did appear.
And my explanation was simple: I'm traveling a lot. Most of the time I live in Germany, but frequently I'm in the US for a few weeks.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm

Three times in one day without any issues. Hmmm. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Three times in one day without any issues. Hmmm. Thanks!
As they openly invite me to do so, there shouldn't be any issues.
I haven't read all the proclaimers.
But at a first glance, nothing such as "have to be resident of XXX" sticks out.
They just say "wold you like to shop from Amazon US and pay in Dollars?"...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
xendula
eBookworm

And do they also ask you if you would like to shop at amazon.de and pay in Euros?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
And do they also ask you if you would like to shop at amazon.de and pay in Euros?
In my very first post in this thread you see the respective snapshot.
They offer to choose between Germany in Euros and US in Dollars.
I only see this description in Amazon Germany.
If I switch to the US, there I only see the well known "switch country".
But then, back in the German account, again I see the description.
My personal guess: Amazon Germany as a subsidiary of Amazon US somehow (tax implications and such) is linked to their "mothership". But not the other way around...
Still, pretty cool. Close to actually becoming "global".
Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Still, pretty cool. Close to actually becoming "global".
Global would mean that I log in amazon.de with my us account, and buy a book there paying with US$, and if you wanted an english one, you could pick the us or uk store buying in €.

At least that would make sense to me.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Global would mean that I log in amazon.de with my us account, and buy a book there paying with US$, and if you wanted an english one, you could pick the us or uk store buying in €.

At least that would make sense to me.
Well, in the web you can do so.
On your PC, you can log into Amazon.de and Amazon.com as you please. You don't have to sign out off one to sign into the other. You, in parallel, can purchase on both websites in the respective currencies. And your books appear in your defined account.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Well, in the web you can do so.
On your PC, you can log into Amazon.de and Amazon.com as you please. You don't have to sign out off one to sign into the other. You, in parallel, can purchase on both websites in the respective currencies. And your books appear in your defined account.
Kindle books don't. I can't buy a kindle book from amazon.de. Look in the post with the 2 screenshots - first screen shot shows how I can't buy it.

edit: post #12 - the green rectangle is where normally the buy button is. And underlined by me - won't even tell me the price.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Kindle books don't. I can't buy a kindle book from amazon.de. Look in the post with the 2 screenshots - first screen shot shows how I can't buy it.

edit: post #12 - the green rectangle is where normally the buy button is. And underlined by me - won't even tell me the price.
One seems to be able to do so, if the "leading account" is outside of the US: Then you swap to the US and buy there. It doesn't seem to work vice versa. If your "leading account" is US, you can't use Germany or other countries.
It seems...
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #30
fauxpas
Connoisseur
fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fauxpas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW
So, I just changed my Kindle account from Germany to US and now I'm trying to buy the "Complete Sherlock Holmes Kindle Edition" which supposedly is free at the moment and it says so in the bestseller list.. when I click on it, though, it doesn't give me an option to buy and says "pricing information not available".. does anyone else have that problem?
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote