Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Blackberry tablet

Has anyone had a chance to check out the new Blackberry tablet. They have opted for 7" which is very interesting. Also of interest is the 32GB model still holds on to the $299 price tag, and a 16GB model is also offered. Hopefully this is the start of the road back for this company.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
There are already threads on this forum about the playbook (and it's not new...it's a year old now)...you may wish to refer to them.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Yep, the Playbook has been out for almost a year, first released in April 2011. It's just back in the news this week as they have released an upgrade for the OS.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
There are already threads on this forum about the playbook (and it's not new...it's a year old now)...you may wish to refer to them.
Let me make it abundantly clear, young fellow, when you get to be my age a year aint nuttin.
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
Let me make it abundantly clear, young fellow, when you get to be my age a year aint nuttin.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
You are, of course, correct Senior that "a year ain't nuttin" (sic), as long as you are referring to the year(s) behind you. However, when it comes to the year in front of you, every second is surely "sumthin".

You may have been a little bit harsh on mr-nobody who was just trying to point out that the info you were seeking was already available in the forums somewhere.

From another 'Grumpy Old Guy'
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Uh, yeah, my point being that in fact in tech, a year is an eon. :P
Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
mr_nobody
Evangelist

And to get back on topic, I thought these two articles in the g&m today point to the answer to the question of whether this will be rim's redemption:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2348827/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2348845/

I'll let you draw your own conclusions...
Old 02-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
While Netflix might be nice I almost never use it on the Vox either. Using it on the Plasma TV with the xbox/kinect is just nicer.

Don't care about the Kindle app.

Hope RIM and the PlayBook and Kobo and Vox survive, time will tell.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #10
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I bought myself a Playbook last week for $85 used via online classifieds, with the official leather convertable case, and I am elated. To compare it's performance to the Vox is a joke. The Playbook is a fire breathing monster...with nothing to do.

I have come to grips with the lack of netflix, which is the main app missing. Most other functions work fine. Some dislike it, but the Kobo app on it is fine unless you want to add books from non-Kobo sources, and I believe you can load the Android Kobo reader on it if you have the older firmware.

As a tablet, the Playbook destroys the Vox, and spits out it's obsolete-on-launch wussiness. As a reader, I think the Playbook wins as well, though the Vox takes a greater variety of books with the default apps, and the Reading Life gimmick was fun.

In short, at a clearance price, the Playbook is DEFINITLEY worth it to someone who wants a tablet that can read books as well. It's multitasking, video playing, and web browsing capabilities are absolutely stunning.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
This being the Vox subforum, does the Playbook do what the Vox does best? Is there a Playbook ereader subforum here? My Vox is a great ereader, which is why I got it.

Here is what I know about the Playbook: My daughter-in-law got one when they were first available for $200 through RIM employees. It was an interesting play-toy, but she wanted to read ebooks and couldn't with the original OS and no Kobo app. by the time that was available, her PB had died due to terminal discharging to where it would no longer charge. After a couple of months of emails and phone tag, she received a FedEx package to return it. Recently, a month later, she just got another FedEx package to return it because it seems the one she sent back got lost. Meanwhile, she got a Vox and is happily reading books on it.

Remember, the Vox is a READER that can double as a tablet in a pinch, not vice versa.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would argue that the Vox is a weak color tablet with a good ereading app. The Vox is no more an ereader than my android phone is. Ereaders have Eink screens, and no backlight.

Last edited by Anjohl; 11-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote