Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Windows testers needed

Hi all,

I just upgraded the calibre windows build to use the newly released Qt 4.7. This should hopefully mean various speedups, particularly in the ebook viewer, as well as basic support for touchscreens (though this is impossible for me to test, since I dont have any touchscreen devices capable of running calibre).

In my testing I've seen startup times fall from between 0-30% (depending on the test system).

However, as with any major upgrade, I'm sure some things broke. I've been using a Qt 4.7 based version of calibre on linux for a few days and nothing that I do seems broken, but I'm sure all of you do a lot of things I don't. I'd appreciate it if we could find those breakages before the next release, so please test

The Qt 4.7 based build is available here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/b...bre-0.7.27.msi

Note that if you have already upgraded to calibre 0.7.27, you will need to uninstall before installing this build (don't worry, uninstalling will not touch your books or settings).

Thanks.

EDIT: I should add that this build should be perfectly safe (all that's changed is Qt, the toolkit used to draw the calibre user interface, the only bugs I am anticipating are related to calibre not starting/behaving oddly with some input devices/monitors, that sort of thing). If you do experience any such problems, just report them and go back to the normal calibre build.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-09-2010 at 03:59 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Thanks Kovid, will report on my findings.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Win XP SP3
Speed improvement noticeable
Startup faster
Sent a bunch of books to mt Astack PP,. lots quicker on the rpre-send portion. (using USB 1.x with this device that hates Intel USB)

I have yet to have anything to convert to EPUB, but can't imagine it will suffer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Wow, the ebook viewer is *insanely* fast now. Previously, I thought maybe something was wrong on my end when I used the ebook viewer because it could take 15 seconds to "load flow" (or something like that) on every book. It is now pretty much instantaneous. I haven't tried much of anything else yet but I specifically wanted to test the ebook viewer first.

Thanks for the update!
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Wow, the ebook viewer is *insanely* fast now. Previously, I thought maybe something was wrong on my end when I used the ebook viewer because it could take 15 seconds to "load flow" (or something like that) on every book. It is now pretty much instantaneous. I haven't tried much of anything else yet but I specifically wanted to test the ebook viewer first.

Thanks for the update!
Unfortunately not for me. Viewer opening is still the same as is the installation process.

Win 7 64 bit Intel Xeon 5365 (3GHz quad core) 8G RAM.

Tested on EPUB and PDB formats.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I can test the touchscreen capability on my HP TX2 convertible tablet (my main Calibre device). It's on Win7-64. I'll try to install in the next day or two and get back with you on it.

It would be really cool to get working. The icons are big and touch-friendly, so all it really needs is touch-based scrolling and such to become very useful in tablet mode.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi all,

I just upgraded the calibre windows build to use the newly released Qt 4.7. This should hopefully mean various speedups, particularly in the ebook viewer, as well as basic support for touchscreens (though this is impossible for me to test, since I dont have any touchscreen devices capable of running calibre).
What specific things does QT 4.7 add to work with touchscreens?
I have a Mimo 740 touchscreen hanging of my HTPC (Win7) which also downloads some news in the morning and haven't had any problems navigating Calibre with it.

Just curious and going to try it.

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Fiddled a bit with it on XP SP3, feels faster (subjectively), the ebook viewer is definitely faster. I found something odd that may or may not be a bug: On the metadata edit dialog, in search & replace mode, there are some untranslated strings that weren't present in the original 0.7.27. The strings are the first paragraph of the help text ("You can destroy your library...") and the first sentence of the next paragraph ("Search and replace in text fields..."). Unless you're using a different set of translation strings in the test version, there's something going on there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I agree, it's a lot faster.

But I also found a bug. I always minimize it to my system tray. But I can't get it out anymore by double-clicking it. I need to use my right mouse click and select "Restore"
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree, it's a lot faster.

But I also found a bug. I always minimize it to my system tray. But I can't get it out anymore by double-clicking it. I need to use my right mouse click and select "Restore"
What version of Windows are you running?
This works as normal on XP SP3 (en)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What version of Windows are you running?
This works as normal on XP SP3 (en)
XP SP3... (oh, English)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
A lot faster, but...
I just merged a few different entries and it did merge the records, but copied the title (and possibly other data) of the to be merged entry over the correct first selected entry.

Re installed normal 7.27 and done exactly same operations and it worked as it should, preserving the first selected entry's data.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I found something odd that may or may not be a bug: On the metadata edit dialog, in search & replace mode, there are some untranslated strings that weren't present in the original 0.7.27. The strings are the first paragraph of the help text ("You can destroy your library...") and the first sentence of the next paragraph ("Search and replace in text fields..."). Unless you're using a different set of translation strings in the test version, there's something going on there.
Those strings changed to remove the 'experimental' words.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Those strings changed to remove the 'experimental' words.
Ah, I didn't notice that. And I suspect they haven't shown up on the translations page because that page is only for the trunk version, right?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Ah, I didn't notice that. And I suspect they haven't shown up on the translations page because that page is only for the trunk version, right?
The changes are in 'trunk', but I don't think that is enough. I see log entries from time to time saying 'update translations', and I suspect that operation is what makes the changes available.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote