Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Help select our book reading for June. Select one of the following:
Persuasion by Jane Austen 11 18.97%
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells 9 15.52%
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway 2 3.45%
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott 10 17.24%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 7 12.07%
Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout 2 3.45%
The Call of the Wild by Jack London 4 6.90%
Discourse on the Method by René Descartes 4 6.90%
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway 2 3.45%
Middlemarch by George Eliot 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I really like the variety on offer this month. When I first glanced at this thread early this morning the voting was visible. So like Caleb I was going to wait to see if any particular titles took off as I have already read a few of these, and frankly thought a couple of those were just not very good.

However, with the poll now changed to hidden there is no reason to wait. Though I have my doubts about how much I will like Persuasion, if it is not selected here I will probably never consider reading it so I'd like that inducement.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
<snip>By the way, where are the links for the various editions of War of the Worlds being hosted by MR (for FREE)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
There's an H.G.Wells Omnibus which includes War of the Worlds available here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128580
I've added the below links in to all the posts (this thread and the others for book club).
/ ePub & mobi by JSWolf | ePub & mobi by HarryT | ePub Omnibus & mobi Omnibus by crich70

Quote:
Just added a KF8/AZW3 version of War of the Worlds.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178925
I just came back and saw your post for this one. I'll see about getting that one in also.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I voted for Ivanhoe since I nominated it and I plan on reading it regardless, but I wouldn't mind re-reading Persuasion or The Three Musketeers either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm looking for some action with either Moveable Feast or Persuasion before I vote.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I really like the variety on offer this month. When I first glanced at this thread early this morning the voting was visible. So like Caleb I was going to wait to see if any particular titles took off as I have already read a few of these, and frankly thought a couple of those were just not very good.

However, with the poll now changed to hidden there is no reason to wait. Though I have my doubts about how much I will like Persuasion, if it is not selected here I will probably never consider reading it so I'd like that inducement.
A good place to have Persuasion win is in the romance month. There are some better books nominated this month. So please don't drag them down with a dreary romance book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I've added the below links in to all the posts (this thread and the others for book club).
/ ePub & mobi by JSWolf | ePub & mobi by HarryT | ePub Omnibus & mobi Omnibus by crich70

I just came back and saw your post for this one. I'll see about getting that one in also.
Please remove the links for the ePub omnibus as it is known to crash a 505 because it has a number of errors that need fixing. The ePub by HarryT also has a number of errors (according to FlightCrew) and could maybe also cause problems. Two of the errors are structural errors in the OPF.

I put up a new clean ePub because I found it easier to convert and fix up the Mobipocket version I previously created then to go and fix one of the already existing ePub editions.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A good place to have Persuasion win is in the romance month. There are some better books nominated this month. So please don't drag them down with a dreary romance book.
In terms of literary merit, the only other nomination this month to equal Persuasion is Middlemarch. I'll happily reread either, but Persuasion is shorter. Classics can come in a lot of forms and I have no issue with any book on this month's list, but to dismiss Persuasion as "a dreary romance" shows you don't know whereof you write. I assume you've never read it?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I voted for Persuasion.
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I voted for Persuasion.
Me too, if it was not clear from my previous post.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
I voted for Persuasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Me too, if it was not clear from my previous post.
Point taken.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #26
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would like to read The War of the Worlds, Ivanoe, Fer de Lance, The Call of the Wild and Discourse on the Method. I can't recall a month when there were so many that I had to choose from.

I voted for Fer de Lance because it is a twentieth century work, more modern than most of the others.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Overall, this is a pretty good month for classics. Most of the time, we end up with mostly moldy oldies not worth reading.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #28
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Since the MR Omnibus volume of H G Wells seems to have problems, it is worth noting that the iTunes store has an inexpensive Wells collection: The Time Machine, and Other Stories.

It includes:

The Time Machine
The War of the Worlds
The Island of Doctor Moreau
The First Men In The Moon
The Invisible Man
The Country of the Blind
The Door In the Wall and Other Stories
Tono-Bungay

It has an active TOC which will allow the reader to switch between the lndividual volumes--but does not allow one to navigate within specific books {other than by using bookmarks}-which some might find annoying. Despite that failing in formatting, it is an economical way of getting a group of novels by this significant author--Amazon doesn't seem to have an inexpensive single volume ebook collection of Wells----something I would really like to have----

Last edited by fantasyfan; 05-22-2012 at 05:05 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #29
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Argh - please not Middlemarch! Is it seriously nearly 1000 pages? There's no way I can factor that in to any reading plans for quite a while.

If the tidal wave pushes Persuasion to the front I believe I will finally read my first Austen. At around 200 pages it's probably a gentle introduction.

(but I'd really prefer Old Man and the Sea - or The War of the Worlds - or The Call of the Wild - hint hint)

Just for the sake of conversation though, Ivanhoe and The Three Musketeers would be on my TBR list as well. I just don't have a timeline for it. I've decided that I need to re-read all the classics that I read "younger reader" versions of when I was a young whippersnapper.

I'm trying to remember what they all are, but they would include (I think):
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
- Ivanhoe
- A Tale of Two Cities
- The Three Musketeers
- Treasure Island
- Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (scheduled this for 2013)
- Robinson Crusoe

There might be one or two more.

I decided I wanted to honour these books because looking back I have fairly strong memories of these books kindling the passion I have for reading. I still remember the enthusiasm with which I devoured them way back then.

It's about time I read them as they were supposed to be read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Discourse on the Method by René Descartes. A must read! Show some love, folks!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote