Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
kysenramses
Book Nerd
kysenramses doesn't litterkysenramses doesn't litter

Device: Nvidia Shield; Samsung Galaxy S4
5 vs 3 Books in Mosaic View

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere--I looked and couldn't find anything.

In one of the previous updates, the mosaic widget for the Vox changed from showing 5 books to 3 with the recs bar. It drove me nuts, but as I haven't jailbroken my unit I sucked it up and dealt.

I leave my unit on Airplane mode for most of the time, except in the rare instance that I buy a book from the kobo store and need to sync it.

A few days ago, while on Airplane mode (and thus not connected to wireless), it reverted back to the 5 book cover mode! I was so happy, but I have no idea why it did that.

Last night I synced as I bought a book, and lo and behold, it's back to 3 covers and rec bar.

Does anyone know a) why it would have switched back and b) if there's any way to switch it back to 5 covers permanently?

Thanks!
kysenramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
KoboJason
Kobo Vox Product Manager
KoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipediaKoboJason knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
The mosaic widget will show five books if there are no recommendations downloaded or if all the cached recommendations are older than a month.
KoboJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Thank-you for the info, since it's useful to know.

One suggestion though: it would be handy to have an option to disable the recommendations, especially on the widget. It's a feature that alienates some users. I'll also hazard a guess that the people who turn off recommendations wouldn't purchase a book based upon those recommendations anyhow.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
One suggestion though: it would be handy to have an option to disable the recommendations, especially on the widget. It's a feature that alienates some users. I'll also hazard a guess that the people who turn off recommendations wouldn't purchase a book based upon those recommendations anyhow.
Indeed. I deleted the widget from both my daughters Voxes (Voces?) when it started recommeding 50 Shades of Grey. Granted, they are linked to my kobo account but since I've never bought any book remotely similar and most of the purchases on that account were childrens books I'd seriously look at that recommendation algorithm.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote