Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
Problem upgrading calibre on windows XP

i had installed calibre on a windows xp machine (thinkpad X61p). worked ok.´that was .4.120
when i tried to upgrade t0 .4.124, i closed the windo and right clicked on claibre icon in my tray and selected quit. the calibre icon still remains in the tray but doesnt respond to any mouse click (no menu pops up). the only way to get rid of the icon is either by killing the process 'calibre' or rebooting. and while this process is still running, upgrades dont work well either.

the problem is the same now for .4.125

is someone else also seeing this problem? is there a solution?

/bazmi.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You are right in that if the Calibre process is still running you will not be able to upgrade.

I tend to switch the tray icon off in the configuration screens. I also tend to quit Calibre from the main window using CTRL-Q which terminates the Calibre process even if you have the Tray icon active..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What happens if you press Ctrl+Q in the main calibre window?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
bazmi
Enthusiast

inconsistent behaviour. tried three times.

first time i pressed ctrlQ with the calibre window in focus, the icon in the tray went away with a delay of about 1-2 sec.

tried it again, this time the icon stayed in the tray.

with the icon in the tray. launched calibre. window came up and the num of calibre icons in the tray became 2.

killed both the calibre processes. the icons vanished.

started calibre again and tried ctrlQ again. icon still stayed in the tray.

as i said earlier - it isnt a major problem but a little bit annoying because you have to manually kill the process.

anything else i can try out?

/bazmi.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've changed the shutdown code to make it hopefully a little more robust (though it always quits correctly for me), so try the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
bazmi
Enthusiast

thanks very much.